Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • What job would you do if you had the chance?
  • bones76
    Free Member

OK so i have known for a while now that my job is or has came to an end and am a little peeved it has came down to the fact that the company are now using foreign workers who work for minimum wage but hey ho such is life and it’s not the end of mine, in fact far from it as i intend to use this as a way forward in my working career which brings me to my post…

What job would you do if you had the chance?

You see i am 37 and far from over the hill but i have gone through life from one job to the next and worked all over the country doing a bit of this and a bit of that and can turn my hand to most things and have done and made some OK money but have also spent it!!!

But you see am getting older and things have changed in my life over the last year or so and i now have a steady GF and a 16 month old boy and i need to find something i really want to do as a job, i know people say there is nothing out there and they are more than likely right but you see i now have the opportunity to get trained up for something and do something for my Gf and child’s future..But like usual i just don’t know what?!

So i thought i would post and ask the million dollar question…What job would you do?!

Houns

Imagery intelligence officer in the RAF. I did have the chance, but sadly didn’t go through with it

bones76
    Free Member

I nearly joined the Army and is one of my regrets in life and i don’t have many..but a reckon a would have made a good solider and it would have sorted me out in a few ways too…

MSP

International man of mystery, posing as a formula 1 driver to travel the globe and bed supermodels.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Park warden

JEngledow
    Free Member

Gynecologist, Playboy or Whiskey Taster!! 🙄

scotroutes

Path surveyor. I’d go round the country, riding and walking paths and tracks and then write them up for a website.

Whoops – I already do that (for free!)

CountZero

Something like Houns, doing close examination of aerial photographs for archeological purposes, or park ranger…
    I had my perfect job, some years ago, scanning and retouching photos, but digital cameras and cheap desktop scanners, along with Photoshop Elements and suchlike being given away meant everyone was suddenly an expert!
    The results I saw in print said otherwise, sadly, but everyone wanted cheap.
    I don’t have the qualifications or experience for most of the jobs I’d like to do, unfortunately.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Rock star

project
    Free Member

Moderator, the man with the power to delete people quite painlessly from your life, and from the life of others.

Now if only i could be a moderator in a traffic queue or supermarket queue.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d be a proper engineer. Someone who designs and builds big-assed industrial process systems. I work with loads of guys who do this stuff and I piss them off by constantly asking them questions and then getting excited when they show me a drawing of a water pipe.

If I was going for a dream job though, I’d create art for a living. Actual, proper, art. Obviously I’d have to be able to create actual, proper art to do that though.

ononeorange

Like the op mine seems to be sputtering out and like count zero I am experienced / qualified for nothing else, so can’t add anything, I’m afraid. I would love to have been a park ranger too.

When i left school, my sixth form teacher’s last words to me were that I wasn’t fit to sweep the streets. I have never forgotten that but hopefully so far have proved him wrong. Still time though……

brakes
    Free Member

something that paid me to eat and ride by bike.

rickmeister

Helicopter winchman please…

psychobiker
    Free Member

Luthier, I have made a couple of guitars for my own enjoyment, but would absolutely love to turn a slight hobby to a career. But I don’t think my skills are yet enough for a career.

cobrakai

Air med pilot in the alps.

kimbers

archaeologist

not even Indiana Jones stuff (though thatd be cool) just time team style digging up bits of pottery

volunteered on a dig this summer really enjoyed it

Mackem

Wine and cheese tester.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I had my perfect job, some years ago, scanning and retouching photos, but digital cameras and cheap desktop scanners, along with Photoshop Elements and suchlike being given away meant everyone was suddenly an expert!

I have to ask what stopped you moving with the technology?
    . I know people who did film scanning and old school retouching who are now still doing retouching but with a Wacom and CS. If anything there is more retouching work out there because more post work gets done than back in the film days. Sure all the cut-outs are done overnight in India but even one man band retouchers are on £250-£500 a day here in the smoke. I pay assistant retouchers £250 just pathing and layering up stuff if I don’t have time to do it myself.
    Obviously you may be better off doing something more lucrative like playing with other peoples money or crystal meth dealing!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Paramedic, but seeing as I’m a 43 year old Type 1 diabetic, I don’t really see there’s much opportunity there for me.

