Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • what is your dream bike that you would keep forever??
  • Edric64
    Free Member

I would like a custom steel fast tourer built by winter bicycles in the states .I`m not really bothered about my mtb as they all get abused off road I would never spend loads on one like I would a road bike because of the way they get used

flange
    Free Member

My storck is i suppose my ‘dream’ bike. Likewise my niner for mtb. They’ve got pretty much the best I could afford and I’m not sure how they could be improved (IMO)

I do majorly hanker after an original ball-burnished gt lts or even an lts dh. Now THAT was a dream bike..

_tom_
    Free Member

I reckon I’ll probably keep my Blender till it dies now. It’s my second one, still regret selling my Pikes as they were perfect for it on the old one.

tang
    Free Member

My next frame. Custom stainless 29r ht.

ditchvisitor
    Free Member

Renton, the top tube and downtube have a helix twist!

oliverracing

Dream bike that I’ll keep forever – not sure that exists, but I know I’ll keep my retro scott summit frame, as was my first bike that I built myself – I will also keep my homemade carbon frame forever, as that was my first homemade frame, I predict I will also never sell my homemade full sus that is in the process of being built (shameless blog plug No.2 of the night 🙄 ) – but I won’t know until I ride it if I like it or not.

I suppose these frames all have practically no value so that helps me justify sentimental value over resale value.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I keep buying my dream bikes and each year a new one comes out!

Think top of the tree now that I don’t have would be a Klein Adroit with a Strata fork in Nightstorm or Gatorfade.

argee

Merlin Oreas, unfortunately first one was stolen a few years back, so bought another one and built it identical to the previous. Hopefully this one doesn’t break or get nicked, as i haven’t seen one come up for sale in a long time!

philfive
    Free Member

Mine is on it’s way

Scapegoat

I reckon my Soul is a keeper. My dream bike for when I retire in a few years time was a Mojo. Then I got a lucky break on a used frame. Right now, that means I have two dream bikes that will probably do me for now. I’m on limited time cos my hips will need replacing in a few years, so the plan is to make the most of them while I still can. Of course, I can keep upgrading bits and pieces, but for the time being I have bikes that will do all i’m capable of.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plenty of dream bikes, none will last forever.

kiwijohn

I couldn’t imagine owning a better bike than my SB66 (that I could afford) for a long time yet.
    It’s limits are a lot higher than my own, which have been raised a fair bit since I bought it 2 years ago.

adrian64
    Free Member

I’ve got mine now I think I had to wait 9months for my 2009 Foes FXR with Curnutt coil over. I’ ve thought about selling it a few times because its not been used for a while, but every time i do ride it, well I just can’t bring myself to sell it, so it must be the one I wont sell.

brack
    Free Member

1996 kona explosif

sputnik
    Free Member

I’ve had Giants, GTs, a Cannondale,and two Yetis.
    All I have left and will be with me forever is a ’96 Orange P7.

I could quite easily spec a few £5k+ bikes that I’d really like, but I doubt any of them would be forever.

Recently upgraded my 2008 S-Works Enduro, rather than sell it and glad I did, as it seems absolutely spot on now – but it’s time will come.

The bike that has most chance of lasting a lifetime is my ’97 Lava Dome – I’ve never really felt it was ‘spot on’ and is pretty much a pub/gym/shop bike with the odd off road ride thrown in now. Can’t see any reason why I’d ever sell it though.

damascus
    Free Member

I have a carbon fibre kestrel 26er hard tail. Bought it 2nd hand in 1992 ish. Its too small, has a crack in it and I’ve not ridden it for years but I doubt I’d ever sell it. Its where it all began. .

As for a bike I ride I think half the fun is buying something new and treating yourself once in a while.

haggis1978

image by Stew1978, on Flickr

This bad boy here aint goin nowhere

mactheknife

Funnily enough renton, you are trying to sell what I would consider one of my dream bikes. I am pretty sure that you don’t know exactly how good it i yet. That 5 spot of yours can do nearly everything so bloody well. Im not sure that the replacement will do whatever you want any better.

