Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • What is your faviourite biscuit?
  • Xylene
    Free Member
    almightydutch
    Free Member

Singular favourite is too hard.

Not in any order:

Chocolate Kimberley
    Milk Chocolate Hobnob
    Jammy Dodger
    The Chocolate ginger biscuit thing in Cadburys tins

sandwicheater

It changes daily.

Bourbon
    Rich tea
    Anything free

piemann
    Free Member

After nearly 40 years of investigating this very topic, the king of biscuits is most definitely the humble chocolate hobnob.

yunki
    Free Member

Hobnob obvs…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Anything free

This. Apart from Rich Tea, they are the celery of the biscuit world.

Garrybaldy?

ton

Junkyard
    Free Member

Vegan – Bourbon

When not a vegan [ the past] – Tunnocks

breadcrumb

Chocolate coated would be KitKat.

Regular biscuit would be Aldis Oaties. We had a blind taste test at work and find them better than Hobnobs and Sainsbury’s versions too.

I am very found of a bourbon too.

kayla1
    Free Member

I like a good plain choccy digestive. Lidl’s own brand are nice.

lunge

I have 2 in joint top position.
    Chocolate hobnob, a classic.
    Aldi Specially Selected chocolate chip cookies. Filth, just plain filth.

yunki
    Free Member

The answer is hobnob.. Anyone saying different is lying or deluded

Mister-P
    Free Member

I didn’t know Bourbons were vegan. That means they must be healthy, right?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Absolutely – must be at least one of your 5 a day per three biscuits eaten I reckon

EDIT: Just checked you need to eat 4 to make sure it counts 😉

dknwhy

We had this discussion at work recently and all agreed that it’s the milk chocolate hobnob – the Royal Marine of the biscuit world (operates in and out of tea).

alanf
    Free Member

Whatever is in the biscuit box is full of win.
    An empty biscuit box is full of no biscuits = lose.

woodster

Viennee sandwhich obviously.

Milk-choc Hobnobs may be the most overrated biscuit ever to have existed.

AlexSimon

Whenever I go to France, I come back with a few packets of these:
    Energy bar of champions. Although after a few packets while snowboarding, you can feel a little sick 🙂

I am quite partial to Co-Op stem Ginger cookies too.

I’m not allowed a biscuit tin – I have no self-control.

z1ppy

See Milk choc hobnobs are ace but after too many quite a few, they rip the top of your mouth to pieces.

I am a big fan of McVities milk choc & basically the majority of biscuits going.

Houns

Not a fan of hob nobs. Peter Kay said it was the para of the biscuit world. He’d obviously never had a shortbread finger, they are the SAS/SBS of the biscuit world. Proper hard and can survive in tea conditions for hours.

My fave has to be caramel choc digestive or the choccie bourbon

If we are talking about individually wrapped ‘biscuits’ then Tunnocks wafer or a TRIO

digga
    Free Member

If I’m buying, Jammy Dodgers, although some (very kind, dear, generous) friends bought us some Fortnum & Mason heather honey biscuits for Christmas and they tasted and smelled utterly divine.

tonyd

Custard Cream or shortbread

markshires
    Free Member

Another vote for chocolate hob nobs here. Although after getting a tin of fox’s biscuits for Christmas the crunch creams are pretty close!

maccruiskeen

Dundee Biscuits

As big as your face when you were a kid, with ‘Dundee’ embossed on them in a rugby ball shape, and made, as the name suggests… in Northwich.

Sold in a celephane wrapped stack of about half a dozen so the pack was the size and shape of a cake

Xylene
    Free Member

Eating the edge of an orange chocolate club used to be fantastic.

Rocky robin to feel sick after 2 of them

Taxonomy of biscuits

Cakes
    Usually easily distinguished from biscuits by their sheer size however individual cakes can be a bit tricker, for instance the macaroon. Also the Jaffa Cake despite having the word cake in its name can confuse some people.

Crackers
    Crackers are aimed at savory use such as cheese and crackers, however you sometimes get those hovis sweetmeal digestives, I don’t know why, in big boxes of crackers, which is obviously confusing. Generally you wouldn’t want to dunk one in your tea.

Chocolate covered
    Half way between biscuits and chocolate bars, are the chocolate covered biscuits. A bit of a grey area but this is where we encounter individual foil wraps, and strange quasi cake, biscuit hybrids like the Waggon Wheel. Also the home of the Jacobs Club biscuit, although this is a sad shadow of its former self thanks to the French again.

Chocolate Bars
    The Kit Kat is a good example of the transitional phase from chocolate covered to full chocolate bars like the picnic.

