Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What Lambretta did I see on the motorway?
  • zippykona

It was a 4 stroke , cruising at 75 mph and not breaking down.
    A quick search shows a modern version but I can’t imagine a 150 cruising at 75mph. Plus it looked like an old one but on a 95 plate.
    Confused.

kilo
    zippykona

Definitely Lambretta .

bennn
    Free Member

It’ll either have been a conversion to a much newer auto, or have a look at Scomadi.

zippykona

Scomadi it is.
    Looked good and was going really well.

maccruiskeen

It was a 4 stroke , cruising at 75 mph and not breaking down.

Saw something similar around about the scottish borders the other day – amongst the trucks and shit weather. Looked dicey – smelled awful.

nsaints
    Free Member

If it was a 95 plate and Defo
    a 4 stroke it must have an engine transplanted from a donor bike/scooter. Else it could have been a tuned two stroke. My 1967 plate SX 186cc has electronic ignition and a top end from a kart racing engine. That can reliably sit at 65 mph all day. A 200cc + machine could achieve 10 mph on top of that
    There’s quite a few advances in 2 stroke tuning and with an older generation of scooterists rebuilds are done properly throwing £’s at achieving something reliable and fast. Gone are the days of the 80’s

Targa twin anyone?

http://www.lambretta.co.uk/targatwin.html

nsaints
    Free Member

I thought scomadi, but the 95 plate threw me. I thought they were on a new plate

yunki
    Free Member

Was the one of the highlights of the summer as a kid, watching the convoys of scooters buzzing along the A30 past my house on the way to rallies

epicyclo

This one? 🙂

[video]https://youtu.be/B3QFPNUj_nw[/video]

zippykona

I guess it could have been a personalised plate.
    It was definitely a scomadi. The indicators are distinctively ugly !

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of Vespa’s and Lammy’s and always scorned modern scooters but that Scomadi doesn’t look half bad!

The one I always wanted was a Rosser Lambretta with a Yamaha 350 boiler engine, utter madness.

alanf
    Free Member

My mate used to build Lammy reps. He would build a space frame around a modern 4 stroke and takes all the donor parts and graft on the rest of the lambretta frmae (front tube and headstock) and cover it with grp bodywork. He also did some retaining the original bodywork but they are a lot more involved.
    I think it was called Lambretta evolution when he was doing it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My brother in law has 4 lambrettas now. A couple will happily do 85mph IIRC!

grtdkad

Still need to treat myself to a nice GP with a TS1 or RB225 conversion, although the capacities (and performance) appear to be increasing all of the time (to 235/240cc).

Colleague of my missus was a tad shocked recently when he was passed on a dual carriageway by a Lambretta that made him feel like he was going backwards! There’s some great, well engineered bikes out there tbh.

woffle
    Free Member

My (lapsed mod) father has a lovely vintage Lambretta sat in his garage where it’s been languishing for about 10 years. It was a full professional restoration job that he received as a thank-you gift on retirement! My brother might know the details but it cost thousands when bought.

No idea of the model but it’s a thing of beauty and I keep trying to persuade him to get it out and either sell it or use it!

zippykona

Doesn’t this just look the business?

Pigface
    Free Member

That YPVS engined thing must be murder to ride 😯 amazing engineering but blinking flip it must be a handful

alanf
    Free Member

Just to add, my mate did one with a DRZ400 lump in it! It was a fire breather…

zippykona

Sorry about the picture but had to sneak it while serving a customer. Definitely a 4 stroke.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What Lambretta did I see on the motorway?’ is closed to new replies.