Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What lightweight pads
  • atlaz
    Free Member

My dad recently started riding at 60+ years of age and my mum suggested he needs some knee/shin pads to prevent injury. He mostly rides fireroads and a small amount of singletrack so I’m thinking kneepads. I have some 661 evo pads and like them a lot, but I was wondering if there were any others that people recommended?

sambob
    Free Member

661 kyle strait are pretty comfy.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Not needed imo.

atlaz
    Free Member

Are straits bulkier than evos?

stuartlangwilson – Thanks for that useful comment.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You’re welcome!

Kyle straits are slightly bulkier than evos. Raceface digs look similar, are slightly more secure in a crash but are slightly less comfortable for prolonged pedalling.

I still doubt your Dad needs either, maybe he can make his own mind up?

steveh

If you didn’t see the STW mag test on knee pads the other month it showed that the evo d30 661 pads offer very little protection in an impact after a few hits. So much so they’re almost not worth bothering with.

Kyle straits are good but don’t have a solid knee cap guard like the tomcats.

Northwind

steveh – Member

“If you didn’t see the STW mag test on knee pads the other month it showed that the evo d30 661 pads offer very little protection in an impact after a few hits. So much so they’re almost not worth bothering with.”

Though unfortunately didn’t do the same for any of the other pads.

I’d recommend Kyle Straits myself, they don’t need the hard cap and they’re all-day comfy. I wouldn’t wear them under trousers, then again, I wouldn’t wear any pads under trousers. Excellent kit.

And as for “Not needed”, knees are delicate and exposed and they don’t heal well even when you’re young. If he never crashes then they’re not needed. If he does then they might help. Even if they never prevent a serious injury (and they probably never will) they’re pretty likely to prevent minor and irritating ones. So why not?

jedi

new scott knee pads. i got a pair. same as striats but hard shell = winner!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have the poc joint pads. Once they warm up they are really flexible and comfy. the pad goo is much thicker than 661 d3o pads.

jedi

i put a scott d30 pad on and a scott hard shell one , hit my knee with a hammer and chosse the one that didnt hurt )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What lightweight pads’ is closed to new replies.