Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What Lycra shorts are you happy with ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m in need for some Lycra shorts for the cross season and to also wear under my mtb baggies.
    What can you recommend? And where to buy them from.

Cheers
    Shaun

porlus
    Free Member

I tend to get on well with the Italian brands. Got some cheap Giordana silver lines. Really comfy. Got some santini with the yellow pad, cant remember the name. Again really comfy. Tried craft and others and find they don’t fit as well in the pad area.

jam-bo

Howies 3/4 bibs are my pick of the cupboard at the moment.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Lusso 8 panel, cheap and effective.

scratch
    Free Member

Bit random but I really like the Vermarc shorts, I’ve had a few pairs of decent Castelli’s but the Vermarc has a slightly thinner pad which I prefer. Seems really well made to + decent euro exchange at the moment?

jonba
    Free Member

DHB from wiggle. Aeron race or pro are both very good. I think the others are the same construction so the garish coloured ones in the sale might be ok for under baggies. For the road I wear black, if I’m feeling flamboyant I wear some with a white stripe at the bottom.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Morvélo suit me. Got a sale on at the moment as well.

superfurryhead
    Free Member

+1 for DHB from Wiggle, good pad and the panels are well constructed, wear bib shorts under baggies and super comfy

antigee

Altura gel shorts – last very well, wash ok, used for multi-day all day rides
    each to their own though – the fit suits me, only negative is seem to hold water a bit if really hammering it down

cloudnine
    Free Member

Howies or morvelo both excellent

iainc

Howies on MTB under baggies, not shiny so baggies don’t move much. DHB Aeron pro on road. Also got some Decathlon 700 which are very good.

lunge

Decathlon 700 or 520. Good and cheap too.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Louis Garneau Tri Course Club triathlon shorts are my preferred option. They look incredibly uncomfortable with minimal padding but they’ve been the comfiest shorts I’ve worn on a bike

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Decathalon for short rides >2:5hrs, Morvélo for longer.
    Its a personal thing though, just like saddles.
    The Morvélo shorts are really comfy though.

schmiken

Assos or my Vitesse team kit.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Another vote for the DHB bibs.Excellent value for money

egb81
    Free Member

Gore 3/4 are the best fitting and most comfortable I own. I’m not sure I’d fork out for them at full price though.

scaredypants

nicest pad I’ve used is in the zipvit shorts

they’re dirt cheap, too – great as long as you don’t mind big logos all over the place

Candodavid
    Free Member

Howies FTW

edhornby

Good quality bibs shouldn’t be worn under baggies, the seams burn holes in the Lycra
    Just get cheap ones for under shorts. Decathlon are good for the inexpensive as are wiggle.

Everyone has a different shape backside so the different pads from each manufacturers matter. Personally I like santini but vermarx are also good as long as you get the right size

SaxonRider

I found an ebay site where I can buy bib shorts for 7.99. At that price, I am willing to get along with them. And everything else of the same make as well.

shaungero
    Free Member

This is panning out as a good tread. Not helping with the choosing though haha.
    Dhb racing might be winning the race for quality and value.

philb88
    Free Member

Deacthalon 700 MTB undershorts at £15 seem pretty good for the under 2hours rides I’ve tried them on. Also not shiny lycra, whcih is a bonus as undershorts!

mboy
    Free Member

Morvelo

Got a few pairs now, and they’re just awesome! Better than some of the more boutique offerings for twice the price!

The Madison “Sportive” bibs aren’t bad either for under £50, but if you can afford them, you won’t go wrong with Morvelo.

allfankledup

I have a couple of pairs of 15 yr old Nalini shorts that have never given me any grief

A recent purchase (rivelo) have a cytech pad, I wouldn’t buy them again. No where near as comfy a cut.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Morvelo here too, super comfy pad

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve been really happy with my DHB Aeron Race. So much so that I’m off to order another couple of pairs in fact. My first ones I got on sale for about £25, but I’m more than happy to pay the current price for them too.

porlus
    Free Member

A lot depends on the shape of your arse. Like I mentioned earlier the Italian ones suit me best (although Campag ones were bad). Got some of the howies 3/4 bibs as mentioned loads of times. They are ok, but not a snug fit in the pad area.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just bought a second pair of Lusso 10 panel bib shorts. Just don’t notice I am sat on anything at all, even after 50 miles. They are on a special offer at Tredz at the moment at £45 , but buy a pair of socks to make a fiver and get a fiver off.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/shorts/lusso-pro-gel-bibshorts-59-99

BillMC

lusso

cheekyget
    Free Member

I found an ebay site where I can buy bib shorts for 7.99. At that price, I am willing to get along with them. And everything else of the same make as well.

That’s what I used to do…and I thought there were great…but then I found as my rides got longer , I was getting arse ache……till one day I was lucky enough to be given a few pairs of Rapha shorts
    OMG….what a difference ……I did the 100 ride with these ….best shorts ever!!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Morevelo 3/4bibs for me in fact have become my go to shorts so comfy

BigJohn

I bought some CVNDSH ones from the local Specialized Concept Store. I’d never tried bibs before but these are real fit & forget.

I’ve done a bunch of road rides and all day rides with baggies and haven’t had the slightest discomfort.

timidwheeler

I got some bargain Vermarc shorts from On One a year ago. The were less than £10. Might be worth having a look on their website. I would check but I hate their Website.

deadkenny
    Free Member

cross season

There are seasons?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Dhb and decathlon have worked fine for me but others hate them. Personal inin!

shaungero
    Free Member

Quick question with the morvelo bibs, there both on sale 1 is £54 and the other is £72 so is the £54 pound pair good enough? they are down from £90. Are they the ones your recommending?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What Lycra shorts are you happy with ?’ is closed to new replies.