Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • What life changing things did you manage to avoid?
  • NZCol

I had a Louise moment too, very accomodating but started to weird out a lot and then went full postal. I’ll be honest, i’ve avoided Louises ever since.

scud
    Free Member

I’ve had some hum-dingers, my nickname used to be “lucky dick” within a 4 inch radius of Little Scud, i’ve been stabbed accidentally by a kitchen knife when a chef, got serious frostbite in my thigh working in am abattoir as a student, got shot with a blank round on a Ash Ranges and stabbed myself with brake lever (along with dislocating shoulder and breaking arm) in the groin when rear wheel on MTB fell apart on hire bike riding down the “Worlds Most Dangerous Road” in Bolivia leading to huge blood loss as they missed the puncture wound and just pinned my shoulder!

In addition, i’ve been shot at and nd avoided a good few IED’s in the army and was sat in the Libyan desert working when 9/11 happened leading us to high tail it out of there pretty quick (ferrying geologists and scientists about for oil company).

At 18 the Land Rover in which i was travelling as a passenger was hit by a milk tanker, the driver lost a leg and has severe head injuries, i walked away with nothing but back pain, any other vehicle and neither of us would be here today.

mark90
    Free Member

I had a Louise near miss too. We used to work in the same bar together, there was a bit of chemistry and flirting. It almost happened one night after closing till we were interrupted by the landlord’s mother in law who was living in while the landlord was at his villa in Tenerife. I doubt that would have been a life changing encounter, but it was a bit of fun missed out on.

Tiffany, now she could have taken my life down a completely different path had circumstances been different.

plyphon
    Free Member

Her middle name was Louise, does that count?

5lab

my first gf was a louise (early days of secondary school). She didn’t turn out to be a mental, but if I’d stuck with her I’d not have had the ‘fun’ I had before settling down over a decade later

councilof10
    Free Member

I came perilously close to losing my life in the gas chambers of Auschwitz. Every day I thank my lucky stars that I was born 50-odd years later, in England and am not Jewish.

Louise got me too though. She was a PA to a chap that owned a very swanky converted Victorian orangery that he rented to a Liverpool footballer. She house-sat when he moved away on a loan spell. We tested his hot-tub, steam room, round bed with red satin sheets (I kid you not)… She threatened to tell my fiancé.

Batshit mental that one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

On the low side but makes you think…Cycled past a car on its roof in a ditch, on my side and facing me, wheels still spinning, occupants out and ok.

Dickyboy

I knew* a glamour model called Louise – latterly famous for being a conservative MP’s PA

* still can’t decide if avoidance was best decision of mine 😳

duffle
    Free Member

Ha Ha another Louise 😕
    Usual things as above…lovely looking, fun in and outside but the added complication of 2 lovely kids…..I still miss kids!!
    Oh and West Yorks though!

mt
    Free Member

I missed wining Tour de France again last year, I suspect it will be the same this year. Its hard work being unfit an not suitable for that particular challenge.

theotherjonv

following this thread…… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/12-week-scan-no-heartbeat

did not react well. I wasn’t there for my wife when she needed me most, instead became a binge-alcoholic, that couldn’t say no to just one more, leading to a few nasty incidents including sleeping rough and being robbed and twice vomiting in my sleep but avoiding becoming a statistic. It took a while to crack but I did it and I’m better for it.

more recently, have been suffering with depression brought on by stress and work pressure, to the extent of being stood on a tube station platform with my heart telling me ‘two quick steps and this is finished’. Fortunately my head won out and those times have passed, largely. Work’s still shit, but it’s just work, and IDGAF about it anymore.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

…Every little breeze seems to whisper “Louise.”
    Birds in the trees seem to twitter “Louise.”…….Can it be true, someone like you Could love me, Louise. – MC

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

1st.

I went OTB into a ditch. Tried to stand up and couldn’t. A tree root had embedded itself so far into my helmet, it took a good heave to get the helmet free once I’d unbuckled and and stood up without it.

2nd.

Having post GCSE party on Sidmouth beach and a few of us were going to go for a walk up towards the other end. We were about to set off when someone we hadn’t seen for a couple of years arrived and we chatted for 10 minutes. Just as we were about to go, there was a huge cliff fall: I suspect where we’d have been standing had we set off when we intended.

Rickos
    Free Member

She was called Caroline. Phew!

