Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What makes a bike faster?
  • boxelder

So I’m an unremarkable, but reasonably fit rider on an unremarkable (Scandal 29er) framed bike. Swapped all the parts from it onto a new Solaris frame last week and built the Scandal as a rigid SS – carbon forks, cheapish wheels, 32:18 gear. First time out on it yesterday (I’ve had a 26″ SS up ’til now) and I got a few PRs on the dreaded Strava round Whinlatter.
    Now I can understand going faster on the South Loop climb, as the surface and gradient are pretty much ideal and the bike is pretty light, but I also got a PR on the second DH section – and I thought I’d pushed it in the past with gears and sus forks.
    Am I maybe not good enough to eke out the benefits of gears/suspension. Does the twisty/smooth nature of the trail favour rigid. Have I wasted a load of money on posher bikes – because there was plenty of fun involved.
    I’ll take the Tallboy round there soon and see.

p.s. not a Strava hound – just use it to log miles/set personal targets.

mccraque

Is it red? Red makes it faster.

I’ve a similar dilemma. Local loops I do – I’ve an identical weight 29″ and one of those old 36″ things. Both Ht’s. Yet the 29 is 2 mins quicker over the same loop, and crests climbs quicker too. No idea why.

andy7t2
    Free Member

Or possibly the trails were in perfect condition, see how you get on over the next few weeks.

36″ things

Do you need a step ladder to get on

JCL
    Free Member

What makes you faster is a bike that inspires confidence.

boxelder

Red? Hell no – British racing green.
    Conditions average.

mboy
    Free Member

Nobody stated the obvious tonight yet?

Oh go on then, I’ll be the one…

What makes any bike faster? The rider!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

100% the rider. And what makes any rider better and therefore faster? The answer is time in the saddle. It’s not rocket science I’m afraid, just plain and simple hard work and lots of it. A properly decent rider can ride any bike fast so upgrading and buying new kit won’t make you faster. It might make you want got get out and ride though, which is good.

jameso

Sometimes a SS is fast downhill because you can’t rely on pedaling so you work on flow and momentum instead, it focuses good technique which is often quicker and also less effort than more pedalling. And rigid bikes can be really quick on the right surface, again you focus on being smooth, good lines etc.
    I also think that some bikes just work better for us ergonomically, not ‘better’ bikes as such but they just work with us rather than against us. That can be the fit, general type, riding style, etc.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Wearing Rapha.

xiphon
    Free Member

A properly decent rider can ride any bike fast so upgrading and buying new kit won’t make you faster.

Shhhhh! That’s a secret!

khani
    Free Member

Kashima coating, ESI grips and 1×10.. Allegedly…

ahwiles
    Free Member

just checking; you ARE comparing times recorded with the same GPS device, yes?

phones tend to think they’re travelling faster than dedicated garmin-type gizmos.

(i don’t pretend to understand how this would happen, but my measurement-geek pal has tested it)

Northwind

New bike excitement adds enthusiasm, enthusiasm makes you go faster.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What makes a bike faster?

The rider, most stuff on the bike makes **** all difference.

mccraque

Or possibly the trails were in perfect condition, see how you get on over the next few weeks.

36″ things

Do you need a step ladder to get on

Sorry…didn’t mean my Penny Fathing. Meant my 26″!

crispyrice

Making sure your brakes are centred properly.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Making sure you have fitted tyres.

osteo1
    Free Member

pedaling harder!

beefheart
    Free Member

Testicle size, plain and simple.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What makes a bike faster?’ is closed to new replies.