Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • What martial art for Glasgow??
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I do remember meeting a hard core Glaswegian woman, who epitomised a certain view of the city. She had been to uni, and had lived in Hong Kong for a few years, working as a PA to a Fortune 500 type CEO

Aye just yer typical weegie wifey. And we don’t say ‘ken’ round these parts unless it’s someones name.

gonefishin
    Free Member

carry a half empty bottle of buckfast and that’s you

Well had he stayed in Lanarshire…

IanMunro
    Free Member

You could try and see if there’s any ecky-thump courses being taught. It’s greatest popularity is in northern england, but it might have crossed the border by now.

Swello
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

no martial arts neded – wear a shell suit, baseball cap (burberry if it’s a big night out) and talk through your nose. make “pure” every third word, end every sentence with “man” and pepper in a few made up words
    “that’s pure belter man”
    “you’re pure radge man”

carry a half empty bottle of buckfast and that’s you

pure sorted man

Radge is an Edinburgh word – no-one uses that in Glasgow – have you ever actually been there or ave you been watching Rab C Nesbitt on UK Gold a bit much? 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

Based on experience of a fair few different styles I would say that Wing Chun is a good one to learn

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bolt ya rocket

rj
    Free Member

I reckon you’re probably worrying about nothing. I’ve lived here for most of my 36 years and I saw more trouble in the 4 years I was in Cambridge than I ever have in Glasgow.
    For yoga you could try the Glasgow Buddist centre http://www.glasgowbuddhistcentre.com, http://www.chiyogacentre.com/, or indeed any of the other dozen or so that Google throws up. For martial arts, have a look at http://www.krauses.i12.com/home.htm.
    It’s a great place to live with nightlife to suit almost any taste, there’s decent trails within easy riding distance at Mugdock park, you can drive to any of the 7 Stanes in a couple of hours and it’s not as pricey as Edinburgh.

BoardinBob

Glasgow is like anywhere else, rough in places but fine most of the time. The local neds are like chavs elsewhere, full of talk but unlikely to resort to physical violence unless provoked.

Glasgow has the highest murder rate in Europe 🙁

Bridgeton in particular is notoriously bad. My wife rented a house there when we first met and walking to the corner shop 100 yards away was a real thrill. Stabbings were a weekly occurence and shootings are on the rise too.

fontmoss
    Free Member

IHN – beat me to it! classic quote

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Coyote
    Based on experience of a fair few different styles I would say that Wing Chun is a good one to learn

Based on experience of a few styles including wing chun and jeet kune do (wing chun modified for streetfighting) I would say that it definately is not.

Last time I looked there were exactly zero people using wing chun in the upper levels of mma competition.

retro83
    Free Member

Last time I looked there were exactly zero people using wing chun in the upper levels of mma competition.

People don’t use weapons against you in MMA, hence Krav Maga is the way forward! Disable the attacker quickly and make an escape.

And also, BJJ is used by many top MMA fighters, about as useful as a chocolate teapot for self defense. Drop to arm-bar = get you face stampted in by attackers mates, hold opponent in choke = get bottle over the head

acjim
    Free Member

My style is the best, and so I challenge You that my style should stand alone!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

retro83

People don’t use weapons against you in MMA, hence Krav Maga is the way forward! Disable the attacker quickly and make an escape.

And also, BJJ is used by many top MMA fighters, about as useful as a chocolate teapot for self defense. Drop to arm-bar = get you face stampted in by attackers mates, hold opponent in choke = get bottle over the head

By all accounts KM is a fantastic system for disarming/disabling attackers sure. I found during my time doing jkd that a lot of the techniques (weapon specifc or disabling), no matter how hard you drilled them just didnt apply in the real world. There’s no intermediate point between trying to talk your way out of a situation and perhaps killing/blinding disfiguring or crippling a person. I for one had difficulty “pulling the trigger” on the few occaisions I might have used it. Actually training to fight makes you comfortable in that world. You can adapt to the situation as oppossed to simply deciding whether or not explode as you tend to need to do with street lethal styles.

