Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • What light compliant steel frame for all day rides to 140-150mm
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hora did you not have an alpine with 150mm travel?

chiefgrooveguru

I love my Soul but I’d probably buy a BFe nowadays. I’m not some send it large DHer or DJer but I enjoy having my wheels off the ground and it’s all about the descents, drops, jumps and corners for me. The BFe is now only 0.7lbs heavier than the Soul size for size and is obviously way less rigid at the back than the original version with the fat stays. And you get ISCG tabs and a 44mm headtube so you can use all sorts of forks and anglesets.

I use 140mm forks on my Soul and there’s no way you’d persuade me to use shorter ones for my riding, absolutely no chance. Handles beautifully like that.

nedrapier

my medium Prince Albert Classic (new 853 one) weighed 2043g on the kitchen scales (5kg max on the scales, so I’d imagine that’s going to be pretty accurate) = a hair over 4.5lbs.

Mike recommended 100-140mm travel. I’ve got 120-150 Revs until I find a way of spacing them down. Tend to ride 120 for most things, 150 for blatting down. Works well enough to keep a smile on my face.

Entonox
    Free Member

My c456 is more compliant than my Soul ever was. And the frame is 1.5 lbs lighter.

I rode my Soul for about 5 years as my only bike including trips to Spain & the Alps. Fantastic frame. Did consider selling it once but I’ve decided to keep it just for mementos sake – might build it up again one day though.

But I do prefer the handling and feel of my c456.

BadlyWiredDog

I can’t afford a Ti frame.

Which is a shame as what you’re describing is pretty much a hardball ti – Ragley or maybe 456 Ti Evo, which costs 300 quid more than a Soul, which is a fair bit, but equally not that much when new full suspension frames are going for £1200 plus.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Kinesis Decade Virsa – the mk 2 frame.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I’m very happy with the MK2 Piglet I recently built up.
    Found it to handle as well as if not better than the C456 it replaced yet definitely more comfortable.
    The finish on the current Ragley frames is nicer than previous ones too and with ISCG05, 44mm headtube and excellent mud clearance make a very versatile frame and at 300 notes good value too in comparison to others mentioned.
    I’ve not bothered to weigh the bike or the frame when building but I can weigh one tomorrow if your interested.

nickc

You’re basically after a lightweight sledgehammer – correct?

To give hora a bit of credit, I know what he means. I use a Chameleon with 140mm thors, and as much strong/lightweight kit as I can afford and it’s a rocket ship, and it’d be even more of a rocket ship if it was a few pounds lighter. I was looking at (and rode a couple of ) FS: a Blur and a Lapeierre thing that the LBS recommended; both weren’t nearly as much fun as my Cham and the French thing was frankly disengaging.

I’d like a Carbon Cham but Santa Cruz won’t make one. (I’ve asked)

Bastards, they actually don’t want me to have fun… 👿

anotherstan
    Free Member

Pipedream Scion 853?
    Have one for sale if you’re interested? (…cheeky)

hora
    Free Member

A lighter medium old Chameleon?

Twistier/more fun than anything on two wheels FACT

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Do the right thing….get a Ragley! Either Piglet or Blue Pig flavours. I ride the latter and it’s awesome.

slackalice
    Free Member

Observing this with interest.

“Strong, light, cheap. Pick any two”

Springs to mind 😉

tymbian
    Free Member

@ anotherstan…rated for 90 – 130mm forks. Shame! 😀

stevede
    Free Member

The mk2 steel slackline is due out soon with 31.6mm seat tube and 44mm headtube so opens up the options on the fork and dropper post front. I’ve got a ti slackline and 2 rides in I can confirm the geometry to be pretty damn spot on with a fox 36 spaced down to 140mm (same a-c as a 150mm 32 or 34 I believe), mine had a baptism of fire at Gawton on Sunday then a xc ride on the coast on some nice singletrack this morning, so far so very good 🙂

RustyMac

What about a Genesis Alptitude if you can find one, they were rated to 160mm IIRC and were only a shade over the 5lb mark.

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone know what the BB drop on a Slackline is? BB height is such a random measurement as it varies with tyre size.

hora
    Free Member

No offence meant on the Alpine but I found it tall/leaned fwd feeling angles? For me. Plus it comes alive for supa-fast riding. That aint me 😆 8)

vondally
    Free Member

Oh dear lord…………..as in my last post
    29er.
    Or
    B
    You tried either…….whole new world out there of not quite correct for you frames……..
    Or
    Are you overbiked?

