Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What kind of cycling photography would you pay for?
  • gazerath
    Free Member

I’m a photographer and I have two very distinct sides to my photography. There is the more traditional side then an illustrative fine arty strange side.

I’m in the process of researching how to set up freelance and realise that the two don’t work together. I love cycling and would like to incorporate that into what I do, but I realise event photography doesn’t pay. How many of you have taken part in an event then nicked the image off the website with a sneaky right click, or screen print instead of paying? tut tut 🙂

So I’m looking at other avenues.

Would anyone pay to have photos of them taken with their bikes, think like the promo shots of Mark Cavindish or a documentary of them out riding? I’m good at what I do I just need to figure out which direction to take.

I am also looking at setting up workshops, been a teacher for six years has made me realise I like teaching but not too annoying kids in colleges who don’t want to be there.

My website isn’t built yet as I’m been indecisive as what to put up.

footflaps

How many of you have taken part in an event then nicked the image off the website with a sneaky right click, or screen print instead of paying?, photographed every rider and made them all available free at full 16 mp resolution on Flickr

Tick

tthew

Would anyone pay to have photos of them taken with their bikes, think like the promo shots of Mark Cavindish or a documentary of them out riding?

Not something I’d pay for personally.

Most of the event photographers put a watermark across the middle of the web verion of the image so people don’t pinch them. There’s a massive difference in event photographers skills IMHO. If you could take your illustrative strange arty shots of riders during events, instead of the standard shot from the side of the trail unimaginative ones, I may buy something like that.

footflaps

Would anyone pay to have photos of them taken with their bikes, think like the promo shots of Mark Cavindish or a documentary of them out riding? I’m good at what I do I just need to figure out which direction to take.

This is what Joolze Diamond seems to have moved into, that and doing commissions for BC.

stumpy01

I’d buy event photography pics, but only decent ones.

In fact I have bought a couple of them in the past, as they were great photo’s. Both photo’s the photographer had clearly understood that ‘generic bloke riding along a path’ isn’t very interesting, so had found interesting sections of trail and got into a great viewpoint.

Too many ‘event photographers’ seem to have the idea that because they are taking pics, people will buy them and it doesn’t really matter if they are any good or not.
    I’ve been to loads of events where the photographer hasn’t seemed to want to venture more than 1/2 mile from the car park and is stood in a really boring location (wide fireroad etc.) pointing his camera so the background is full of car park or other features that you don’t really want to see.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What kind of cycling photography would you pay for?

None. Events have loads of free pictures.

I don’t love myself (or my bike) enough to want to have a staged picture taken.

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally, I think MTBing is a crap subject for photography. It’s extremely difficult to get an interesting image of a person on a bike.. at least, judging by most of what’s out there.

nickjb
    Free Member

There might be a market for getting a pic as a gift. Somebody (probably a wife/partner) buys an hour of your time to take some pictures and get a nice print at the end. Cycling might be a bit limiting and difficult, how about general sport? We had some great pics from a pro snapper at one of our rugby games. You could do sessions at tournaments, training or at a tennis club for example.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.rootsandrain.com/rider1135/michael-smith/photos/
    2 or 3 of these

Seb has got the idea right here, organising photos so you don’t have to trawl 4 sites and 500 pics after an event but just get your pics at a price that you will pay for 1.

gazerath
    Free Member

I’d not heard of Joolze Diamond but just had a look, some really ace images on there. Thank you.

I’m working with the national midlands XC vet at the moment on some photos and trying a few ideas out as well as got a few cyclists lined up as my would be guinea pigs.

I would like to get some work for magazines I guess sort of cycling lifestyle, much like the ace photos you see in single track magazine. Think this is partially what is inspiring me.

Right back to researching. Event photography probably ticked off, defiantly not really what I was wanting to do.

fasthaggis

Personally, I think MTBing is a crap subject for photography. It’s extremely difficult to get an interesting image of a person on a bike.. at least, judging by most of what’s out there.

All subjects can be good or bad,it’s down to the photographer.
    I have seen plenty of very good ( and very bad )ATB photos .

MrSmith
    Free Member

Would anyone pay to have photos of them taken with their bikes, think like the promo shots of Mark Cavindish or a documentary of them out riding?

organisations do pay for good imagery but unless you have location lighting sorted (and i don’t mean a couple of little flashes and an ebay radio trigger) and a solid portfolio of high quality images then it’s a non starter apart from the odd commission from an amateur cyclist. i would think the money they would expect to pay is not worth the effort for a working photographer.

all IMHO

gazerath
    Free Member

I agree about the shit MTB photography out there. Theres so much of it and I have no desire to be a sports photographer like ones working in press covering races. Competition is far too high. I like doing stuff like this.

Set up, with artificial light, that was just a quick play around trying my speed lights out.

avdave2

Take people out on bike rides while teaching them photography on the way. A good ride could include urban and natural landscapes and action photography. You good do single rides or multi day tours, judging by this site a lot of people who like get out and ride bikes also like to take photos.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s good. That kind of photoshoot could be a new market, and might appeal to the Rapha wearing or fixie riding lifestyle crowd.