As for BJJ being useless in the real world, thats balls. Fights often go to the ground, whether you like it or not, whether the attacker has friends or not. When it happens it’s better to know what to do no?

BJJ/Judo etc drill takedowns throws and TD defence so you’re better equiped to decide where the fight goes at any rate. Obviously a choke can be applied standing, and can have a startling effect on a crowd, again, better to have the skills than not. Anyway, point being – MMA trains in all fighting ranges. If you put say Amir Perets against George Saint Piere in a nhb context in all honesty who do you think would win?

zaskar
    Free Member

The art of humility and walking away from a potential fight?

I studied martial arts for 20 yrs now, different styles and weapons demonstrations like nunchuks, bow and sai kata abroad representing England.

I found it social and good to keep fit but also the art of war spiritual meaning combined with my budhism classes and upbringing.

It’s not just punching and kicking, its so much more than that.

I say learn the styles or style and develop your own to suit your mind and body.

Also practise running long distance-that helps too-punch the bad guy who is going to mug you and run like forrest gump!

Smee
    Free Member

Sweepstake on how long it takes the OP to get stabbed anyone?

You wont last two seconds in Glasgow if you go there with an attitude like that. It is like any other city, if you go looking for trouble you’ll find it. If you dont, you won’t.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Could you not just stay in Australia? :mrgreen:

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Glasgow and Scotland in general are dire. Don’t come here. We’ll deal with this disgusting place without you and your yoga skills. Come to Glasgow, we’ll set aboot yer!

zaskar
    Free Member

I would learn strikes, blocks, reverse weight/strength pressure points and grappling.

Glasgow fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2waapRY-hI&feature=PlayList&p=DB41F2C5F7FC5118&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=16

Smee
    Free Member

If you do decide to take up fighting glasgovians the only technique of any use is STPWO. 😀

davidrussell
    Free Member

4 rules.

1. head
    2. guts
    3. kidneys
    4. nuts

thats all you need to know 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think this will end in tears.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Radge is an Edinburgh word – no-one uses that in Glasgow – have you ever actually been there or ave you been watching Rab C Nesbitt on UK Gold a bit much?

ehhh, would i have learned weegie phraseology by watching rab c?

spent quite a few years in the merchant city (viva rab ha’s), and maybe it being a bit posher than other bits of glasgow i picked up some posh talk
    ..or maybe, mixing with the likes of cap’n flash on here i struggle to distinguish between the embra gadgie and the weegie gadgie

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Why bother learning how to fight? No matter how hard you could be, are you really knife proof? Baseball bat-proof?

Learn the art of confidence and avoidance. Fighting is a last resort when all your other options (loopholing, posturing, verbal) are gone. Don’t put yourself in a situation whereby violence is your only option.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Radge is not a Glasgow word, it is used by those on the other side though.

Sandwich

Self help is the way
    Part One
    Part Two
    Part 3

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

Old skool Ecky thump fusion with Gracie style Jiu-Jitsu 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Like most people, I’ll offer advice on what I do and sign its virtues. However, it’s the only one I’m qualified to talk about.

The most important thing has already been said. The school is more important than the art. That’s why I’ve tried a number of martial arts and settled where I have. There was nothing wrong with the arts but the schools just didn’t do it for me.

My choice is aikido. It doesn’t tick many of the boxes you mention but I still think it’s worth considering. It will help your fitness, but not quickly. You need to master a certain level of technique before you can train hard enough to really push it. However, when you do get there, it really is a serious workout.

Aikido has loads of useful things to teach. Your balance and timing will improve dramatically. As for the self defence element, I’ll be honest, I can’t comment, I’ve never had to use it. It is however, taught to the Tokyo riot police! It’s designed to deal with multiple attackers and to deal with each on is a decissive maner. More importantly than that though, it teaches harmony. Maybe you don’t hear of it in self defence because it isn’t as effective as other, or maybe it’s because aikidoka don’t get into as many fights!

