• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What lock for securing my bike?
  • gnusmas

We might be moving soon so will be commuting in a town. I will need to purchase a lock to secure my bike to a solid structure of some description. Which locks should i be looking at out of the hundreds available?

jamiep
    Free Member

No linky as I’m on my phone, but Google “locks that work” for the London fixie forum thread. That Also has a link to a thread on secondary locks

tinribz
    Free Member

On Guard brute.

tomhoward

The cheapest one that meets the criteria of your insurance policy.

oldnpastit

Not the thin cable lock kind my son used to lock his bike up at school with 🙁

hs125
    Free Member

In my experience, get a chain or U lock,not a cable. Even big fat cable locks seem to be very easily cut.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Abus Granit X Plus

Northwind

All cable locks are rubbish- with the right tools, they cut like butter (most lock tests insist on attacking them with the wrong tools). There’s a depressing number of bike locks out there that are slower to remove with the key than they are to remove with bolt or wire cutters.

Best question is, what value of bike? I lock my commuter with a basic kryptonite d-lock, it’s not the best but it’s adequate for the job. But I wouldn’t use it for a more expensive bike.

PiknMix
    Free Member

+1 for the Abus, it’s a heavy beast of a thing but it’s as secure as anything. Not cheap but then a good lock shouldn’t be.

steviecapt
    Free Member

+1 for the abus granite, on the heavy side, but a gold secure lock, that my insurance company fully endorse on their web site.

gonzy
    Free Member

+1 for the granite. I had one for my dh bike. I use a abus granite junior for the commuter bike at work. Its a silver rated and is right for the job. Plus the bike rack is right outside my office window.
    I dont have the other granite as it got nicked along with the bike last year.
    My current bike has a humongous gold standard kryptonite chain locking it to a secured wall anchor in the house

plus-one

These are good value/high security … Fits in back pocket or belt loop and extra cable for securing front wheel.. Quite tight fit with railings etc but leaves little room for pond life to attack 🙂

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p53382/Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-7-Lock-With-4-Foot-Kryptoflex-Cable.aspx?utm_source=googleps&gclid=CPzk6snGo74CFaXHtAod-TYAHg

slackalice
    Free Member

Expensive but good.

tigr lock

AlexSimon

I bought this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Onguard-Mastiff-130cmx10cm-Cynch-Loop-Chain-Padlock-Key-Bike-Lock-Lk8019lp-/130869330098?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1e786b80b2

It’s very heavy but feels very solid. My confidence is pretty high. The only upgrade would be Pragmasis chain with Squire lock. The main attraction is the loop at the end. It means you can lash 4+ bikes together with only 1.3m chain. Very versatile.

Price is very competitive for this kind of thing.

gnusmas

Will definitely look into all the suggestions so far, thanks for all the info.

My current bike has a humongous gold standard kryptonite chain locking it to a secured wall anchor in the house

I think i will have to get a ground/wall anchor and chain for home too. Which ones do you use gonzy?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Piece of nylon string would do.. Like this.

gonzy
    Free Member

Gnusmas – I’m using a kryptonite evolution series 4 chain. Its 1.6m long and weighs 4.5kg so is a serious piece of kit. I’ve also got a squire heavy duty wall/floor anchor bracket

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What lock for securing my bike?’ is closed to new replies.