I’d think most people would not be narcissistic enough to pay someone to take arty photos of themselves though? I mean, something like that I’d hang on my wall if I knew it was a documentary shot of a chance scene, but if it was a set-up photoshoot including me, no chance.

gazerath
    Free Member

Riding photographic workshops would be ace. I did attend one two years ago with Benji Halworth who works for singletrack. Was a great experience but I did know most of what he was teaching. That idea did pop into my head when I was doing it but then got complacent with my job and forgot about my photography and setting up. but now is the kick up the backside time.

As for arty shots, I would love just follow people on my bike with camera or find out their routes and be able to get into a location where I could shoot them. Get some off guard shots but make sure they were arty and cool.

Did also have an idea for a personal project about people and their bikes. Would need willing volunteers for that to turn into a book or an exhibition. 😀

avdave2

Rather than try to set up multiday events yourself you could try selling yourself to companies already running MTB holidays. People on those could choose to take one of their days out with you as an extra excursion. You’d probably get some sales of photos of other participants as well. I think many people don’t need or want a week long course but just some hands on advice. The nice thing about riding along is that you can really talk to people and understand what they want out of the day. Ask anyone who signs up to email you example of photos they like so your already partially briefed.

fasthaggis

Did also have an idea for a personal project about people and their bikes. Would need willing volunteers for that to turn into a book or an exhibition.

If you include some sheds in that ,I think you are on a winner 🙂

piemonster

Would anyone pay to have photos of them taken with their bikes

Not me. Can’t be more helpful as I’ve no understanding of why I’d want such a thing.

gazerath
    Free Member

Brilliant idea avdave2 I never thought about contacting cycle holiday companies. I’m working on my fitness at moment, think it’ll have to be pretty good to carry a camera out with me, but that may mean having to save to buy a lighter camera to take with me oh damn!

chewkw
    Free Member

I would definitely not pay for those photos of the Olympic cyclists.

I prefer ordinary human being on old style gentleman/woman bike.

gazerath
    Free Member

piemonster that was helpful because if the answer is no, then as a business I need to find another route to approach. Negative feedback is good feedback in my eyes, if everyone agrees then I have no balance and can’t learn 😀

gazerath
    Free Member

I didn’t mean to buy the photos of the olympic guys, but have photos of ordinary human beings shot in a similar way. You and your mates out enjoying a ride, or a post ride shoot covered in mud and grim. Stick it on the wall, look what we did, sort of bragging rights.

mogrim

Maybe getting together with someone like jedi, be great to finish off a skills course with a decent picture of you doing a jump or whatever?

annebr
    Free Member

The only bike photography that I’d buy would be iconic imagery and arty stuff that relates to my interest. Not interested at all in getting pics of me and my bike.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe photos of people’s children biking? I’m looking at getting some pics of my son on the wall – much prefer unposed action photos than ‘smiling at the camera’ ones.

footflaps

I’d say it’s very hard to make a living unless you’re exceptionally talented and got all the right contacts to sell stuff. There’s only a handful of pros making a living from bike photography and they’re all top of their game.

The biggest problem is too many half decent amateurs like myself giving stuff away or selling photos below cost eg I managed to sell some photos of the Olympic MTB race to the PR companies for the bike vendors, but a few quid once every 4 years isn’t much of a business plan!

This Ad will appear in Mountain Bike Action in September 2012 by brf, on Flickr

gazerath
    Free Member

Well done on the photo though at least you’ve got some money coming in, even if it is a few pennies.

I agree about the photography aspect been extremely difficult to make a living from, this is why I’m doing my research to see what is so unique about me, my ideas and what I do. I do have some confidence in my abilities I just need to hone my skills down and target the right place and clients.

I’ve no intention to give up the day job just yet, tempting as it is.

gazerath
    Free Member

What does Jedi do?

Kids on bikes is another avenue I could pursue, had a similar conversation with my partner as she rides horses and said a similar thing about children on horses.

But I need to ensure what I do I enjoy doing, I don’t want to turn it into a mundane day job where my only concern is quick photos for a quick buck. Quality is my biggest concern, silly as it sounds the money is second priority. Hence why I’m a bit s*** as a business man.

kimbers

a dark and moody shot of me sending it off a huge rocky cliff to make me lood like ive got the mad skillz

well something like that

footflaps

I really think that modern DSLRs have killed off most of the professional photographer market as so many people now want to take photos rather than buy photos.

Chap who lives opposite me was a pro in the 80s, made a lot of money, paid off his mortgage, bought a few flats for income and retired at 40. He now potters about on his allotment, goes off travelling when he feels like it. Doesn’t take photos any more!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I pay for event photos, or have done, dozens of them.

Hard to imagine paying a photographer to take my photo one on one. Not unless they’ll do it for £20. Even then it would be too much faff.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I copied all the low res watermarked pics taken of me from a recent event. I just ordered one in high res for £7. Do I get a prize?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive just bought two pics from the Marshbrook event, the photographer chose his spots well and shot well so I’m happy with the HD product.
    Ive seen others he’s shot of me and not bought them as they didn’t leap off the page at me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Blow me my picture just arrived by email with some bonus pics.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I really think that modern DSLRs have killed off most of the professional photographer market as so many people now want to take photos rather than buy photos.

but those professionals were always vulnerable as the work they did was not far removed from that of the amateur, digital just speeded up the inevitable. there is a market for professional work, it just doesn’t deal with the public. 🙂

my advice to the O.P. is forget about making any money and just take pics that you like, there will be somebody just like you with a DSLR that will do it for free and take better images.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What kind of cycling photography would you pay for?’ is closed to new replies.