Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • what is your favoutite thing during a ride
  • jedi

flowing singletrack? landing a jump or drop? clearing a climb?
    mine’s flowing down trails 🙂

whats yours?

rOcKeTdOg

Meeting like minded people and playing with them in the woods

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Laughing at a mate who’s fallen off at low speed on a really lame corner / small log, etc 😈

ojom
    Free Member

Motorbike noises.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not riding into trees and failing……

*rubs sore shoulder*

cheese@4p

Unknown trails, preferably techy, downhill where you never know what is round the next bend but the adrenalin keeps building and you feel invincible.
    (then crash)

Bunnyhop

What rocketdog said. Also….

If I’ve finally cleaned a climb that I’ve never managed before, or descending something tricky that used to scare me is the best feeling.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me its the completeness. You need a series of elements to make a good ride and its when it all comes together that its great. A nice bit of trail, ridden well, in good company, with some good views as you take a break.

lexiekay
    Free Member

The feeling you sometimes get when everything goes right! I like flowy singletrack that points down. And rocky technical stuff 🙂

Marmoset
    Free Member

Like the OP, just finding the flow of the trail ….

vinnyeh

The bit where you realise that your legs and body have finally warmed up and you can start cracking on.

Oh, and dawn breaking on a fine morning.

Trimix
    Free Member

The knackered feeling at the end of a great ride.

Also those rides you do when the weather is shite and you know all the fatties are either in bed or watching telly while your out haveing great fun.

Riding outside my comfort zone just once or twice.

The fun of almost saving a crash, the ones where you hang on and hang on for ages till you loose it.

nickf
    Free Member

When you get a beautiful view, having broken out of a long climb through the trees.

Blue skies, crisp air, moo-cows in the field sort of stuff.

hora
    Free Member

The feeling of almost flying like superman, gliding along, out there in the woods.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I’m with TJ – it’s the completeness – Friends, solo. Fight, day. Racing, bumbling. Cake, gel. Coffee, tea. Whiskey, beer. The technicality, the simplicity. Big Sky rides, wood rides. Road, off road.

it’s a little bit of everything that’s good.

votchy
    Free Member

The inane giggle when things go pear shaped but you somehow stay on the bike and the adrenaline surge takes over.
    Also, as TJ says, a bit of everything really does make a great ride.

megastream
    Free Member

mines getting to the top of an insanely steep climb

thomthumb
    Free Member

definitely flow.

when it works you feel like a cross between some kind of Zen monk on a bike and a super powered cycling cyborg. the whole world disappears and only you the bike and the trail remain.

Stoner
    Free Member

mines getting to the top of an insanely steep climb

freak.

Mines super flowey singletrack followed by a quality beer in watery evening sunshine with a view. I love the Malverns 😉

ton

good crack with new and and old faces, on new and old tracks

DezB
    Free Member

Same as Votchy – the rush from an ‘almost-crash’.

llama

achieving a state of flow

which does not require flowing singletrack, uphill or down, and you can even get it on a road bike

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Mine would be “flow” too – don’t care if its man made or not just enjoy something feeling smooth, effortless and grin inducing – hanging on to the edge of traction, peeling round a corner and into the next, over obstacles and onward.

The people are really important but the feeling of nailing something and not having to stop is oh so good!

yunki
    Free Member

flow here too… when my body and mind have been sufficiently infused with enough oxygen.. adrenaline.. confidence.. power and endorphins so that I am completely within the ride.. for some reason.. say one in thirty rides this doesn’t happen and the whole ride from start to finish is hard work..

farmer-giles
    Free Member

dito what votchy says; plus finding that magical “happy gear” that lets you fly up any hill without feeling any pain or discomfort!
    plus laughing at mates when they go a pissballer 😆

titusrider
    Free Member

Cleaning a climb everyone thinks is impossible, such sattisfaction 🙂

ploughing through rock gardens at high speed

properly railing a corner

moto whiping the back wheel out every time i get even slightly airbourne

Views, countryside, wildlife etc

PJM1974
    Free Member

Flowing singletrack +1, but also the feeling that I’m reenacting the speeder bike scene in Return of the Jedi when pedalling flat out through the woods…

…something you never grow out of.

Thankfully, there’s no Ewoks on my local woods.

Diane
    Free Member

So hard to chose one thing but i do enjoy nailing something techy that i’ve not done before – even if it’s only a little thing

scruzer
    Free Member

Dry dusty singletrack up, along, or down under blue sky with the sun on my back while darting a forest with that fresh pine smell. Oh preferably amongst big snowcaped mountains. The pine smell is a favourite though…

momo

Riding something that’s always scared me a bit, and it all comes together for the perfect run is the best feeling ever.

bigyinn
    Free Member

pjm1974 – Member

Flowing singletrack +1, but also the feeling that I’m reenacting the speeder bike scene in Return of the Jedi when pedalling flat out through the woods…
    We actually have ome single track through some woods that has been nicknames “jedi’s” for exactly that reason!!!
    Finding a previously unridden bit of trail that turns out to be a peach.
    Finding a normally busy path empty and being able to really hammer it.
    Stopping at the top of a big f*ck off climb hardly able to breathe, looking down below in baking summer sunshine, sweat dripping off you, thinking YEEEAAAAHHH! and then going back down at warp speed.

GW
    Free Member

no brakes sliding always brings the biggest grins for me 😀

but even a short blast to the shop for milk makes me happy

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“the whole world disappears and only you the bike and the trail remain.”

Then the bike disappears and there is just you and the trail
    The you disappear and there is just the moving trail
    Then there is just movement

I particularly get a thrill from overcooking the way into a corner but somehow hanging on and zooming out. I also like the feeling of skipping fast over a rough section. Smoothly cleaning a techy bit without a dab or stoppage is satisfying. Getting up a climb in one push for the first time is also very satisfying.

What most disappoints me is my fear of air-time.

Milkie
    Free Member

what is your favoutite thing during a ride

Doing something better than I expected, such as jumping, pumping, nailing a berm (imo) or hitting a rock garden fast and not coming off.

I like to push my limits which are pretty limited!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Sunsets and finding that perfect speed where everything feels mellow and easy.

theotherjonv

Too many to list, but as we approach the season for it – (approach, who am I kidding!)

Night rides with a decent sized club group. Doing one of the twisty Swinley singletracks and looking back up to where you just came from to see the lights of the rest of the group snaking down through the trees.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Another one for finding that riding rhythm and flowing smoothly down the trail. Riding a new trail for the first time too – reminds me of the excitment I felt when I started mtbing.

nockmeister
    Free Member

The inane giggle when things go pear shaped but you somehow stay on the bike and the adrenaline surge takes over

true true…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Fixing punctures, slowly followed by adjusting my seatpost. Oilng my chain comes third.

chakaping
    Free Member

When I stop thinking about it and it just happens.

Not on every ride, but nice when it does happen. Especially if on fast, technical trails.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘what is your favoutite thing during a ride’ is closed to new replies.