Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What long socks for riding?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

To keep my calves warm when splashed with cold puddles.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

lunge

Cheap football socks?
    Compression socks for running?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sealskinz knee high are teh awesumz.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cheap football socks?
    Compression socks for running?

Both great. Wear one or the other pretty much every time i ride. The compression socks are a bit more comfortable but the football socks are tougher. Both wick well and make a good base layer for pads too.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

If you want a biking sick Royal are plenty long.

beagle
    Free Member

Controversial…….

But the only item of Vulpine kit I own is a pair of their merino long socks. Spotty design and toasty warm. They almost reach my knee though!

molgrips
    Free Member

Seen the Sealskinz ones. Look good – they have an MTB ‘mid’ length one – is that the longest one?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s a daft name, mid knee sock iirc.

They’re really good if you ride with kneepads – I do every ride now – as they go over the bottom of the pad, or under if ye want, and so not as much water gets down yer legs and into feet.

whitestone
    Free Member

I use wool/polyamide mix walking socks. My feet get cold if I use pure nylon socks and they get wet. Had three pairs on the HT550

molgrips
    Free Member

I dont’ ride with kneepads. Is there a difference between the mtb sealskins and the hiking ones?

teamslug
    Free Member

i had my first ride with full length sealskinz this morning on my commute. Really nice and warm. Come right up and over calf to just below knee. Got them cheap from crc so thought ît was worth a punt.

whitestone
    Free Member

@teamslug – where the hell are you to need full length Sealskinz? Nordkapp? Still using summer kit here in Yorkshire.

martinhutch

Still using summer kit here in Yorkshire.

Coughs. Speak for yourself!

Dexshell Knee Length are better than Sealskinz IMO.

vincienup
    Free Member

😆 at Yorkshire joke coming out already…

teamslug
    Free Member

lol. I’m in yorkshire too. It was more of an experimental ride just to try them before it gets worse. It’s starting to get pretty chilly at 5:30am and off road commute is pretty wet in places. Wore them with 3/4 hummvee’s and i think it will be a decent combination as the weather turns.
    For OP’s benefit these are the ones i got.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sealskinz-mtb-mid-knee-socks-aw16/rp-prod152624

whitestone
    Free Member

Well it is the south 😉

As it gets cooler then leg warmers are the answer. In the afternoon when it’s warmer you don’t need to wear them.

molgrips
    Free Member

So are the Sealskinz ones stretch like normal socks? I found an old pair I have, and they are only slightly stretch and fall down and basically off my feet without shoes. The mid ones would have to be more like normal socks to stay up without pads.

TiRed

Chrome merino socks are excellent. I wear them with bib3/4 all winter. Sealskins don’t really come tight enough for my chicken legs.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have chunky calves.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Knee high sealskinz are pretty stretchy, so much so that they don’t put the silicon gripper inside like the mid ones, no need, they stay up.

Those ones teamslug linked to are a bargain.

I’m chunky of calf too, 16 stone and played amateur football all my days, my calves are like the wife’s thighs. :mrgreen:

thejesmonddingo

Decathlon merino ski socks,when its cold,and pair of Decathlon silk ski socks liners inside for when its below -5,

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What long socks for riding?’ is closed to new replies.