How to spot biscuits

They come in packets
    They have two sides
    You could dunk them in tea
    Entry level
    They come in clear cellophane wrappers
    They aren’t so nice that you could eat a whole packet
    They are homogeneous
    Mid range
    Anything with a currant, or some sort of fruit in it
    Twin layer affair with some sort of cream up the middle
    Wrapper has pictures on it.
    Some sort of USP
    Luxury
    Any thing with chocolate on top.
    May be in a cardboard box

FAQ

Q. Are Jaffa cakes biscuits.

A. No, no the’re not. Apart from being called cakes they obviously have a sponge base. Granted they appear to be some kind of luxury biscuit being chocolate covered and shipping in a box.

Q. Why are ‘Nice’ biscuits called that?

A. I don’t know because they are possibly one of the nastiest biscuits ever, perhaps its sarcasm. Also if you are new to this site and are about to email me saying “Actually its because they are named after the town in the south of France” don’t. They’re not from there, nobody there has ever heard of them. Hop on an Easyjet flight get yourself down there and ask around, you’ll get even blanker Gallic looks than usual. Back when they were invented Huntley and Palmer were knocking out over 450 sorts of biscuits, so naming new sorts of biscuits was probably a matter of just going through the phone book or index in the atlas. Anyhow I don’t like them.

Q. Whats the best biscuit ever?

A. Well I would have to say the Abbey Crunch, see my page on this ground breaking oat based biscuit.

Q. Can something that is individually wrapped be biscuit.

A. Its pushing it isn’t it.

Q. Whats the story with pink wafers?

A. Well they have dropped out of fashion, and rightly so as they are unpleasant at best. Wafers in general have had to move up into chocolate covered jobs like the Tunnocks wafer, or chocolate bars like the Kit Ka

digga
    Free Member

Quirrel – Member
    Q. Are Jaffa cakes biscuits.

A. No, no the’re not. Apart from being called cakes they obviously have a sponge base. Granted they appear to be some kind of luxury biscuit being chocolate covered and shipping in a box.And yet you can keep them in a biscuit tin and dunk them like a digestive. Curiouser and curiouser.

MoreCashThanDash

Agree that Aldi Oaties beat the HobNob. They don’t seem to do a chocolate coated Oatie though.

Tunnocks Caramel Wafers if you want them individually wrapped.

Though I must confess I have done my duty, indeed, probably exceeds expectations, in helping my colleagues demolish the mountain of Jaffa Cakes someone brought in to the office yesterday. 8)

D0NK

Rich tea

get. out.
    I really have no idea why rich tea still exist, they are a god awful biscuit. Surely they were one of the first evolutionary steps to get to the modern biscuit, should be assigned to history books.

Chocolate digestives are good (and addictive) I don’t buy them but mrs does, usually with detrimental consequences for my calorific intake, very moreish. Foxes cream crunch are nice but I’ve never tried eating a load – possibly too sickly, hobnobs are a good shout for a plain bicuit. Custard creams bourbons and malted milk featured heavily in my childhood so not a fan now.

jekkyl

partial to a bit of shortbread myself. Dunked in coffee.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

In no particular order;

Bourbons
    Jammy dodgers
    Caramel and chocolate digestives
    Hobnobs

How hasn’t anyone mentioned partyrings? Delicious if a little unpredictable for dunking. Crunchy one second, soggy at the bottom of the mug the next.

There’s no way Tunnocks fall into a proper “biscuit” category; delicious though they are. If we’re going to broaden our definition so widely, I give you…………..

mint Clubs. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

z1ppy

Rich tea

get. out.
    I really have no idea why rich tea still exist, they are a god awful biscuit

+1 g/f keep suggesting this but has in 10 odd years, never bought a packet & happily eat my biscuit selection (lidl fancy ones are my current “go to” biscuit) & no I will not be buying any for her!

oliverracing

Swiss Brunsli Biscuits – nutty chocolate almost yummyness, the attached recipe is the closest I can find online, but grandmas recipe is still the best! (ground almonds instead of whole and a tablespoon of kirsch!)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Disco.

slowoldman

I really have no idea why rich tea still exist, they are a god awful biscuit

Agreed. They taste no better than the packet they came in.

Now for taste:
    McVitie’s Plain Chocolate Digestive
    McVitie’s Ginger Nuts
    and now and then
    Fig Rolls

mildred

Plain chocolate hob nob. There is no contest.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fox’s butter crunch. Bit of a danger-dunk but delicious.

breadcrumb

I do enjoy an Aldi Digger biscuit too, bite off opposite corners and suck the brew through the biscuit and consume, also works with KitKats.

bones
    Free Member

1. Fox’s Classic
    2. McVitie’s dark choc hobnob
    3. McVitie’s dark choc digestive

Fox’s make both the best biscuit base and chocolate.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Fig roll or McVites Ginger nut for me.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I’m addicted to rich tea biscuits. I’ve been known to ‘drink’ a Stanley flask purely by dunking!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What is your faviourite biscuit?’ is closed to new replies.