Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What is wrong with this light – Hope R4
  • peachos
    Free Member

Was out riding last week and took a half full charged battery. Immediately after switching the lamp on I went to flick into a lower power mode to prolong the life, but it went into a flash mode and would not change. I had to disconnect the battery pack and then reconnect to reset it, but it did exactly the same thing. If I left it, the light automatically changed into a lower power mode, so I could at least carry on riding and the battery lasted until the end of the ride like this.

Because I knew the battery wasn’t fully charged I thought this was the reason, although I was a bit confused as to why it went into its flashy lockdown.

Since then, I have fully charged the battery pack and just now I have taken the lamp to test it is working and it is doing exactly the same thing. I have a few batteries for this lamp available and it is doing the same thing with each. The battery indicator on the charger is telling me the batteries are all fully charged.

I’m totally confused and suppose a call to Hope is in order, just wondered whether anyone had any ideas or has come across this?

Cheers.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the charger is knackered, (mine was from brand new) indicator on charger lights up green but the battery is still flat. The light goes into that mode when the battery is flat.
    Do you know anyone with the same light that you could borrow a charger? or alternatively measure the battery with a voltmeter, a fully charged one should be 8.4V.

29ers
    Free Member

On my hope vision 4 I always have to wiggle the charging cable connection about until the charger light glows brighter – its highly temperamental.

Mugboo

Every R4 seems to have problems with the chargers cable. Try wiggling it to get a red light or just send it back.

Simon

I have to wiggle my connector to get the charger light to go red, it’s always been like that but it’s worse since the battery had a new cable fitted 😕

BigJohn

My Lumicycle light can take either Li-ion or NiMh batteries but needs to be set for the expected voltage. Hold switch down or up on connection. Maybe Hopes have a similar circuit and yours is set for a higher voltage.

danielgroves
    Free Member

On my hope vision 4 I always have to wiggle the charging cable connection about until the charger light glows brighter – its highly temperamental.

I have to do this on my Vision 2 as well. I’ve actually talked to Hope about this having had two new chargers from them to try and remedy it, and having sent everything back to them twice as well. They seem to think it doesn’t happen.

dai21t
    Free Member

I cut the plug off the charger cable and replaced it with the one on the extension lead that came with the light. Now charges correctly. The lights are great quality, the charger is crap!

mendippete
    Free Member

My R4 light did this. Send it back to hope as its a faulty switch .

peachos
    Free Member

cheers people. I think mendippete might be right as I have a couple of chargers so both can’t be faulty. I’ll get in touch with hope and send the lot back I think.

Stranga
    Free Member

Had a similar thing happen with my 4yr Hope LED2 and I just downloaded the returns form off their website and sent it back to them for repair……….2 days later I received it back repaired FOC, new circuit fitted I think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What is wrong with this light – Hope R4’ is closed to new replies.