Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What mapping database for downloads to Garmin 705
  • jamesb
    Free Member

What can be used and what is recommended? I cannot get my UK Anquet maps to recognise an Edge 705, it is fine with my old 305 but has no knowledge of a 705.

Can I upgrade it (version from 2006 ish), can Map My Ride be used to produce tcx / crs files, similarly Google Earth, or is it a case of looking to Memory Maps etc now?

thanks for all advice 🙂

leffeboy

I’m not completely sure what your question is here. If you arre looking for software to send routes to your 705 then I think your GPS comes with training centre which works well enough. If you are trying to get an old map into the gps then that probably won’t work but you could always just use the opensgreetmap maps from h
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

they are not perfect but are often good enough, especially is popular areas. There are even MTB specific maps at openmtbmap that are the same info but styled a bit differently

Good luck

jamesb
    Free Member

My question is what mapping software, with OS database quality, can I use with Edge 705, ie I can draw out maps on and transfer to GPS

leffeboy

Ok, I think I get it. I think my confusion was that your Anquet maps has the maps built in but doesn’t seem to transfer them to the GPS – only the waypoints. The 705 is designed for maps, the 305 just uses waypoints.

It looks as though you can just upgrade your Anquet software to get it to talk to the 705 but that doesn’t help as you really want the actual maps in the 705 to get the best of it. You can get OS maps for the Garmin 705 but I’ve never done it so I can’t advise.

I use the openstreetmap maps in my 705 (free from link in previous post). I also have MapSource (the Garmin software) that I can use to draw up routes on the maps. The openstreetmaps will appear in both MapSource and the 705 if you download the correct version.

MapSource comes with paid for maps from Garmin but I believe that it is also possible to directly download it and install it from Garmin if you fiddle about appropriately. The TrainingCentre software that comes with the 705 isn’t much good for drawing up routes.

Does that answer the question?

njee20
    Free Member

BikeHike.co.uk

jamesb
    Free Member

Thanks, Bike Hike looks what I need at moment seems to fit the bill 🙂

leffeboy

Nice site. Also very nice for showing up where the OSM maps are missing major stuff. Tx

Dibbs
    Free Member

You can get OS maps for the Garmin 705 but I’ve never done it so I can’t advise.

Really? I don’t think so, you can get OS mapping for the 800 but not the 705.
    And as for routes can’t Anquet create routes on GPX file format? you can then just copy them to the 705.

SD-253
    Free Member

Ring Anquet, note ring there is bloke who normally answers all questions. AND is very knowlegable have your Anquet open with your GPS at hand. The latest software update is needed to use the old Anquet on the new GPS with built in maps. I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS which knocked me back £300 + but had no real map on it (no SD card)just a screen and my downloaded Anquet route. Now the latest Aquet maps can download to the latest GPSs but not the old Anquet I have. There was 2 options go on the site and download the latest update BUT this required to keep on changing the format the routes that are done in for the old Anquet from one format to another each time you want to download to a new garmin. I couldn’t be bothered so I bought a new set of maps with the right software (you change the format on all your saved maps but only once) which I got half price. The old maps can still be used BUT you cannot move them to another computer without new Q codes. And they won’t give them you (as you have paid for replacements) It is possible that they simply do not supply software to suit your GPS?? JB

jamesb
    Free Member

Ive managed to update Anquet now so that it recognises my 705; Im not wanting to transfer maps themselves to teh 705 (Ive got a GB Isles sd card on it) but just the routes Ive created using Anquet. HOWEVER I have now found that teh route created in Anquet, which is a gpx file, when on the 705 is modified, ie the 705, after much calculation time, minutes, produces a revised route which has actually now used a derelict byway instead of a road route I had selected 🙁

HOWEVER (again 🙂 if I change the gpx file to a tcx course file then I get the correct route shown on the 705 map base 🙂

SO am I correct in summarising that the 705 is a not very accurate sat nav navigation tool but a perfectly acceptable training tool with a reasonable base map via extra sd card ?? From my further readings on various forums it seems that the 705 has soem odd behaviours 🙁

RDL-82
    Free Member

Have you updated the edge 705?

