Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What length cage rear mech?
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Looking for a new rear mech, probably X9 type 2 to go on the new build.

I’m running 2×10 will I get away with a medium cage mech or go for the long?

Cheers 🙂

igm

Check the spec, count the teeth.

I just put a short cage road mech on a 1×9 full suss bike and it works nicely.

twoniner
    Free Member

Cassette is 36t.

Am I right in thinking that if you run a double up front a medium cage will do?

jonnyrockymountain

Long cage for 3x
    Med cage for 2x
    Short cage for 1x

twoniner
    Free Member

Long cage for 3x
    Med cage for 2x
    Short cage for 1x

That was my understanding, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for that. 🙂

igm

Add the teeth difference at the back (presumably 36-11=25) to the teeth difference at the front (about 12 to 14 on a SRAM double is it?) getting 27 to 39. Find the shortest caged mech that’ll do 39 teeth and check it’s good for a 36t largest sprocket. Buy. Fit. Fettle.

It’s probably medium, but Shimano are suggesting long. Not sure I’d believe them.

twoniner
    Free Member

I found it on the SRAM website aswell last night. States the X9 type 2 10 speed medium is for use with 2×10.

organic355
    Free Member

According to United Bicycle Institute:

Determine Maximum Chainring Difference by subracting the number of teeth in the smallest chainring from the number of teeth in the largest chainring

Determine Maximum Cassette Cog Difference by subtracting the number of teeth on the smallest cassette cog from the number of teeth on the largest cassette cog

Determine Total Drivetrain Capacity by adding Maximum Chainring Difference to the Maximum Cassette Cog Difference

Record the Maximum Cassette Cog (the number of teeth on the largest Cassette Cog)

For Shimano:

SS – Short Cage Road Double – Maximum Cassette Cog is 27 and Total Capacity is 29

GS – Medium Cage MTB/Road Triple – Maximum Cassette Cog is 34(MTB)/27(Road) and Total Capacity is 33(MTB)/37(Road)

SGS – Long MTB – Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 45

For SRAM:

Short – Maximum Cassette Cog is 34(MTB)/28(Road) and Total Capacity is 32(MTB)/31(Road)

Medium – Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 37

Long – Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 45

For Campagnolo:

Short – Maximum Cassette Cog is 26 and Total Capacity is 27

Medium – Maximum Cassette Cog is 29 and Total Capacity is 36

Long – Maximum Cassette Cog is 29 and Total Capacity is 39

NOTE – THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE BY MANUFACTURER

And a great source for all of this is Sutherland’s 7th edition

http://www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/7th_Edition.html

Hope that helps

twoniner
    Free Member

The medium cage SRAM X9 type 2 is ok for a 36t cassette.

jonxmack
    Free Member

As others have said you’ll need medium cage for 2×10, but for the naysayers, my short cage X0 works fine with my 36t cassette set up 1x.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Medium for 2×10 for sure – I got rid of mine recently and went to short cage for a 1×10 set up

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What length cage rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.