• This topic has 42 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What leg injuries have you had (caused by cycling)?
  • Smee
    Free Member

How did it happen and how did you fix it?

Just doing a wee bit of research.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Area: knee
    Injury: graze
    Caused by: falling off
    Treatment: kissed better by your mum

Smee
    Free Member

Howdie Brother.

Kuco

pes anserine bursitis of the knee. Sorted by seeing a physio.

Spud

1" cut across calf down to muscle,
    Falling off and catching cable tie end,
    Glued, then glues again and steri-stripped after it went septic.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cuts
    Bruises
    Scratches
    This inside my ankle

resulting in this pedal modification

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Forgot to say how I did them.

Just riding along except for the ankle which was saving a young childs puppy from drowning.

DT78
    Free Member

Still healing up from 6" long 1" wide gash on calf – caught on a random branch (of all things). 9 proper stitches, 9 paper ones.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Has that got a SPuD cleat on the bottom, WCA?

singlespeedstu

Sheldona got a bad knee strain from standing at the side of his bike like a sailorboy.

bombadillo
    Free Member

4'' down to the bone gash to the right knee.
    happened at dalbeattie at 10.30am, bought a bottle of tcp in the village, applied in the park, and bandaged with my sock.
    proceded to ae to ride the route.
    drove home to wakefield arrived at 8pm, proceded to pinderfields hospital for knee scrubbing out and 16 stitches putting in.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Knee, soft tissue damage. Performed a spontanious frontal arial dismount & twa**ed said knee on the ground. Thought I'd done something serious it hurt that much.

rOcKeTdOg

caused by over zealous overtaking, took 10 months for the feeling to come back in the skin beneath my knee, lovely oozy scabs though (oh and a broken set of pace forks and a split and twisted Cove HJ frame)

bombadillo
    Free Member

rd, bigger blisters on my tool after a vigorous session of rumpy pumpy……. 😉

singlespeedstu

bigger blisters on my tool after a vigorous session…..

Were you w4nking with the studed glove on again? 😉

Keva
    Free Member

scuffed a pedal on the floor and ended up breaking my right ankle. Foot was pointing at 3'Oclock..

Kev

rOcKeTdOg

rd, bigger blisters on my tool after a vigorous session of rumpy pumpy…….

change your boyfriend's brand of lube?

martymcfly
    Free Member

Iliotibial Band syndrome (itbs)
    Had it in both legs / knees after doing longer distance events than i'm used to. Recurrent flair ups, hope it's ok at Kirroughtree on Wednesday 😯

bombadillo
    Free Member

😆

bassspine
    Free Member

Attempting to bunnyhop, foot slipping off pedal, pins impacting to shin. 6 perfectly circular scars. M'edTFU.

Smee
    Free Member

martymcfly – try stretching glutes – that should help.

carlosg
    Free Member

ruptured patella tendon

car cut across my path when I was riding home(super fit triathlete at the time)

Top sports surgeon flown from the big smoke to Leeds to operate , had to remove loads of rear passenger window glass from the 3" hole where my kneecap had been(now up on my thigh)and used a mixture of wire and disolving(that don't disolve but go manky inside you!!)stitches.

spent the next 4 months backwards and forwards to the physio and really put myself through a lot of pain to get the 97% mobility I now have , had the wire removed from the tendon at 5 1/2 months and spent a further 3 weeks back on the sticks.

It took me nearly 12 months after the accident before I would go near a road on a bike again and decided that I would only ride mtb's as if I get hurt it's likely to be my own fault.

Give me broken bones any day , soft tissue damage sucks big time.

jfeb
    Free Member

Nobby Nik on my front wheel that folded over during hard cornering. Deposited me on to the ground and embedded the chain rings in to my calf. 3 days before skiing but fortunately didn't impact my holiday 🙂

jedi

joolsburger
    Free Member

**** owwww..!!

Smee
    Free Member

jedi – what is hidden under that lot?

jedi

had it all taken out now too 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

Ever get any knee problems now – stiffness or pain etc?

jedi

not really 🙂

jedi

only lost 8 weeks riding in the 18months they said i cant ride 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

Good man.

jedi

4 weeks after having the metal and bone graft i was riding herts.then 4 weeks after having it all taken out too

househusband

A slow speed tumble onto large root caused what turned into 'shrekfoot' (a haematoma) as my Mrs hh named it; thought it was nothing when I got into the car at the end of the ride, and then I got home an hour later…

devs
    Free Member

I tore my calf muscle playing rugby 6 weeks ago. Cycling caused it though I'm sure. Still not fixed but I can get 20 miles or so out of it without problems now. Running or jumping is out of the question though.
    Besides that I got a chainring gash in my right knee after a chain snap incident. Didn't bother with stitches but now wish I had as it's quite an ugly scar.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Knee impacts into the ground and stem requiring layoffs
    The odd head impact into ground and once a tree!
    Broken toe on tree root
    Rib impact – bruising only
    Shoulder impact last weekend – not broken, but hurts. Going to see physio Monday.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

countless knee lacerations
    a haematoma in my calf that took 6 months' treatment to shift (ow!)
    a row of chainring punctures similar to above, which also resulted in a numb section on the side of my foot

mikertroid
    Free Member

Got hit by car.

Broke femur.

2mths in hospital on traction.

That WAS 25 years ago but my leg healed perfectly thanks to the use of a steimens pin and traction. No probs with it ever.

Would not want to repeat that event tho'!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing of any significance – the worst was a 1 cm full thickness cut on my elbow with some underlying damage that caused a tiny bursa. steristripped the wound and MTFU – the bursa went in about a year

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Trying to show the youngsters how its done at Dixons Hollow, Dalby. Still had a hematoma like half a melon 4 weeks later. 2 Bust ribs to go with it.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Worst one was a broken tib and fib in 1989 while riding home from work on a rigid spesh. going too fast and lost it coming off a footbridge over the river in Bedford. Very neatly folded my leg round a kerb.

I always reckoned it broke where the traction pin went through from when I broke my femur

Lots of cuts and bruises as well

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What leg injuries have you had (caused by cycling)?’ is closed to new replies.