Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • What is your central heating thermostat set at?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

We have ours on 19.

Drac

Don’t have one, our central heating broke last year and had no need for it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t have the temp but the dial is on minimum.

mudsux
    Free Member

19 and its located in the drafty hallway which means its on a lot.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

N-N-N-N-N…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LdMAqUMnM[/video]

Sorry. 😳

GW
    Free Member

off. it’s sunny here.

sobriety
    Free Member

10, I’m a skinflint

iainc

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I keep mine between 15 and 18 depending.

Last year i kept the heating on the whole of Dec and Jan but adjusted the temp with thermostat.

Ended up being cheaper than just letting the heating come on twice a day.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

So your ‘stat is set at that temp what actual temp is it maintaining.

My ‘stat is set at 15 deg .. means actual average house temp (i.e. it clicks on/off) between 18/19 deg

If you don’t already, I really encourage you to experiment with real thermometers, you may actually be able to turn your stat down .. try maintaining 20 in living areas and 18 in cooking/sleeping areas. Less if your well’ard

Junkyard
    Free Member

Off for I own jumpers.
    If it gets sub zero outside later on in the year I may switch it on and maintain 10 inside [ if I am in the house]

oldgit
    Free Member

20 for 1/2 hour in the morning. We’re south facing with lots of glass frontage. That and five teenagers keep the place warm.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Think ours is set to 11, don’t you love being a student?
    last winter there were many debates saying it’d be better to set it at 15/16 or something than have heating on for an hour at 20, especially when I was frequently waking up to ice on the inside of my window – one morning not just a little bit – the window was covered in a sheet of ice. I expect this year we’ll have it on even less seen as the bills have been so much 🙁 *buys more jumpers*

paulosoxo
    Free Member

SBrock
    Free Member

After talking to various people, seems this winter I’m gonna keep the heating on all the time at about 18/19 then when we go to bed at 16′ apparently my mate said he used less gas doing as there was less heating to do from cold, as from cold the boiler is working overtime for an hour or 2

IanMunro
    Free Member

Feefoo, the manliness of you post has given me a semi.
    Tell me you look as good as Brad Pitt too!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Off

Junkyard
    Free Member

As you would be in shorts he would probably sneak a peak

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I’d love to turn mine down, I don’t like the bills (does anybody), but while I can still afford to, will be comfortable thanks.

I don’t feel chilly in the living room watching telly of an evening until it drops to 16 deg actual temp (assuming long sleeve base layer, standard Cotton T and winter weight cotton hoody/merino jumper), but unfortunately my Missus starts complaining at 19 deg wearing similar but with the addition of a quilted blanket, so although not exactly wondering around in T’s, we have a ‘happy medium’ of maintaining 18 deg.

Any of those out there set at 10deg do so for reasons other than poverty? i.e. you have supplemental heating, you don’t mind wearing 5 layers. Surely most people would feel more than chilly wearing 3 layers when they’re tired, sitting in front of telly and its 10pm and only 10-11 deg internally at night? what are your top tips?

iDave
    Free Member

I don’t have the heating on unless my hands get cold. My house is really well insulated and I wear clothes.

IanMunro
    Free Member

By coincidence I’m indecently short shorts at the moment (painting the ceiling which always make me hot). I don’t have central heating but if I did it would be set to ultra cool.

trail_rat
    Free Member

We havnt turned the heating on for winter yet . Just the odd chilly windy night – rattly drafty case and sash windows

When it comes to winter time ill stick it on at at 16 in the morning for getting up as we have a wood burner for the nights.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Feefoo, the manliness of you post has given me a semi.
    Tell me you look as good as Brad Pitt too!

Better believe it! The heat shimmer in the living room helps disguise any imperfections.
    Permanent soft-focus.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Any of those out there set at 10deg … what are your top tips?

thermals if really cold but mainly MTFU.
    Its cold and you do notice it but it is not so cold you will die and you get used to it.
    Big duvet – some like electric blankets but I like the sensation of getting into a freezing cold bed – no idea why i accept most will not.
    after a shower is the worst time tbh so i tend to do this after a ride when I am quote warm anyway.
    Winter is cold embrace this fact and just carry on.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Mentalist.

joolsburger
    Free Member

16 If i’m cold I stick on a jumper.

Karinofnine

It broke and I haven’t got around to fixing it. I wear more clothes and, as above, try to embrace the seasons. I prefer to experience seasons rather than homogenise my life. I do use heating to prevent outright discomfort, to whit, a bit of arthritis and crash damage which hurts when it’s cold. It’s also kind of for environmental reasons, even though I know it’s pointless in view of what eg the Chinese and Indians are doing.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I work in sleep medicine and generally we recommend a bedroom temperature of 18 degrees celcius. During REM sleep you lose muscle tone and temperatures too high or too low will cause arousals leading to a disturbed night.

Lifer
    Free Member

Shared house and I’m the low temperature one unfortunately, bloody horrible when it’s hot and stuffy inside!

My bedroom window is open all year round when I’m in the room, love the fresh air. Duvet (same one as summer I know some people change theirs) and add a blanket when it gets cold – just head poking out though. Have my showers colder than everyone else too. *shrugs*

Went though a period of washing in cold (sharp intake of breath cold) water a few years ago. My skin was awesome.

derekrides
    Free Member

No need for heating in the Sunny South East Yet. 19 degrees tomorrow – again.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ours is set to 22 (I set it to 18-19 but Mrs Ming puts it back up again). Oh and I’ve been told our wood burner apparently requires testing tonight so the house will be at 30C pretty soon.

Drac

too high or too low will cause arousals leading to a disturbed night.

Giggidy!

epicyclo

Set on North Queensland 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

we have a Danfoss programmable one so it’s 15 when we’e out or at night.

18 at other times and a boost at morning of 20 to warm the house up ready for another day of fun and banter.

totalshell

14 – 16 during daylight occupancy i let the mrs sneak it up to 18 when were watching the telly off at night

Gribs

16 and the heating on a timer for 3 hours a day. It’s turned down to low if I’m not going to be in. I don’t tend to feel the cold but if I do I’ll just add a layer (or have a whisky)

Houns

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPtF2-YY0u0[/video]

souldrummer
    Free Member

Mines not on yet but the thermostat is set on 13. Much more than that and the house is too hot imo. I prefer to wear sweatshirts and jumpers than turn the heating up; partially ‘cos I’m tight, but also because I grew up in a house without central heating, and I just got used to doing this in winter.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ours is still off. Next doors however must be up high 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

Your all wusses, mine is set at 6 and I am sat here in shorts sweating from the heat of the wood burner!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What is your central heating thermostat set at?’ is closed to new replies.