Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What Lights for commuting?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

as I was properly shamed on here for swithering over a 7 mile commute to work, the die has been cast and the car scrapped.

So what Lights? finish work at midnight so need something that will illumunate as a lot of the way has no lighting at all

Been looking at Electron EHP325 but found a thread on here that said NO in a big way. Bit of a dunce when it comes to lights

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If you want a front light to see the road with, then its hard to see past the Hope Vision 1 up front.
    Smart 1/2 watt at the rear

BobaFatt
    Free Member

funny, thats the third time i've heard Hop Vision 1 in the last five minutes, seems like we may have a new contender

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Rear…doesn't matter so long as it works, I use a knog light 😛

Hope vision 1 would be my first choice 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

The mistake most people make is to fit a light to see with. But you also need to consider being seen. A Topeak Whitelite offers little light to see by (whilst riding) but can be seen from a long way away.

The Extreme Deal lights give great light to see with.

Personally, I use four different lights on the front whilst commuting. Two are flashing LED's that last 100s of hours, one is a steady/constant LED and I use the ExD one when I need to illuminate the road.

As for rear lights I have three Blackburn Mars 3 lights.

I also have reflectors and use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres that have reflective side walls.

ross980
    Free Member

If you want a front light to see the road with, then its hard to see past the Hope Vision 1 up front.
    Smart 1/2 watt at the rear

+1 That's exactly the same as my set up. I know some people have had problems with the Smart but mine has been faultless. The Hope is a good commuting light (and almost good enough for off-roading with, it also comes with a strap for helmet mounting but it's a bit too heavy for that IMHO) – the main downside is that it turns off without warning once the batteries are drained to a certain level – but usually you can cycle through the modes to the flashing and it'll last another half hour or so.

iainc

Joystick on a bar mount and smart 1/2 on the seatpost

ross980
    Free Member

Joystick on a bar mount and smart 1/2 on the seatpost

Mate has a joystick, the light output is pretty much identical to the Hope but it has the major advantage of weighing hardly anything (perfect for helmet mounting) but the (vastly) superior battery technology comes at a price.

iainc

ross980 – yeah, great wee light. I also use it off road on the helmet spring and autumn with it in my pocket till I need it. Use AyUps on the helmet off road come 'winter' though (and a Hope 4 on the bars 😮 )

ross980
    Free Member

iainc – Nice, you can't beat having seriously amounts of lumens for off roading! I've had a right hodgepotch of Tripleshot plus Hope Vision 1 on the bars, plus a homebrew 3 x 4w Cree helment mounted. Bit heavy though but plently of light (though not as much as you I think 😯 ).
    I remenber my first set of off road light were a 5w + 10w halogen Electrons with a bottle cage mounted battery – how things have changed.

Question for the OP – have you considered off roading at night? If so you might be able to justify getting some 'decent' lights that you can use for both commuting and off roading.

iainc

I remenber my first set of off road light were a 5w + 10w halogen Electrons with a bottle cage mounted battery – how things have changed.

– I had them too, up till about 3 yrs ago. I remember getting them and thinking how bright they were !

ross980
    Free Member

My mate had some Cateyes that were 10w and 20w – I had to ride behind him because if I was in front of all I could see was my own shadow. I remember thinking his were the muts nuts until someone turned up with a HiD…

donks
    Free Member

The joy stick is really good, it has the huge advantage of a great little clip bracket which means the light comes straight off the bars or helmet and can be carried indoors for recharging. it's bright enough for a pitch black canal ride, its very compact and can double up as a torch when required….going to the garage to get bike in dark. I know its overkill but the red eye rear light is the brightest rear light I've ever seen too, although the required cable is a pain.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What Lights for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.