Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What lightish wheels?? Hope Pro II or Pro II SP or….
  • dickie
    Free Member

I'm looking for a lightish pair of new wheels for my Turner DW Flux.

I'm considering Hope Pro II/Stans Alpine or Crest rims. I'd like the option of different front axle's should choose to change from QR to 15 or 20mm axle forks, & I run UST tyres too.
    Is there any for or against reasons to use Hope Pro II SP hubs instead of normal Hope Pro II ?

Thinking of spending under £400, £300 would be better. What other otions should I consider at what price & from where?

If I were to stay QR I was also looking at Fulcrum Red Metal 3 wheelset.

iain1775
    Free Member

For SP – little bit lighter, look alot tricker, supposedly stiffer
    Against SP – more expensive, spokes not as easy to get hold of or replace, less proven straight pull design

Personally not had any issues with my Pro2 SP's with Stans 355 rims yet but its still early days

timbercombe
    Free Member

If you fancy a non SP Flow/ProII Rear QR in as VVGC drop me a mail. Can do relatively cheaply (you'd easily be able to afford SP and probably keep it under £250).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Hope Hoops on 355s (or Crests if they're changing imminently).

SP ones add cost, make truing and obtaining spares much harder and achieve little.

M6TTF
    Free Member

how does straight pull spokes make trueing that much harder?

njee20
    Free Member

They twist when you try and true them, particularly when combined with alu nips when tend to seize.

gingerflash

DT 240s and 717s. hubs are a fair bit lighter than Pro2s and the rims are pretty tough for their weight.

njee20
    Free Member

Also vastly more expensive.

If you do go down that route, go for ZTR Crest/Alpine as opposed to 717s, wider, tougher, lighter, convert to tubeless more easily.

Trekster

given the number of post on here recently re dodgy Hope hubs are there any alternatives?

njee20
    Free Member

240s are great, or the new ZTR hubs look pretty good, well priced too. Or XTR, you won't find a smoother rolling hub!

SamB
    Free Member

Cannot recommend Pro2 / 819s highly enough. Only problem is that I prefer the tyre profile that 823s give 👿

dickie
    Free Member

240's are too expensive, & I've heard of problems getting spares for XTR.
    If it wasn't for the cost I'd go with the above options as I hate the loud Hope free hub but as I say 240 too expensive & Shimano have free hub reliability issue's from what I've picked up.
    ZTR may be worth a look, & Hope on the fron for the axle options.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Recently got Hope 2 Pro/ xc717 rear and very pleased with it. Going to get a front one shortly (currently DT x430 and Spesh Stout). Light, I love Hope stuff and has so far survived some reasonable abuse without any issues.

Also gets rave reviews everywhere – apart from those who prefer 355s – fair enough I say.

My last hub was silent (near enough) and I thought I'd hate the Hope buzz but I now really like it – handy for alerting wildlife and pedestrians and it makes going really quick so much more fun! Also a good way to ensure you don't "panic brake" when airborne.

Adders69
    Free Member

Probably worth noting that the ZTR hub does a bit of the clicky thing like the Hope's … but not quite as loud ….

Can recommend the ZTR Hub / Alpine Rims setup – very light esp. Tubeless 😉

megastream
    Free Member

Hope Pro 3's on 355's – come complete with 3 bolt Hope rota's

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have the pro 3 sps on 355s ….

spokes are a bit shit – are they sapim ? they are rusting badly !!! black spokes at that … tempted to phone up hope and have a wee bit of banter with them regards that – i have wheels that are 10 years old with dt spokesi n that aint rusty !

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've just fitted a set of 355's on Pro II's, they're my second set of Pro II hubbed wheels and love em

dickie
    Free Member

I'm 14 stone – don't Pro 3 have a weight limit?

trail_rat
    Free Member

not seen anything referring to weight limit in the promo material unless its changed since i got mine ..

im 12 stone – but i do know guys who have destroyed them through power output :s

mines been good bar the rust issue – bust one spoke but they supply spares – my bike fell over in the van with a pedal through the spoke ..

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pro III's have a 85kg advisory weight limit on hopes website.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah well i bought mines just under a year ago and nothing like that was stipulated then …

im 76kg so all is good – i can see why they would want a weight limit as they would be flexy under some weight !

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It's not so much the pro3 that has the weight limit rather than the 24h. only put in place to make the 'ahem' larger gent think about getting the pro2 instead. I'm 83kg and have had no problems with any of my Pro3 wheels although the 24h is noticeably more flexible than the 32.

As for rusty spokes, that shouldn't happen because they're stainless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As for rusty spokes, that shouldn't happen because they're stainless.

my thoughts exactly blazing saddles …

over winter the wheels were only used for the puffer. whence after it was cleaned and stored in the house till last week …

dickie
    Free Member

Mmm, ZTR Hubs & Alpine rims maybe the way to go, light & multi axle hubs.

amplebrew

Another one for DT240's here.

I've got mine on some DT 4.2's and have been made up with them.

njee20
    Free Member

I've heard good things about those ZTR hubs, sure you won't go wrong with that combo.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What lightish wheels?? Hope Pro II or Pro II SP or….’ is closed to new replies.