My dad was on Edda/Alexander Kielland doing 2 weeks on, 1 week off. He was on his 1 week off when it capsized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_L._Kielland_(platform)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mods – can you please change the thread title to “Louises and how to avoid them”?

matt_outandabout

At the end of Uni I was offered a job in Scunthorpe. 😯
    Thankfully I had an interview in Southern Scotland a week later, so refused the Scunny job in the hope of heading to Galloway…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not all that dramatic compared to some, but I was once involved in a nasty car crash – really stupid one.

I was the passenger in the last car in a 3 car convoy or “dickhead boy racing party”. The first car, a Renault 5 Turbo wearing over-sized wheels and fast road suspension flew into a sweeping left hand turn slightly too quickly and got away with it, a blink of an eye later the second car, a MK2 Golf GTI 16v wearing equally silly over-sized wheels and fast road suspension followed it in the great tradition of early golfs on 3 wheels, and a blink of an eye later we did the same – in a boggo Astra 1.4 GL wearing ditch finders and worn out standard suspension – it was a brave move by anyone’s measure – of course it didn’t work – the car pitched and got up on 2 wheels, the driver just caught it by steering out and it fell back onto 4 wheels, span, hit 2 cars and a tree side on – passenger side on – the passenger door was destroyed and so was the passenger seat – I got away with a mildly bruised leg because when the car went up on 2 wheels the seat belt failed and I was tipped onto the centre console and came to a stop sat on it.

flange
    Free Member

Cleo – 10th year at high school. We would have been 13….anyway, I got invited round for ‘tea’ at hers. My mum point blank refused to let me go. Cleo decides she’s had enough of me and instead goes for my mate Sam, who DOES go round for tea. Few weeks later, Cleo is preggers….

For the sake of continuity, I’m happy to change her name to Louise…

stevied
    Free Member

Canoeing at school in the depths of winter.. the council used to have a flat barge that they used to clear the river banks..
    As I’d done a lot more canoeing than the others in my class I ended up with our instructors slalom race canoe which was very unstable but very fast/agile.
    Current on the Severn was really fast and we were having a race from school boathouse to bridge and back.
    I was in the lead but started to get dragged towards the barge…last minute grab of the handrail and I managed to get my elbow over it. Canoe was pulled off me and proceeded to spin, upside down under the barge until I managed to get onto the barge to safety. Had I not been able to grab the rail I’d have gone under for sure.

edit:
    it’s a Claire for me, 9 years old, kissing on the table in our garden. She wouldn’t speak to me for days after as she thought I’d made her pregnant

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Mods – can you please change the thread title to “Louises and how to avoid them”?

😀 😀

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

A few –

1) On my scooter heading back from Maritime college in Bombay – guy opens his jeep door ended up slam straight into it, maybe it’s cos I’m a tall guy but I pretty much fell off on the spot and see my bike sliding across the road and a truck coming down at the same time – the bike goes under the truck to the other side!

2) Apprentice on a Bulk Carrier – working in the tanks – lowering some anodes on a winch – I was in the tank on the upper stringer and got pinned between the load and the railing and nearly got flipped over the railing (20m fall to the bottom) – was absolutely shaken

3) A couple of road accidents
    Road trip LA to Utah – fell asleep at the wheel had the car in cruise control at 90mph – woke up to see the car veering off and instinctively pulled the wheel over tapping the brake- skidded across the freeway into the central reservation – just two flat tyres but was absolutely shaken

Road trip to the Arctic – 60km out of Inuvik on the Dempster Highway lost control of the car as we rounded a bend and flipped over… one of best road trips though

MrOvershoot

The Pinkster – Member

Haha…. Another Louise…. Essex, this time.

Beautiful girl. Stunning.

Yep, same here, another Louise, also from Essex.

I know a Louise Essex though she married to gain the Essex name!

plyphon – Member

Her middle name was Louise, does that count?

My sisters middle name is Louise & she is on this forum 😮

tenfoot

During the storm in October 87 I stupidly had my nose pressed up against the window trying to see what was going on outside. As I turned away, I was showered with glass as a fence panel came through. Feel lucky I wasn’t blinded.

Marin
    Free Member

No kids to start.
    Fell between 2 trawlers on a stormy night whilst they were tied up. Skipper grabbed top of my head and pulled me out the gap before it closed and crushed me. Thanks Bob.
    Recited England football team names to convince paramilitaries in Guatemala I wasn’t in the CIA when they dragged me off a bus in middle of the night in 1996 and had a pistol pressed into the back of my head by a man wearing a balaclava. I may have soiled my pants but lived to tell the tale.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I met a loony Louise at school 30 years ago!
    Married her and we’re still together.
    She’s still a bit nuts though.

senorj

I only just avoided drowning in the beck at eskdale when I was about 12.
    A Louise showed me hers in first year primary.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Lyrics NSFW…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2g6WfqzrKU[/video]

Mr_C
    Free Member

I was listening to an interview with Victoria Pendleton today and had a lightbulb moment – a quick look on Wikipedia confirms her middle name is Louise.