JCL
    Free Member

The only bike I’d keep long term would be a road bike with discs. If I could custom size/geo a carbon 120mm FS 29″ I might keep that for a few years.

xcretro
    Free Member

As with others I think ive too found/got my dream bike. Its a 2009 trek top fuel 9.9 SSL. built recently to include dt swiss xrc 1250 carbon wheels with ceramic bearings. pretty much full xtr with rock shox reba world cup carbon forks. most other bits are carbon too :0)

I have seem to fly up AND down the hills on this bike, I doubt my fitness level improved in one week from old bike to this (old bie was no slouch though, a trek 9.8 elite carbon hardtail)

when I sit with a cuppa after cleaning it and I look over the bike I think how and what would I upgrade, and there is very little or nothing I would upgrade or change on the bike – This is think is the sign that I have found my dream bike. :0)

Candodavid
    Free Member

I have a Curtis xc9 that’s going nowhere, it’s the first one made, tested by Steve Worland in last issue.
    2 souls QH I have is also a keeper, and as for everything else I have, my sons getting to a height where he’s gonna be “borrowing” them soon

avdave2

A nice custom rigid 29er, disc only, singlespeedable, lots of clearance, lots of mounts, lightweight and springy,

Something very like that with a Rohloff and the option to run a belt drive – a Shand perhaps.

I had a custom frame built by Roberts in 1988 and although it’s years since I used it I’ll have the frame forever – It’s just a very nice thing to look at.

stevied
    Free Member

My current bike isn’t going anywhere as it’s the bike I’ve built to my spec for my kind of riding. I may add to the fleet (when I can afford it) but, for me, the Intense 6.6 is everything I need.
    The frame will be going on the garage wall if I do stop riding it.
    So will this one when the little ones have finished with it (as I made it):

everyone
    Free Member

Think I’ve already got her. Built this up with some of the inheritance my Gran left me after my old 456 got nicked by some unsavoury types. The only things I can see myself upgrading is stuff to increase the bling factor.

Meet Ruth the Ritchey!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like new stuff too much to keep a bike forever. A couple of years is a lifetime in my bike history.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Mactheknife…. You are probably right mate!

Adrian64 has hit the nail on the head with me… I always think about selling the 5 spot due to lack of use but every time I ride it it leaves me smiling.

I guess I could keep the spot and build a hardtail!

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) Genesis Equilibrium.

2) it’s early days, but my Salsa Horsethief is astonishing.

njee20
    Free Member

I like new stuff too much to keep a bike forever. A couple of years is a lifetime in my bike history.

This. Particularly with MTBs, where stuff moves on. I don’t care how nice it was I wouldn’t want to be riding a 20 year old MTB now, and not really a fan of owning bikes ‘just because’.

cynic-al
    Free Member

renton I just thought the question was a bit naive for someone who’s been riding a long time. It is an extremely personal and subjective choice, and while pretty much everyone loves the bike they’ve most recently bought the most, I wonder how long these bikes re being kept.

IMO the wisest suggestions are the nostaligic or traditional ones – any flashy new bike will soon be outdated.

I gave up on bike for life, even briefly owning a steel Ibis and then a lovely Ritchey for a few years, although there are a couple I’ve had for nearly 10 years that for me are as good as they need to be and new have a lot of memories attached (custom steel hardtail and 03 Heckler). But these reasons are so personal I wouldnt expect anyone else to get them.

1-shed
    Free Member

maximusmountain your bike is wonderful.

shermer75
    Free Member

maximusmountain your bike is wonderful.

Yep, that paintwork is awesome!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I think so to, hence I am never going to get rid of it!

_tom_
    Free Member

And now this thread’s making me feel even more gutted that I sold my Bullit w/Boxxers. Yea the Voltage that replaced it was “better” re more modern geometry (lower/slacker) but I loved that Bullit as it was my first fs and the bike I took out to Whistler with me for the best summer of my life! At least I sold it to someone I know rather than a randomer on the internet, but I doubt they’ll sell it back to me 🙁

misinformer
    Free Member

keep a bike for life? its a bike you sad ****

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

My next Bike is going to be the Bike I keep

how can you know that your dream bike will live up to your expectations? My dream bike was a Nomad, in white, having first seen one in Les Gets when they first came out. Most disappointing bike Ive owned, and kept for less time than any other frame I’ve had.

Current object-of-desire is an Ibis Mojo HD, again in white, but I havent ridden one and could hate it.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Mine will be a custom titanium 29er frame, with a few bespoke feature for bike packing, swapouts, and all good for anything from riding rigid up to 120mm forks…

…and a Stanton Switchback. With lots of XTR bling.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My Jones.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘what is your dream bike that you would keep forever??’ is closed to new replies.