When I was younger, I applied for and got accepted for the RAF as a pilot, but then got hay fever just before the medical and it was bye, bye. I did get a flying scholarship before that, so it wasn’t all bad. Life could have been so different….

benji
    Free Member

Frame builder, banged on about it for years, just need to put the money into kit to do it rather than my toolbox at work.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Boob inspector.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Hi bones, sorry to hear about the job, as you know I lost mine to the Chinese, so I know how you feel but knowing you, something will turn up. Given my time over again, I’d like to be a gunsmith, I watched one at work at the Royal Armouries and I think it’s the craftsmanship thing that most impressed me.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Wanted to be a Doctor since I was young or a pilot. I didn’t bother trying at school and only got three GCSE’s in science and English. Went to college did gnvq intermediate and then BTEC national diploma in Travel. Became a travel agent for 12 months. Then joined the Army did 5 years and was medically discharged with a heart defect and torn anterior cruciate knee ligament.

Worked as a trainee Scaffolder for my uncle and also a bar man in Manchester, then did my Nurse training. I enjoy the job, but I’m very envious of Consultants and would love toeither be a anethetist, General surgery Consultant or Orthopaedic.

I don’t however have the finances to go to med school but a more realistic goal would be a theatre nurse.

If I had my time again, I’d of knuckled down at school.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Director of photography for motion pictures, didn’t really know that film school existed when I was younger and ended up doing design/photography which I love doing but am really into the craft of film making.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Star pilot, laser ninja, exploration geologist (50 years ago), pastry/meat product human factors user interface consultant

jambourgie
    Free Member

Gigolo. Could be great or terrible depending on ones clients.

Does anyone know anyone who does this that could offer ‘career guidance’?

😀

mikertroid
    Free Member

When I was at school I had a careers interview where I dated my three preferences were:

Racing Driver
    Pro Windsurfer
    Pilot.

They told me to get out and stop wasting their time.

I’m doing one of the above and I’d only add Astronaut to the list now.

Drac

Paramedic, but seeing as I’m a 43 year old Type 1 diabetic, I don’t really see there’s much opportunity there for me.

The Type 1 stops you driving sadly but it’s turning so we’re being ‘chauffeured’ now by support workers, not sure that would eliminate the driving side altogether for Paramedics though but it’s reduced it.

samuri
    Free Member

Does anyone know anyone who does this that could offer ‘career guidance’?

There was a documentary on them a while back. Some were next to useless. One guy took some women out and he just sat there not knowing what to say to them. (I think he might have been a bit thick)

One guy who I thought was a bit greasy and nasty, was clearly a big hit with the ladies. Anyway, this chap had a whole bag full of dildos and would go and buy new ones on a regular basis. I gathered from that he spent most of his ‘date’, rubbing an electrical toy between the thighs of wealthy, middle aged women before teasing out a dry, souless orgasm from them, collecting his £200 and then leaving immediately to go and get his hair greased up.

northernmatt

National Park warden, ideally in either the Peak or Lakes. Would also accept Yorks Dales, North Yorks Moors or Cairngorm. Obviously it would come with fully expensed V8 Landy, cottage near a pub and about £250k a year ta very much.

ton

chef in my own restaurant.

noteeth
    Free Member

I work for the NHS, but occasionally I have weird urges to be a librarian.

therag
    Free Member

Took on my dream job this year knowing it was only temporary for six months. Loved every minute of it but it sucks having to go back to my original trade now.

timber

A mate of mine gets to blow stuff up, which I think is a pretty cool job.
    I would probably seem too keen at interview though and I rather enjoy mucking about in the woods as I do currently.

kiwijohn

Winemaker. Oh, wait…
    Beer maker then.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’m kind of in the same position as the OP in that life is changing with a kid on the way, similar age and a desire to have a career that I’m happy with rather than a job that I’m going to do for money but little enjoyment.

For me it’s Web design. I always wanted to be a graphic designer or car designer when I was at school, but after too much parental pressure I Blew it massively and bumped along through other jobs. Now I’m trying to take the bull by the horns and retrain (after a nightmare course fell on its arse) I just need to regain some confidence and I’ll be laughing

robdob
    Free Member

I work for the NHS, but occasionally I have weird urges to be a librarian.

I have a friend who works in a library and he loves it. He told me he had gone part time recently and I enquired further, with some concern as I hoped he hadn’t had his hours cut because of financial cuts. He reassured me that this wasn’t the case, he had gone part time as he had just got another part time job in a local successful micro brewery! Bonus!

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m doing the job I’ve always wanted to do and loving it, so I haven’t really thought about this much! I wouldn’t mind doing something that actually makes a difference like a doctor, scientist etc but I’m not clever or committed enough for that to work.

beefheart
    Free Member

something that paid me to eat and ride by bike.

You eat bikes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘What job would you do if you had the chance?’ is closed to new replies.