Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What Knee Pad? The quest continueth
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my ace but ageing Kyle Straits with an all-day pad and wondered what people were advising?

I ordered and returned some IXS Flows (too minimal for the gnarr I ride) and Race Face Ambush (odd sizing – medium were very tight on the thigh and calf but very loose on the knee) and as I use specialized 2FO lite shoes they’re quick to remove anyway.

A mate wears POC VPD 2.0s which he rates but says they get sweaty.

Any other ideas? ION K-Pact maybe?

duncancallum

In the usual I have vein. I have some raceface ones that have that there custard in them. Don’t find them obtrusive at all

bruneep

what size of KS did you have? Have a pr in garage as new used twice if that.

Otherwise its Bliss Minimalist I use

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Tried every pad known to man and ended up with POC Air.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’ve got limited knee pad experience as I spent years on the full shin type but my fox launch pads fit me really well, are beefy enough to fend off everything I’ve thrown at them and are really quite flexible. My favourite part is the extra padding on the inner knee to stop banging against the top tube.

mark90
    Free Member

Have kyle straits, poc air and g-forms. Protection level in that order. Did try some poc vpd 2.0 (along with loads of others) and they seemed very similar to the kyle straits. So I ended up keeping the poc air as I wanted something a bit lighter than the kyle straits.

The fox launch do seem to be very popular pad amongst my riding buddies.

Northwind

I did much the same thread, Fox Launch is very kyle straitey. Not quite the same shape, doesn’t fit me as perfectly and sometimes chages the back of my knee but they’re still good.

I was going to try the K-Pacts next but these might be a keeper.

kraken2345
    Free Member

That’s one of the reasons I got them, saw so many people from trail to dh riders using them so figured i’d give them a shot. Also, a lot cheaper than some alternatives I’ve seen with the impact gels etc.

Bucko

The 661 Evo on sale at CRC get good reviews don’t they?

stewartc
    Free Member

Have RF Ambush and POC Air’s, find the Ambush really useful for all dayer’s where I want to easily put them on then off, the Air’s are hardly noticeable when riding but a bit of a pain on long climbs in the SEA humidity.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I think the Ion K Pact look like a good option. Not used them myself though

pnik

bliss basic

I’ve recently got a pair if these to replace 661 straits, they seem very similar to the point of copies to me, although possibly the kneecap isn’t as hard.

Sport pursuit had some for 19.99 a day or 2 ago, after i paid 60 in a bricks and mortar shop a month ago.

I tried loads on these seemed the best fit and coverage for me.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Hmmmmm Fox Launch Pro. Having had them since they first came out I’m on my second pair. The first are worn out really tatty and slip down easily after about yeah and a halfs wear. My current ones are starting to slip down. Last time I crashed the hard cup which sticks out further because of the worn/loose thigh cuff, caught on the ground, whipping both of them straight down my legs. I ended up with a deep graze on the side of my knee. TBH it’s hard to tell if it would have been any worse with no pads.

It’s the top thigh cuff that gives up as they wear, the bottom cuff holds well. As a result they bag down and stick out further, which if caught on the top of the hard cup just get yanked down your leg leaving your knees exposed.

They are comfortable for a relatively bulky pad, keep your knees warm in winter and are just about liveable in summer. There are far worse pads out-there but I wouldn’t recommend them as they have proved to be yet another piece of MTB kit that only lasts about a year before problems start. Obviously with light infrequent use you will get years out of them.

Northwind

<Buys pair of Bliss Basics>

Still some sizes at sportpursuit btw, but not Basic

rhid

I used fox launch pros on my Dh bike and sweet protection bearsuit lights for other stuff. Both fit OK which is important. Both pairs shift about a bit and get a bit hot but every pad I have tried has done the same. These two seem to work well for me though.

buckster
    Free Member

Ive got ION KPact, work incredibly well. Comfy and grip for an all day ride, you forget you are wearing them for the most part. Great padding, velcro etc.

steveh

I have the leatt 3df knee pads and they’re great. Single strap, don’t move when riding or crashing and are very comfy.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I went from Kyle straights to troy lee kgs 5400
    It’s a different pad a lot less bulk but has an internal she’ll type knee protector.
    Find these a lot more comfortable on longer rides.
    If you do look at these have a close look at the size guide as a large in the 661 is more like medium on trot lee

rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm if you like Launches or their Nukeproof clones you may or may not like 7iDP Flex. They’re a very similar fit but somewhat less bulky. Would recommend getting a couple of sizes the right size kind of slots into place IYKWIM

Would agree the POCs are sweaty but I find most pads with VPD/D30 are the same. More of an issue with condensation rather than warm per se

joebristol

I’ve got 661 comps which are full knee and shin guards. Probably not a general use all day cycling shin pad so rule those out. Fine on uplift days, and in September I did 4 laps of Cwmcarn wearing them – but in the summer they’d be too hot and sweaty.

mark90
    Free Member

A mate got the Bliss basic pads, they lasted one ride before the straps and stitching gave way. Maybe it was a bad one off, who knows.