Try something that is designed for you not a marketing dream…..

Coyote
    Free Member

Oh I do enjoy a Hora “What Frame?” thread. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Vondally you contradicted yourself in one post seeing how haymarket-type mags are the ones pushing the new wheelsizes on us.

No ta. I’ve got decent 26er wheels, tyres etc.

I dont follow advertising. If I did I’d be wearing a Urge helmet etc etc

vondally
    Free Member

LOL hora…..irony lost in translation there
    Me I like my 29er and my yeti 7 both are comprises t
    Choose a bike for your riding and enjoyment, be comfortable with a compromise
    Alpine to tall and forward to you me scared me to death but loved it alas wrecked my neck and back
    Santa cruz blur…you did not like that me enjoyed it but pastures new called aka yeti asr7
    Just be honest with what you need…be patient as well
    Enjoy the new frame….Do tell us what you get

Ps love my urge enduring doesn’t hurt mt prolapsed disc in my neck……that gawd for marketing

scotroutes

I’m sure STW towers does too.

chiefgrooveguru

I dont follow advertising. If I did I’d be wearing a Urge helmet etc etc

We will pay to see you attempt this.

hora
    Free Member

BWD If we are ‘stretching’ I wonder how much progressive is asking for Brodie ti holeshots

messiah
    Free Member

Customisable Ti goodness from Kingdom… at a price though 8)

Gotama
    Free Member

If you are stretching then maybe throw Chromag into the fray? Just wondering how i can squeeze a Dekerf welded Surface past the other half……

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hora,
    You looked in the classifieds?
    There’s someone selling a Ti456 for £500.

boxelder

Soul or similar plus adjustable forks.
    Nimble and 150 mom forks isn’t happening.

hora
    Free Member

If you are stretching then maybe throw Chromag into the fray?

Oooo..
    http://www.chromagbikes.com/frames/kamui

woody2000

If you can’t afford Ti, you can’t afford a Chromag…… 😉

Anyway, you’ve already looked…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chromag-kamui-any-owners

jk1980
    Free Member

Maybe check out the production privee shan. If you’re after a medium then it’s just over 5lb and its specifically designed for 150-160mm.

I tried one last month and its convinced me to get rid of my soul, my new shan arrives in June

br
    Free Member

If you’re after a medium then it’s just over 5lb

He’s over 6 foot and looking for all-day comfort – the last thing he needs is another frame that is too small/short.

hora
    Free Member

b r my back doesn’t like long stretched out to bars feel. I need to be sat more up right. The all day comfort comes from not lugging a heavy bike around and being hit hard up the back by a stiff rear end (oo-eerr)

I tried one last month

Where??

The stylings abit ‘erm, unusual for me’- but it looks a good shape.

_tom_
    Free Member

Lower the fork and you’ll open up a wider range of frames. Plus it’ll just ride better with the fork at a proper height anyway.

jk1980
    Free Member

Hora,

Tried it with a guy from http://zulubikes.co.uk/ – only place you can get it, unless you fancy going to France!

binners

I may come to regret this, but do you want to try my P7? Its a medium so its perfect/too small for you. Its running 140 up front. Heavier than some, but be honest. if you’re that bothered about weight, then lay off the pies

And you’ve had a Sanderson Life. I seem to recall it didn’t make the end of its second week. Had you forgotten? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Binners- tried one on a ride, swapped off a Chameleon to a P7. The Chameleon was better.

binners

Thats not a fair comparison though. The Chameleon is a better bike for certain things. But about as compliant as a rail bridge. You can’t compare the two. I’ve had my P7 for 18 months, and its eclipsed the Chameleon as my favourite hardtail. It really is a perfect do-it-all, all day bike!

A chameleon after a full day in the saddle will leave you feeling live you’ve had some kind of Rohypnol and GBH fuelled experience after Cruz 101. Actually…. is that what you’re really after?

Bregante

some kind of Rohypnol and GBH fuelled experience after Cruz 101. Actually…. is that what you’re really after?

😆

hora
    Free Member

A chameleon after a full day in the saddle will leave you feeling live you’ve had some kind of Rohypnol and GBH fuelled experience after Cruz 101. Actually…. is that what you’re really after?

The equivalent of a sex-saddle in a gay sauna? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘What light compliant steel frame for all day rides to 140-150mm’ is closed to new replies.