Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What makes the Big Bike Bash different to other bike events?
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Not a troll; a genuine question.

I haven’t heard a bad thing said about the BBB in all the time I’ve been on STW. Folk have raved about the friendliness, the camaraderie and general spirit of it, and as a model for ‘family-oriented cycling fun’ I can’t seem to find anything else remotely similar. Granted, I’m a lucky fella with a vested interest; Nick (WCA) has sorted a Bullheart Ale from which all the profits go to the Sarcoma UK research fund, but aside from plugging the event, it really seems to be the best thing out there.

Am I wrong?

rOcKeTdOg

What makes the Big Bike Bash different to other bike events?

the other events don’t get acres of free advertising on STW?

😉

it is a fun event, i did the first one. there seemed to be more emphasis on fun,riding a bike and eating malt loaf rather than head down racing and energy bars

TooTall
    Free Member

So – not a troll, but you have a vested interest and are plugging the event?

🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m off there, not competing, just hanging around..

COuld be “riotus”… JOKE….!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m not going… should make it even better.

soma_rich
    Free Member

What makes it different? Its a party first a race second. Every other event is Race first party second.

Diane
    Free Member

Never been – has it happened? Tell me about it – is it a race? (No not a troll)

bruneep

The Southern Yeti – Member

I’m not going… should make it even better.

That surprises me, I thought you’d be there in your wannabe mod role ejecting people!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

What makes the Big Bike Bash different to other bike events?

insurance*, other events tend to have it

*this could of course be not the case this year unlike in previous years

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought you’d be there in your wannabe mod role ejecting people!

There’s an idea. When is it?

bullheart
    Free Member

the other events don’t get acres of free advertising on STW?

This is a fair point. Having known Nick for a bit now he could certainly be regarded as ‘driven’ when it comes to promotion, and I’m led to believe that ST have been more than gracious in turning a blind eye. Having said that, the man is a dynamo is turning every opportunity into something worthwhile. Christ, you only had to look at him at Mayhem and the fact that he ticketed pretty much every car in the camping area for proof.

So – not a troll, but you have a vested interest and are plugging the event?

No, as stated, not a troll. Folk who know me know that I’m more that happy to bite the hand that feeds me if I don’t agree or believe in it (or them).

So TooTall – what makes the BBB different to other bike events then?

clubber
    Free Member

The difference is obvious isn’t it? No other even has Fred crapping himself at it 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

elfin’s going, that’s enough to stop a lot of people turning up. 😆

Unlike all the other MTB events that involve races and stuff I’d be there in a shot as WCA and crew all came to a swinley sexy party and fantastic chaps they are indeed, the way the event is discussed and promot3ed makes it seem like the only mtb event that takes the competitive edge out and fills that gap with cake and beer… i’m busy that weekend though 🙁 would have loved to meet mr bullheart too!

well done WCA if you’re reading this, good work!

Harry_the_Spider

The difference is obvious isn’t it? No other even has Fred crapping himself at it

A USP that they can keep unique thankyouverymuch.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Its not serious. Like me.

luke
    Free Member

What makes it different – Its a family event, not just dad off racing and mum and the kids left in a tent bored shitless.
    Even people who have been there were no interest in cycling, have been leant a bike and encouraged to race, well I say race but most of the events arn’t overly competitive which is another good point.

When someone injuries themselves it’s off to the first aid tent (beer tent) and they have a beer.

The insurance was a one off.

Bombarding stw with forum posts may annoy some, BUT it’s a charity event and spending £££;s advertising takes money away from the charity so for a couple of months a year be patient and if you don’t want to look don’t open the thread.

Last year it rained but that didn’t dampen the spirts, people still had fun.

As said before there isn’t anything negative posted that i’ve seen about the event. In fact what other events if you have a query, question or problem do people go out of there way to help?

Come along have fun, ride bikes, drink beer listen to some good bands, it’s well worth it, you won’t regret it.
    Even my wife enjoyed it last year and she’s one of the most miserable people I know, after the mother inlaw.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bombarding stw with forum posts may annoy some, BUT it’s a charity event

So is the Clic24, you don’t see Neil Wilkens relentlessly plugging it on here, he uses the official route and gets it mentioned on the news page.

bullheart
    Free Member

Even my wife enjoyed it last year and she’s one of the most miserable people I know, after the mother inlaw

That needs to go on the website! 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

The difference is obvious isn’t it? No other event has Fred crapping himself at it

A USP that they can keep unique thankyouverymuch.

That was the tipping point for me not to buy a ticket……

….plus the vague insurance and unspecified bike security arrangements (which may have now been addressed I admit I haven’t rechecked the details since they were first up)

Anyway, good luck to WCA and his well intentioned efforts, good to see someone having a go and I hope it turns out splendidly 😀

luke
    Free Member

Kingtut – Clic is a bigger charity and have a decent sized advertising budget as well, by the look of the advertising you see in the mags etc.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

But if clic24 have a bigger budget then surely that would be more to go to the charity if they adopted a similar advertising manner

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does BBB do similar on other forums?

