Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What lights?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I want to get some lights for mountain biking but don’t know anything about them.

In the short term they will be used for a couple of hours when after work rides go on into the dark and probably slightly longer rides over the winter.

Any advice on type and power of light, battery, head mounted, bar mounted greatly appreciated. I’m not looking for Blackpool illuminations but something so I can see where I’m going would be nice. As always I’m on a tight budget and I know these things can be quite pricey!

Thanks.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

DX Bastid
    Cheap and chearfull

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

There’s a nice set in the classifieds so I am told.

Had the 900 lumen DX for a couple of years and for the money it has been spot on.

martymac

farnham cycles are advertising the light and motion stella 400 for 160 quid.
    rrp is 275 on those.

Harry_the_Spider

There’s a nice set in the classifieds so I am told.

You mean these ? 😉

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I received my DX bastid (why “bastid”, anyone?) light today. It’s plenty bright enough and you can’t complain for less than £30.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

guitarmanjon, when did you order the lights?. Waiting for a set to come, just looking for an indication of current delivery times.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

GJ – another vote for the Bastids. No need to spend a fortune on lights if you haven’t used them before. Start cheap, if you like them upgrade and sell the cheaper set on here 😆

RustyMac

Smudge from mtbbatteries sells an XLM led version of the DX Light (a more modern LED than the cree P7) for £67 he claims these are higher quality than the DX ones. I have bought a few things off his site and the service has been fantastic so i’m confident in recommending him. His ligt comes with a UK charger and warantee from a UK company which in my oppinion is worth the little extra.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks everyone that’s just the sort of thing I’m looking for.

nobtwidler

Is that Bastid head mounted or bar mounted and what’s best if using just one light? Would I be better off with a pair of Bastids?

iainc

Would I be better off with a pair of Bastids?

I think the collective term is ‘a shower of bastids’ 😆 IGMC

montylikesbeer

one on the head and one on the bars would be lighttastic

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I keep meaning to get another DX Bastid for my head i have managed with one on the bars for the last 2 winters. Might be worth getting one now before the winter rush begins and the massive delivery time that brings.
    Has anyone got the old 900 and compared it with the newer 1200

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

They’re the same price nobtwidler but don’t know how they would differ? Do I need to be careful with the type of beam to go for?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Those hope visions are old tech – the smudge or the DX is far more light for far less money

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Hi all do we know if the smudge kit (MTB Batteries) comes with a bracket to fit on bars?
    Thanks
    Richard

z1ppy

I have both, the old P7 is a great unit for the cash, though a lot of light it’s one fault is doesn’t have a huge amount of long distance usable light (throw?). For a first light it’s a great way to get into night riding cheaply & is very effective.
    I used 2 with great results though (I’m greedy – one works fine), with one on my helmet (older torch type) & one on the bars. This year I’ve got one of Smudges XM-L units, though have only tested it once whilst riding. The ‘throw’ is amazing, but it’s narrow beam, with little spill. Fine on tight tracks but seemingly a little lost in open area’s. I still need to play with it, properly compare it to my old lights & try it on the helmet. This is where I think it may be the perfect setup, shining exactly where your looking.

gajones2663
    Free Member

Buy an Exposure Torro (look for old 2010 model) for the handlebar and look-up torchyman on e-bay for a 900 lumen head torch or go for two of the latter!!

althepal

Td, the Smudge xml comes with a bar mount and a sort of head strap thing.. Not a helmet mount as such, more like a head torch arrangement but I’m sure it could be modded to fit a helmet in some way..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What lights?’ is closed to new replies.