Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What lightweight quiet AM wheelset?
  • mrelectric

I’ve got DT Swiss M1800 on my Canyon Nerve AM 9 which have been great for a year but now want to offset the weight of the Reverb & Hammerschmidt by dropping 100-300g on a new 15mm F/QR R wheelset. I want to run up to 2.4″ tyres tubeless and need a quiet freewheel. I’m 12st/80kg and do light AM & XC only, so hoping a DT Swiss or Mavic ST might do without trashing them ant time soon. Might be persuaded to go to carbon rims…

Anyone tried something similar?

Northwind

Roval Traverse EL? They’re reasonably quiet, though the volume does vary in a slightly erratic and possibly annoying way- it’s basically a DT240S

I’ve managed to beat one of my sets up fairly badly, but then it’s been on a 160mm bike used for enduro racing etc- so they’ve done not bad at all considering they weigh nowt.

Formula make a pretty nice cartridge bearing hub which is almost noiseless but I’ve never seen them for sale in the UK, only as part of OEM wheelsets. Which is a shame- they’re not all that light but they seem good.

br
    Free Member

DT240’s aren’t silent, but are quieter than Hope’s…

If you want 2.4 tyres and tubeless you’ll be best with Crest-type width.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

my crossmax sx are very quiet

mboy
    Free Member

DT240’s aren’t silent, but are quieter than Hope’s…

They’re reasonably quiet, though the volume does vary in a slightly erratic and possibly annoying way- it’s basically a DT240S

It’s odd, but I’ve got 2 sets of 240 hubbed wheels right now, and I’ve owned another set of 240 hubs and a set of 440’s too before… NONE of them have been the same volume! One of my current rear hubs is almost as loud as a Hope (annoying, and I’m gonna try and quieten it), the other is almost totally silent… How strange! 😕

GREAT hubs though… Highly recommended, best ratchet design out there, and so simple to strip and service.

As for carbon rims? Your money, your choice, personally I think there’s no point whatsoever on a Mountain Bike, even if you’ve got the money to spend on them… Too little return, for too much outlay, when good ally rims are a fraction of the price.

FactoryPhil

I went from a Pro2/Mavic 819 wheelset weighing about 2kg to an American Classis All Mountain tubeless wheelset weighing 1.66kg. I liked the previous setup but the AM wheelset is brilliant, way lighter and a far wider and stronger rim IMO. The hub noise is almost silent, bit like a DT only quieter. I’ve been using them for almost a year with no problems.

Phil

ruscle
    Free Member

American classic rims are made of cheese. You can get a pair of 30mm wide carbon rims weighing 370g from light-bicycles.com (china) for £220 delivered. Good rims which have been tested by folk on mtbr all this year. Read the threads on mtbr, either ‘cheap Chinese carbon rims’ or ’26inch Chinese carbon all mountain rim’ in the wheels and tyres section on mtbr forum.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The AM 490 Superstar Triziod Hubs are working well for our local Keswick group,sound like Chris kings too,pickup is super quick and seem well built at £140!! well worth tightening the spoke tension up a bit though from new as there a bit flexey from new,amazing value though..

titusrider
    Free Member

Ok not that quiet but I run Chris kings on crests (with front Ali nipples and dt Swiss comp )

Wide rim, stiff enough for me on my ibis 140mm and about 1550g (lighter than crossmax sx)

chakaping
    Free Member

Crossmax ST fit the bill perfectly I reckon.

Very light, very stiff and pretty quiet.

njee20
    Free Member

DT240s are incredibly sensitive to grease – a thin smear on the star ratchets will have them virtually silent, then they gradually get louder again. Great hubs. I’d vote for 240s on your choice of rim, Crest or Arch EX for my money, perhaps ENVE if you’ve got too much money and want a heavier rim. Probably with Revs or SuperComps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What lightweight quiet AM wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.