Or,

Is it really a way of getting a load of mates together off of here and raise some money for charity in the process?

bullheart
    Free Member

That’s a good question. I’m sure he mentioned that he hits all the forums, but I’m not a regular on them so I’m not that sure.

TooTall
    Free Member

BUT it’s a charity event

So is nearly everything else, but they don’t spam this place.

for a couple of months a year be patient

I’d put it closer to 10 months of the year.

what makes the BBB different to other bike events then?

Other than the website not telling me who is behind the event or anything to do with insurance (for anyone, but specifically riders – and I would love to see how the lake jump thing is addressed for liability etc) or on-site facilities like first aid, toilets etc. This is, of course, only going on what I see and perception is reality after all.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d put it closer to 10 months of the year.

If I CBA, I’d try and find a month when it hadn’t been mentioned. But, generally, +1. This is just another thread promoting it.

andyl
    Free Member

why doesnt STW send the BBB some banners to advertise the magazine? Free advertising in return for free advertising. Also if STW did an article on it and advertised it was going to so and took lots of pictures then you might get people from the event buying the magazine for the article. The BBB organisers could provide the write-up and pics.

Jamie
    Free Member

In the past 24hrs, I have learned that Fred has both tried to sue STW for banning him and crapped himself at some bike thing.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Everyday is a school day.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I crapped myself as a way of protest at being banned.

hilldodger
    Free Member

What makes it different – Its a family event

Thing is, being a ‘family event’ doesn’t reconcile with stories of people getting so pissed up they self soil, then have no recollection of what happened 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

BBB 2010 761 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

BBB 2010 864 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

BBB 2010 593 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

BBB 2010 493 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

BBB 2010 360 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

BBB 2010 221 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No other even has Fred crapping himself at it

crapped himself at some bike thing.

Thing is, being a ‘family event’ doesn’t reconcile with stories of people getting so pissed up they self soil, then have no recollection of what happened

The thing is, you are all talking hot air. Only a VERY few people (On here me, DrP and Pete Impretza. Nobody else, I don’t even think WCA knows) know the true story and none of us have ever breathed a word of it. Why? Becasue it’s funnier that way! 🙂
    And I’ll tell you now sunshine, you’re wide of the mark. 🙂

But carry on believeing that if you want to…. 😛

hilldodger
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

The thing is, you are all talking hot air. Only a VERY few people (On here me, DrP and Pete Impretza. Nobody else, I don’t even think WCA knows) know the true story and none of us have ever breathed a word of it. Why? Becasue it’s funnier that way!
    And I’ll tell you now sunshine, you’re wide of the mark.

But carry on believeing that if you want to….

It’s all very well ‘being in the know’ about what really happened and I’m sure it makes you feel kind of important but by not confirming what may/may not have gone on, the story of drunken soilage was allowed to stand.
    Now in many peoples mind BBB is ‘that bike thing where drunken Fred sh@t himself’ rather than that ‘fun family event that raised money for charidee’

clubber
    Free Member

The thing is, you are all talking hot air. Only a VERY few people (On here me, DrP and Pete Impretza. Nobody else, I don’t even think WCA knows) know the true story and none of us have ever breathed a word of it. Why? Becasue it’s funnier that way!

And I’m well aware of that but it’s quite funny to keep the rumour going 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    it’s quite funny to keep the rumour going

I’m sure WCA appreciates it 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

Considering all the positive he gets from the free advertising here, I very much doubt that the tiny negative that it implies will be keeping him awake 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Considering all the positive he gets from the free advertising here, I very much doubt that the tiny negative that it implies will be keeping him awake

Finding it hard to sell tickets this year isn’t he ???

Ah well, no such thing as bad publicity……

Harry_the_Spider

…I drafted this a couple of hours ago before we got onto “Things that go trump in the night”. So, going off at a tangent…

These events cost money. Lots of money. Usually paid up front.

Unless you have a cash sponsor or benefactor they have to be paid for by advanced ticket sales. With a tight budget cash for advertising isn’t available. The only way to generate income is therefore to get the word out on the forum.

No threads = no money = no event.

So… without a few threads events like this the BBB and all of the other grass roots events that want to try and stage something with a bit of substance wouldn’t happen.

If you don’t like BBB, HtN, Brownbacks etc threads don’t open them.

Jamie
    Free Member

So you are aware there may be misinformation on things going dump in the night, yet you would rather sit in the corner giggling to yourself than straighten it out?

And I’ll tell you now sunshine, you’re wide of the mark.

Well, if even those who know will not advise as to the truth, then that is hardly surprising now is it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So you are aware there may be misinformation on things going dump in the night, yet you would rather sit in the corner giggling to yourself than straighten it out?

Yup! 🙂

Sorry. Sworn to secrecy. 8)

And I’m well aware of that but it’s quite funny to keep the rumour going

Rumour? We never started a rumour. STW did that. Those that KNOW have never, to my knowlege, fuelled the rumour. STW did that too. 🙂 As close as I have ever come to it is in this thread!
    We’ve just refused to confirm the truth. And will continue to do so…….. Becasue it’s funnier…. and it keeps you all talking! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What makes the Big Bike Bash different to other bike events?’ is closed to new replies.