Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What is your definition of a light frame?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

I've just stripped down a 20" Norco Charger frame and in it's birthday suit it's a pube over 4pounds. Is that good? I'm gonna weigh it again after it's come back from the coaters. I reckon it'll be more like 4.5 once it's not 'au natruale'.

Dunno, but my (large) carbon Enduro is around 5.5lbs iirc.

trickydisco
    Free Member

i've got a voodoo sobo scandium frame that is 2.75lbs.. then again i'm told it's like a coke can 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

It depends what sort of frame it is. Race light hardtail <2.5lbs, race full sus <4.5lbs. No idea on bikes which are designed for burlier stuff (but then I've never really understood why getting such a bike as light as possible is so important, given I can ride most stuff on my superlight race bike).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

alu hardtail <1500g

carbon hardtail <1000g

Over that its dependant on hats its used for, the 456 and atomplab GI weren't/isn't heavy for the type of riding they're aimed at. But would make a weight weenie wince (although the atomlabs are bloomin light!)

druidh
    Free Member

My Ti hardtail is 1.6Kg, but then it also has rack mounts and so on so can hardly be called "race"

maxray
    Free Member

I think my maxlight is around 1600g .

ahwiles
    Free Member

my 3kilo (6.5lb) full-bounce xc frame isn't heavy enough.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I always wanted a Coyote HT3 frame, which IIRC was 3.6lb. That felt light but solid in the shop, and looked nice.

epicyclo

I reckon about 3.5lb hits the sweet spot.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The lightest frames I've had were both Dave Hinde M3's which are something like 3lbs, with my Zion next up at 3.5lbs (it also has rack mounts).

The M3's do appear to be made of out of coke cans though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What is your definition of a light frame?’ is closed to new replies.