Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • What job for a teacher who's leaving teaching
  • freeagent
    Free Member

My wife changed jobs at Christmas, and moved from full time science teaching to 60/40 Science + SENCo (special education needs coordinator)
    Her long term plan is to get out of the classroom completely, as it is becoming a more and more thankless task, and she can’t imagine dealing with 30 teenage boys armed with Bunsen burners when she is heading toward (and beyond) 60.

If this doesn’t work out then she will leave teaching and work for one of the exam boards (EdExcel/etc)
    My brother was fairly senior in EdExcel before he died so we know a bit about the job.

Dr_Bakes

I taught for three years before stepping sideways last summer. I was spending so much time on my pupils at the expense of my own family and didn’t want to get to a point where I resented it and/or became a corner cutter (AKA shite teacher).

I’d had a career before and am using that to help me try to get into outdoor/environmental education. I’ve some freelance work to tide me over and a very understanding wife to support me while I do voluntary work in the sector. I’m also doing some pretty lucrative private tutoring to keep the bank manager from the door. There are lots of kids out there at this time looking for support ahead of their exams – especially where they lack quality teaching in their schools.

That article in the Guardian referred to to by BillMC sums it up for me. Schools are soon going to, if they’ve not already, hit crisis point. Stressed departments with a lack of support, due to overworked and inexperienced staff, will put off those entering the profession. Those that are left will become poorer practitioners and the pupils will suffer. All teachers I knew expressed their concerns at the work/life balance – most would leave if they could be confident of finding a suitably paid alternative. It is a sorry state of affairs. I’ve never seen so many jobs advertised at this time of the year. My old school is looking for a new HoD in English and Maths, as well as additional teachers, for next September.

beefheart
    Free Member

Cage fighting.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What job for a teacher who's leaving teaching’ is closed to new replies.