Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What lightweight tent…
  • singlecrack
    Free Member

Needs to be lightweight for multi-day bike touring 1 man is fine ….what options are out there ..any recommendations that people have used ……

piemonster

Price?

piemonster

I’d use a bivvy bag anyway, tents are soooo bourgeois.

piemonster

Might not be entirely serious.

footflaps

I had a Macpac Microlight tent, which I used for KIMM, but sold on here. It was a great lightweight tent and could fit two at a pinch. About 1.1kg all in packed.

footflaps

I had a Macpac Microlight tent, which I used for KIMM, but sold on here. It was a great lightweight tent and could fit two at a pinch. About 1.1kg all in packed.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Lol …I have a bivi and tarp for a few days at a time but would prefer a tent for longer trips ..1-2weeks

cyclebiker

I have a marmot eos P1 and it’s very light weight and packs up really small, the only gripe is that you have to pitch the inner first and then put the outer skin on top…worth a look thought.

piemonster

I have a Terra Nova Photon, it’s a great tent.

But it’s really too fragile for me to recommend it tbh.

dyls

If its somewhere to crash for the night a one man tent is fine, but for 1/2 weeks I’d go for something slightly bigger with more room. Maybe a terra nova voyager at 2kg?

Edric64
    Free Member

Vango Banshee 200 just over 2kg only about £100 .If you are on a budget

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I have a banshee. it’s good.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Ooh …good call on the banshee……cheap too

baden

This is worth a look at:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-soloista-p217173

1.64kg for £20. Not much wrong with that.

matt_outandabout

Banshee if you are on a budget, they are unbeatable for the money. If you want room, go for the 300 😉
    For balance of space, weight, stability and quality I think a Terra Nova Superlight Voyager is a great tent. I also really like the Superlight Solar, but that is not a tent for everyone.
    For small, light and bombproof (at a price) I think a Hilleberg Akto is a great bit of kit. Costs £100 more than the Terra Nova’s mind.
    I had a Macpac Minaret for years – the quality and bombproof nature of these is superb. Any other tent these days I am paranoid about how light the groundsheet is – on the Macpac it was bombproof. But so was the weight. 🙁

Edric64
    Free Member

Look at the hydrostatic head on cheaper tents that 20 quid one is nice and light but a bit lacking in the waterproof department

Chew
    Free Member

I have a Terra Nova Laser which I used for a month long trip in America this summer an it served me well.
    Can be a bit temperamental to pitch, a tad pricy and if you’re over 6 foot then forget it. Packs small and is around the 1 kg mark.

If I was buying again i’d look at Tarptents. Best as both worlds as you get the protection of a tent, but the versatility of a tarp.

Clink

I used this for SLMM this year – ideal for one and bargain at the price
    http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/112873-blacks-octane-1-man-tent-yellow.html

2 man for not much more and reasonable weight for price.
    http://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/107640-blacks-apex-octane-2-tunnel-tent.html#read_more

Used that for OMM this year – happily coped with the shit weather 🙂

Chew
    Free Member
    ktmblag
    Free Member

msr hubba..great piece of kit good height well made

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Like you I use a tarp and bivi for bikepaking overnighters but Ive got a 2nd hand Vaude Taurus 2 for longer tours. You can pitch the outer on its own and leave the inner at home giving you a big tarp tent you can pitch in 5 minutes, is seriously wind and weather proof and about 1.2kg.

You can have hours of fun on checking out the sites below for lightweight gear but get your CC ready.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1.html

somafunk

I have this Six Moons Design Lunar Solo SE bought from Bob & Rose on Backpackinglight as per the link above, very waterproof and very light – packs tiny but does need to be seam sealed to be fully waterproofed, there is a lighter version which saves 200g but it has a lighter weight floor and very lightweight mesh fabric that might not stand up to repeated use in our windy climate so the slightly heavier tent does me fine, An 850g tent vs a 650g Tent so i figured i’d get more use out of the slightly heavier version.