I do all my rides (or at least the ones I map first) using memory maps and just dump the gpx on the memory card, I’ve never had the edge recalculate the route unless I’m off the pre planned route and even then it asks first, I’d check your device settings.
    The only issue I had with the 705 was if the route started and finished on exactly the same spot when mapped out then the device would tell me I had finished, ride 100m down the ride or whatever and dart the navigation and it was fine.

jamesb
    Free Member

Fully updated version 3.30 off web updater already installed; have checked settings (avoid unpaved roads ON, avoid major roads OFF) howver still ignores first miles I`ve put in avoids A44 and uses circuitous country lanes route; thereafter looks OK 🙁

Ashley
    Free Member

I recently swapped to using http://www.ridewithgps.com after using memory map for years. It does it so much better and I can download my workouts as well.

Don’t think I will go back to installed software again now.

BigJohn

The 705 is an extremely accurate navigation tool and will follow a planned route perfectly (even if you don’t have a map loaded). However the only type of route that has accuracy is a “course”, which is a .crs file. You can convert a history file into a course (within the 705) or you can search for the gpx2crs converter, and gpsbabel. These will convert routes from memory map etc into .crs files.

The 705 is a very powerful machine but an absolute sod to master.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

So what maps do you use in the 705?? Never found any that are that great???

jamesb
    Free Member

and waht is difference between a .crs file and .tcx one in terms of navigation?

Milkie
    Free Member

So what maps do you use in the 705?? Never found any that are that great???

I use TOPO UK Maps, seem pretty good, have rivers and things on them, also have the City Navigator maps.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the TOPO one but their must be something better out there??

Milkie
    Free Member

Yea there is, one of the new devices with OS mapping on it. 😉

Would be great if we could all add our routes/rides together to make an off-road map.

Ashley
    Free Member

I used to use both the TOPO & City navigator maps – they were okay. You can get opensource maps to upload nowadays – but these are not OS quality.
    Just sold my 705 – which was great and should be getting an 800 in the next few days – looking forward to see how that is

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The 705 is an extremely accurate navigation tool and will follow a planned route perfectly (even if you don’t have a map loaded). However the only type of route that has accuracy is a “course”, which is a .crs file

So how do you go about following a Course on the GPS? When I’ve tried these, in the woods where tree cover reduced accuracy of the GPS, it would continually tell me I was ‘off course’ without usefully telling me which way to go to return to it (and this was overly sensitive as I was actually on the path I was meant to be following)

If you have a route (OK, course) in a figure of 8 it would give no idea which way to go when you reached the crossover point. Courses only seem useful to me when you already know your route and just want to track your time against it rather for following a trail you’ve not ridden before.

I’ve had a 605 for a while now and still can’t get it to work as a navigation aid. Fine to track where you’ve been and how far you’ve ridden but the Edge 500 will do that in a smaller package for less money.

Give me back simple ‘tracklogs’ with an arrow and a ‘distance off course’ field

BigJohn

I’ve never had a problem with trees cutting out the reception. Even on Cannock Chase. As far as your other points – I’ve never had a problem with them. I use one all the time for navigating long rides in the lakes, peak, long mynd etc. It even detected the difference between thye bridle path and footpath on Rushup Edge and chose the proper trail down Cavedale. Figure 8’s – a .crs is directional.

Please bear in mind the bit you didn’t quote back:

but an absolute sod to master

jamesb
    Free Member

If you have a route (OK, course) in a figure of 8 it would give no idea which way to go when you reached the crossover point. Courses only seem useful to me when you already know your route and just want to track your time against it rather for following a trail you’ve not ridden before.

yes just found that on a trial run, as my gpx route way out and back crossed over teh 705 was telling me to do a U turn :(.

However away from that it worked very well indeed, so maybe this is just a glitch involved near start / end points on a circular route, I hope 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What mapping database for downloads to Garmin 705’ is closed to new replies.