Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What is wrong with my rear wheel hub?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

I don’t know how to explain this properly but here it is…… When i back pedal..the cassette does’t freewheel as it used to be..there seem to be a bit of resistance that the chain goes wonky (?) ..and sometimes when i back pedal to adjust my footing say there is some obstacle ahead ..there seems to be a space when i engage pedalling again. 🙁

Wheel is mavic crossrides 2013 9mm qr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your freehub/wheel is getting sticky, depending on the type it needs serviced/new bearings/replaced.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks its a 12×142

wolfenstein
    Free Member

How can i remove this “thingy”? I cant seem to find how to remove this in the manual in tech-mavic?

tthew

This is going to sound harsh, but if you can’t diagnose a simple free-hub problem and futher can’t see how to dismantle it, you’re probably better off taking it to your LBS to do it.

Perhaps ask them if you can watch or get them to show you for next time.

andytherocketeer

Sounds like (or similar to) a classic Mavic freehub seal issue. Well known, well reported on several forums, for Crossrides and the Road hubs too.

Those pics look different to my old Crossrides, though.

On mine, it’s an allen key to remove the axle and freehub, and the classic yellow PTFE friction seal in there is the culprit.

It’s not just backpedalling that’s the issue, but also freewheeling… eventually you hear a “squeeking” noise, and the chain goes slack, because the cassette tries to keep turning. I’ve had to pedal permanently to get home.

Plenty of youtube vids etc. before when I looked. Aksium etc. road hubs were identical to crossrides.

I have a bent axle on mine though too, which makes it uneconomical to fix.

simon1975

Sticking jockey wheels can also result in the OP’s symptoms

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I can do cups and cones shimano hubs ..just cant get my head around in this.. Videos in mavic tech shows the allen key to remove the exle freehub..but this hub seems to be different.. Jockey wheels is ok. @andyrocketer ..exactly the same symptoms you pointed out ,.no bent axle though.

chief1409
    Free Member

Sticking jockey wheels can also result in the OP’s symptoms

And bent derailleur…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What is wrong with my rear wheel hub?’ is closed to new replies.