The only Louise I know works on a site I visit occasionally and is extremely attractive but is as mad as a box of frogs.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

About 5 yrs ago in Morzine, we had done the PPDS and were on a day of local exploring.
    headed out of the ” Goat village” [can’t remember the name] and there were a number of fast road switchbacks back to Morzine. i was going far too fast and ended up losing the front end [mtb tyres and tarmac don’t mix kids!!] ended up on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner. Missed an oncoming car by inches and collapsed in a heap in the undergrowth.
    Never been with a Louise though….my nutcase was Julie!!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Riding down from the Col between Morgins and Chatel. Had been up rock climbing in the evening on a bike holiday (way back in the day). Had left all the bike stuff back at the apartment – stuff like helmet, armour, etc. Mate and I rode off from the climbing crag and neither of us clocked we’d pulled out on the left. Just as I hit warp speed down the road, a car came round the corner and I had a head-on with it. Don’t like to think what the closing speed was. Broke my back and all sorts of nasty flesh wounds, but consider myself very, very lucky. Back healed up fine and I’m all good.

user-removed
    Free Member

Beautiful-stunning-way-out-of-my-league-American girlfriend of three years on Erasmus prog went home a year late and sent me a Xmas card saying, “Merry Me” on it a few months later. Failed to understand what it meant and carried on my merry way. Penny dropped a few years later.

juanghia
    Free Member

Liking Reggae, Spiced Food and the Labour Party.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

late to the party here, I’ve been Louise’d also, pregnant within a month she was 😡

aracer
    Free Member

Haven’t had a Louise in my life – am I still allowed to post? Though come to think of it there was a Louise in one of my classes at school I kind of fancied and with the knowledge derived of no longer being a teenager with no confidence around girls I probably stood a chance – it was her friend (not called Louise) I really fancied though, and looking back I’m 100% sure she was also interested.

From pretty much the same time I visited the Houses of Parliament on 18th November 1987. On the way home we went to McDonalds then the pub. If we hadn’t gone to the pub then the tube train would probably have stopped at King’s Cross – it was incredibly inconvenient when they kept the doors shut and we couldn’t get off and go through the tube station to get our train home.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    late to the party here, I’ve been Louise’d also, pregnant within a month she was

And how long was it until the next?

😉

loddrik
    Free Member

World War 1 and 2.

I wasn’t born yet.

And I also missed 9-11 by virtue of not being in the twin towers at the time. Or in the USA. But it was a lucky escape!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

she’s the baby mama, not the mother of my other children 🙁

postierich
    Free Member

3 things that stick out ! fell off my road bike in rain went to AandE to get ribs checked out and the doc found this on my chest 3 weeks later chest surgery to get the bugger out luckily it was not attached to anything vital.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/hZbKpa]DSCF4172[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    In Belfast had 16 rounds fired at my OP I was the only one in there no kevlar vest on, one hit me in the arm back on duty 1 week later :0)
    Missed the Herald Free Enterprise Out of Zeebrugge due to getting there late

crazy-legs

A girl i was at uni with (not called Louise) was on a flight in America. American Airlines flight 77, Washington to LA.

A day later, that exact same flight was crashing into the Pentagon. She was properly shaken by that one although she got a very extended stay in LA courtesy of everything being grounded.

Bit closer to home, my grandfather was supposed to be transferred between ships (WWII) but the ship he was on was involved in some action so was a day or two late back to port.
    The ship he’d been due to go on sailed anyway and was torpedoed 3 days after that in the North Atlantic.

funkmasterp

In a severely drunken and high state as a teenager I fell over a small wall, with a large drop at the other side. Woke up in a patch of grass with headache, cuts, bruises and a bit of bleeding. Right next to me there was a piece of concrete with a large bit of metalwork sticking out of it. If I’d have fallen a bit differently I reckon I’d have been impaled.

I also narrowly missed being drowned or frozen in the frigid waters of the North Atlantic, by virtue of not being born when the Titanic sank.

My brother dated a Louise. She was attractive but also downright frightening.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘What life changing things did you manage to avoid?’ is closed to new replies.