Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what laptop for max £400
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

Laptop is playing up and probably needs retiring

Need a replacement, needs to do boring Msoffice stuff, and be Ok for picture editing

Prefer something robust and reliable, good battery life a bonus

Recommendations? Things to avoid??

Thinks

nickjb
    Free Member

I tend to favour Lenovo as they are usually well specced for the money and take reasonable abuse. I got my last one from saveonlaptops.com who usually have good deals and quick delivery.

molgrips
    Free Member

At least consider Chromebook, cos they are so awesome. Install Chrome and see if you can get by with the apps on there – if you can, you’re laughing. There is a photo editor on there which is ok for basic stuff now and again.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Lenovo sounds Ok

Are.the flex models any good

Any lemons?

IA

Check the dell outlet (remember to add vat to the prices you see listed), in particular the biz part of it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I like Lenovo, generally very robust.

I had a works HP that was made of cheese but I have just bought a refurb HP for £220 of this mob http://www.accomputerwarehouse.com/ Quad core 1.8ghz, 750GB and 6gb ram. Seem pretty well put together and runs fast enough for what I need.

mark88

Avoid Acer. I bought one a couple of moths ago and it is awful. Much slower that the 4 year old Compaq it replaces

philtricklebank

If your old one is just very slow, get a 240Gb Crucial solid state drive from amazon for £85, replace your existing HDD with this and do a clean install on it. Mine just got a new lease of life, until something else breaks on it that is!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I got a Lenovo just before Christmas, works well, and the touchscreen is really good and useful.

Just a shame Windows 8.1 isnt quite there yet….

That was from PC world £400, couldnt get it cheaper any where else.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m after a laptop for same reasons really, any idea why I shouldn’t buy one of these?.

asus

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bumpy

racefaceec90

ihave a toshiba satellite that i bought from argos for £300 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1478710.htm
    i really like it.

seavers
    Free Member

After buying new consumer laptops in that price range and finding they die within a few years I have recently gone for a used Thinkpad T430.

Its built like a tank. However its built to last. i5, 500gb HD etc. Its a great machine. If you like sleek, HP do the Elitebook. All aluminium and can be had for under 400. Used but mint. These business laptops are built to last and be used more than consumer options. They may originally cost over a grand but if you are clever about how you buy one you can get a solid machine, with manufacture warranty within your budget.

seavers
    Free Member

double post. sorry.

unovolo
    Free Member

+1 for Dell Outlet

Just got a cheap refurbished one for £219 all in to replace our old one , cant fault it for the money.

Looks like brand new and has a 12month warranty included.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what laptop for max £400’ is closed to new replies.