If you’re curious, have a look for Joe Thambu on U-tube. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Somebody has mentioned it already – krav maga. I see guys training in my local park very often. My mate, a kickboxing/capoeira trainee of many a year, tried sparring with them. It looked messy – he attacked, the guy did something, I blinked, mate wriggling on the floor with pain. The end.
    I’ll start one day, but only when I know I’m mentally strong enough.

Smee
    Free Member

There is a european champion on here somewhere. 😉

mema
    Free Member

You want to do yoga and learn a martial arts which are all about self disipline and controlling the mind yet you have such hatred??? Im a weggie born and bred, yep there are bad areas with stabbings and murders but they also happen in every city. I have had more problems with people outwith my city than within.
    Yoga has been invented in glasgow,ok classes aren’t at 6 in the morning but I do classes at 8. They are lots of martial arts groups already mentioned is the Griphouse gym but they don’t take to tossers.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Silat is probably the best martial art to learn if you need to take someone out

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well growing up in Glasgow in the 70s as a lisping english lad I did get bullied a bit. I did Judo and the benefits are still with me to this day in that I fall gracefully and roll rather than just go splat. A very good thing to have if you mountainbike. So I would say judo as it has benefits for mountainbiking

As for using martial arts in streetfighting – forget it unless you are very good. Facing them down and looking scary is the first option, running away is the second.

IME the gadgies will always try to provoke you first – jostling, spilling your pint etc – refuse to get involved.

bruk

Most people with true Eastern Martial art training will learn about discipline and control and therefore will try to avoid the fight! If that isn’t possible then it’s probably cause you are outnumbered etc and the wee neds think it’ll be easy to batter you. in which case you are still better legging it!

Have done Judo in Glasgow at the Uni club and trained at several others in the 90’s. It will really help your fitness and discipline. Most clubs had a great atmosphere back then and you will make some great mates from all walks of life which could be just as vital in avoiding that kicking in the 1st place.

best thing though is find a martial art close to where you are and try it out 1st. People like different things and I could not get on with karate when I tried that first but loved Judo from the start. It is no use doing the hardest martial art if you don’t enjoy it. I’m guessing from the OP previous posts that he isn’t naturally violent like some and may not get on with hardcore stuff initially!

aviemoron
    Free Member

Boxing hard to beat, but run away first.

retro83
    Free Member

As for BJJ being useless in the real world, thats balls. Fights often go to the ground, whether you like it or not, whether the attacker has friends or not. When it happens it’s better to know what to do no?

BJJ/Judo etc drill takedowns throws and TD defence so you’re better equiped to decide where the fight goes at any rate. Obviously a choke can be applied standing, and can have a startling effect on a crowd, again, better to have the skills than not. Anyway, point being – MMA trains in all fighting ranges.

Good points I retract what I said about BJJ, being useless … but I still think Krav would be more effective 😉

Smee
    Free Member

The most common martial art in Glasgow is Chib Ye Ya Bas. 😉

epicyclo

In my day, the hard men in Glasgow used open razors…

Don’t want to argue with those.

Looks like they’ve gone soft.

Coyote
    Free Member

Not sure that the OP was interested in competitive fighting. Wing Chun, if taught correctly, is highly effective and quick to pick up. Street bears no resemblance to ring, anyone can see that. To be honest the most sensible suggestion above is learn to run.

zaskar
    Free Member

Keep this in back pocket?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

TandemJeremy

As for using martial arts in streetfighting – forget it unless you are very good

A few months of serious training could give you the edge over an untrained assailant. Which might be the difference between being a victim and not. Better looking at it than for it.

I dont consider myself “hard”, probably because I know proper hard men, but even so I’ve been able to laugh it off when drunks have been trying to beat the crap out of me. And I literally mean laugh, and beat the crap out of.

Zaskar – Krav maga would help you take that off someone, strip it down, and ram it’s component parts up the assailants hole!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘What martial art for Glasgow??’ is closed to new replies.