Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What knife sharpening block?
  • DrP

I’ve a few outdoor knives/penknives/kitchen knives – they’re all going blunt.

I want to sharpen them ‘properly’, and tehre’s a whole plethora of blocks out there..
    The Lanksy tri block looks ok – 3 grades, sturdy base. But for £50, is tehre a better brand/product out there??

Ta!

DrP

daftvader
    Free Member

A bit of googlefu found this dealLinky seems a good price

Murray

Fished my old carborundum double sided stone out of the woodwork box. YouTube video, bit of water and my knives are all sharp. Not sure you need more.

Cougar

I took mine to a local butcher, who did ’em professionally for nowt. Wouldn’t even accept a tip (so I bunged it in the charity tin).

DrP
    daftvader
    Free Member

For me, as a knife maker, I use a couple of different stages to sharpening… First is a sheet of 400g wet and dry on a board then I move onto a double sided water stone of 1000g and finishing on the 6000g side. This makes the blades razor sharp. I don’t bother with any fancy block for the stone either, just some cheap anti slip matting from the range…

Cougar

Number 1 for me here…

Oh, sure. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t trying to be an arse, just offering an alternative suggestion.

DrP

daftvader, i think the double sided stone i what i’d need, just to maintain sharpness (rather than create an edge from a rough grind, like I imagine you do..)
    What block do you have? Ta

DrP

daftvader
    Free Member

One of these Link! . Probably more than you want to spend tho!!!
    Edit: don’t discount the wet and dry however. My knives are sharp once they have been given the primary grind, probably as sharp as most people’s kitchen knives… The wet and dry is just the first process…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have the usual sharpening stone for carpentry. It works well enough in the kitchen too, the rough side is almost unused. I sit it in a tray of aluminium foil, to stop the oil draining out.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Have a look at the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
    Similar price to the Lansky and works very well.

nedrapier

Just been looking at these on Amazon, been pondering the same recently.

For the same price as the Lanky tristone thing, you can get 2 combi stones – a 400/1000 and a 3000/8000. Or just a 600/1500 (??? – daftvader?) for £25 or so. Probably no worse quality of stone as the 3-sider, but you’re not paying for the design and the plastic.

daftvader
    Free Member

Neildraper… I guess it goes with how you want your knives sharpened…a 600/1500 is perfectly adequate for the majority of blades around the home, pair it with a good quality steel and your knives will be great. The only reason I go up to 6000 then strip with an extra fine compound is So that I know I’ve sent my knives out as sharp as I can get them (within reason… I am looking at a 10k grit stone for straight razors)

nedrapier

“neildraper” never had that before! 🙂

Great, I need something for wood chisels, pocket knives, kitchen knives and axes. Sharp enough to get through tomato skin without pressing down is as much as I need!

daftvader
    Free Member

That’s my dyspraxic brain not functioning again!!!

DrP

I just ordered a “king 47506” 1000/6000 water block and stand of Amazon. Just under £30…should do me well!!

Now to be patient and not just scrape the knife back and forth!!

DrP

daftvader
    Free Member

You will find that starting at 1000g will take a long time to develop an edge. If I were you I’d get a coarser stone as well, depending on how bad the knives you have, actually are….

Earl
    Free Member

Screwfix diamond stone. 3£

Back of a Chinese fish bowl. £1.20

DrP

You will find that starting at 1000g will take a long time to develop an edge. If I were you I’d get a coarser stone as well, depending on how bad the knives you have, actually are….

Some of the knives are pretty bad, yes, but my ‘nice knives’ and my mora fire knife have simply lost their ‘zing’, so this should be fine…

DrP

daftvader
    Free Member

Should be ok then! For those that are really bad either sort them with the wet and dry first… Don’t forget to occasionally dress the water stone to keep it level… Loads on YouTube about that

JEngledow
    Free Member

Does anyone use a guide to get the angle right?

daftvader
    Free Member

I use to… But now do it by feel for my chefs knives…. The majority of utility knives have a very defined bevel so they are quite easy to do without a guide

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What knife sharpening block?’ is closed to new replies.