They certainly appear very similar to kyle straits though.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Poc vpd 2.0 for uplift days, tld kg5400 for trail riding

I bought these; http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/322323532766?_mwBanner=1

Which is a bargain if you’re a medium.
    Check the sizing chart as it’s a bit off compared to other brands- I had take the top in by 1/2 an inch with my sowing skillz

zelak999
    Free Member

POC VPD 2.0s for me.
    Had the same pair for over 4 years now.
    I dont find them sweaty at all, in fact i dont even notice they are there until i fall on my knees.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

IXS Flows still seem to be going strong for me. Have been racing DH & enduro in them & they are plenty comfy enough.

The new TLD Raids look good, apart from the eye watering price.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just ordered some ION K-Pact so will report back once they arrive.

Cheers

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

The new TLD Raids look good, apart from the eye watering price.

They are good. I’ve only used mine for a week in Saalbach so far but there were proper fit and forget. No rubbing or re-adjusting at all. I usually use 7idp transitions but wanted something a bit more heavy duty and they are easily as comfy.

I must have been feeling flush as I paid full retail in my lbs as they where the only place I could find a m/l!

strangey13
    Free Member

I was looking at the Troy Lee Raids as their stuff normally fits really well but struggled to find them so have ordered some Dakine Hellions to try. Seem to get good write ups and aren’t too bad price wise if you shop about a bit.

proutster
    Free Member

I’ve had my Ion K-Pact pads for a month now and they are as comfy as my 661 Kyle Straits were before they wore to pieces.

I haven’t yet fallen off properly whilst wearing them (curse-of-doom just invoked) but they feel as if there will be more protection from the “hard-ish” pad. BTW the “hard-ish” pad is removable for washing which is a bonus.

Recommended 😀

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

On my 2nd pair of Fox Launch pads, first set purchased in 2008 and lasted until this year, just got some more.

Can ride 3 to 4 hours in them and never had chaffing. They are a proper tough pad able to take knocks from rocks. Recommended

hughjayteens
    Free Member

The Ion K-Pacts have arrived and look/feel great. Seem very good quality and fit well. Assuming they’re not too sweaty I think the search is over!

Plenty of padding around the side too which looks like it’ll help in an off.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

hughjayteens – where’d you purchase from? Looking for a good deal on the K-Pacts myself.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

They were from Lakes Cycles – think it’s a Kendal based LBS but they have a decent online store and we’re the cheapest (£55 posted). I think I got the last pair though as they don’t seem to have them anymore.

https://www.lakes-cycles.com/ion-protection-k-pact-mtb-knee-pads

They also had 40% off a load of Troy Lee stuff so bought myself some shorts too!

https://www.lakes-cycles.com/brands/troy-lee-designs/?limit=all

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Race face Dig for me……hard shell.

The main benefit is the fact you can take them on and off without your shoes and socks coming off.

Top pads.

frogrocket
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of RF Ambush for the ability to out on/take off without shoe faff.

Velcro has stretched too much to fit well now but they’ve been very hard wearing for the last 3 years.

Don’t suppose anyone’s ever replaced the velcro straps on pads to extend the life?

dogthomson

pnik – Member
    bliss basic

I’ve recently got a pair if these to replace 661 straits, they seem very similar to the point of copies to me, although possibly the kneecap isn’t as hard.

Sport pursuit had some for 19.99 a day or 2 ago, after i paid 60 in a bricks and mortar shop a month ago.

I tried loads on these seemed the best fit and coverage for me.

Thanks for this pnik, I just ordered some from SportPursuit. Hard to turn down at that price!

markoc1984

Bit of a hijack,

Is this time of year a bad time to buy pads as everywhere seems to be out of stock of the k_pact and the RF ambush?

I’m looking for the k_pact in XL and can only find overseas, and the ambush in xxl and even the sites that say they are in stock won’t despatch until march.

I’m looking because I have some older 661 rage but they slip down quite a lot and I got some heavy bruising just above my knee cap from an OTB last weekend.

Thanks

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Second hijack – for those that have the k-pact, how do they survive repeated washing? I’m assuming the d30 / intelligent foam stuff can be removed for eashing as I believe machines don’t do it any good?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ve found that generally the Euro shops are the best place to get ION gear at any time of year but there is an occasional Uk shop deal.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

sofaboy73 – Member
    Second hijack – for those that have the k-pact, how do they survive repeated washing? I’m assuming the d30 / intelligent foam stuff can be removed for eashing as I believe machines don’t do it any good?

I’ve not actually used mine yet so can’t answer re washing, but the foam does come out for washing so I assume they’ll be fine. Seem very well made.

Northwind

I asked them that question and they said they’re machine washable at 30 degrees.

Sizing seems a bit odd though, I’m a medium in most things but I could barely get the medium Ions on. I’ll try again with large.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What Knee Pad? The quest continueth’ is closed to new replies.