Obviously my entire gear & kit is TI to drop the weight as far as possible, even my stove is Ti but to be honest i’d be better off losing a few lbs of body fat, alas it’s easier/more enjoyable to buy lightweight kit online whilst drunkingly quoffing wine/whisky/beer 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

Obviously my entire gear & kit is TI to drop the weight as far as possible, even my stove is Ti but to be honest i’d be better off losing a few lbs of body fat, alas it’s easier/more enjoyable to buy lightweight kit online whilst drunkingly quoffing wine/whisky/beer

I like the cut of your jib …..

somafunk

I like the cut of your jib …..

That may be so but i don’t particularly like the girth of my waistband, i’m feeling the pinch on my 32″ waist jeans which i’ve managed comfortably with for the past 20yrs so i plan to go on the pharmaceutical diet for new year 😉

pb2

I have a Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 and its a good bit of kit although I prefer to bivi but if the weather is going to be shitty or its a multi day jobbie then a tent would be my first choice.

kiwijohn

Eureka Spitfire solo SUL. 1.25kg & not terribly expensive.

wingnuts

I’ve used the Blacks Octaine 1 that Clink has posted the link for. I’ve used mine over the last 4 or 5 years on an annual three week trip riding around Europe. Up and down every day and some big storms (all be it not in mountain conditions) it has been great. I got mine secondhand for £35 hardly used to see if it was any good prior to planning to spend a lot more. No need to as it turned out. At the price it is unbeatable and until you start spending £500 plus I don’t see anything better.

Edric64
    Free Member

I use a Vango Tempest as the Banshee I suggested is fairly small .The Tempest is 3kg but on a 2 man trip with my son next summer I dont see the point in going lighter as we will split it between us .

boblo
    Free Member

The American backpacking tents are worth a look if you’re not too interested in full 4 season mountaineering capability. I bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 last year when my Tadpole decided it was more teabag than tent. The SL2 is big enough for 2, weighs less than 1.5 real kilos and was a pleasure to spend ~60 nights in. For nasty pitches you’ll want a footprint but that’s true of any tent if you want the groundsheet to last.

The MSR’s are similar in design, all tensioned mesh etc. Great for warmer weather, ok in rain, cold in a proper winter. North Face changed their Tadpole inner for the UK (European?) market from mesh to fabric as it’s bloody draughty on a blowy Feb night… NF warranteed mine so I have a brand new Tadpole 23 DL going spare if anyone fancies one.

piemonster

Sport pursuit have a sale on for a couple of Macpac tents at the minute.

Macro light at £200 down from rrp £350

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/macpac-dec13

tonyd

I have a Vango TBS Micro 250, bought it perhaps 10 years ago and it’s still in great condition despite being dragged all over the place. As the reviews state it’s pretty bomb proof, it easily survived two weeks of wild camping in Chilean Patagonia which was pretty rough.

It’s pretty heavy compared to todays standards at 3kg but split between 2 it’s hardly noticeable.

grahamg
    Free Member

We love our 3 man MSR for bike touring – I did get an MSR ‘bivi-tent’ that is very light (~1kg), and very small (literally room to sleep plus a rucksack in the ‘porch area’ barely 2 foot tall). But that is just never going to get used again as I like the comfort of a larger tent.

This thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSR-Microzoid-tent-Fast-Light-solo-tent-PRICE-DROP-/321264520187?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item4accdb8bfb

Rorschach
    Free Member

Right…It’s raining and I’m bored so I’m off to buy that £20 GoOutdoors one.Anybody want anything?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Popped into go outdoors today and picked up a Banshee 200 for £79…should be ok ..if a little heavy .

5thElefant
    Free Member

Terra Nova Laser Competition. You don’t get much for your money though… 😯

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Terra Nova Laser Competition

Picked one up last year, or maybe the year before for £130 when in the sale.

Great bit of kit IMHO.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What lightweight tent…’ is closed to new replies.