Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What laptop £400 – £500
  • klunky
    Free Member

Anyone suggest a laptop for someone who knows nothing about them?
    My current HP pavilion has been good to me for around 6 years but is more or less dead (has been dropped etc).

I only use it for browsing, emails, ITunes and MS office.
    Want it to have the ability to watch DVDs too.

Was thinking this one but no idea if price is good?

http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-15-ab104na-laptop-amd-a10-12gb-ram-1tb-full-hd-15-6-/p2477295

or

http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-17-g135na-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-1tb-17-3-sunset-red/p2483525

As both are £480 in store just now.

ta

Klunky

seosamh77
    Free Member

I only use it for browsing, emails, ITunes and MS office.
    Want it to have the ability to watch DVDs too.

enny menny minny mo….

klunky
    Free Member

I guess I’m asking if the above links are good enough value for money…

daviek

Dell have an outlet store for refurbished ones which are usually worth a look

jeffl

Both of those look ok. I’d be tempted to go with the first as it has a higher resolution screen, although I don’t know what AMD processors are like these days.

Oh only other thing I’d say is that an SSD made my laptop feel so much more responsive.

jimwah
    Free Member

AMD A10 processor is better for basic games, but spec seems decent on both for the money; I’d probably opt for the i5 / 8Gb version just because 17″ screen is more comfortable to work on for long periods and watch DVDs, and I like the nice red case 😉 SSD would be nice but can always upgrade later if you can’t track down one with an SSD at this price.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well I’d choose the second one because it’s Intel and I’m far more familar with them, it’s not far of the spec my laptops too but it’s over-kill for your requirements really, although it will be nice to use and it’s fairly priced for mainstream providers.

If £550 is your top budget and you don’t need 1TB of storage I’d spend less on the LT and invest in a 500GB SSD, for most users it offers more of a speed advantage than a bigger processor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What laptop £400 – £500’ is closed to new replies.