Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What is wrong with my car? please help!!
  • organic355
    Free Member

Got in it today and tried to play my ipod though one of those cassette adapter jobbies and no sound came out. Flicked between tape and radio and no sound on radio either.

The audio system has been on its way out for a while after the 6CD changer jammed over a year ago, but the radio and tap functions have been fine since.

Anyway I set off, without music or radio, with the audio system switched off and got a strange high pitched whining coming though the car speakers. the whining seemed to somehow be linked to the revs of the engine and got higher pitched the higher the revs, dropping off when you dipped the clutch to change gear.

Went into a multistorey car par and put the headlights on, the whining got louder, indicated and the whining crackled in time with the indicator clicks.

Radio switches on and off OK, but no sound. Whining sound occurs when radio/audio system is powered off.

WTF is going on?

2004 Audi A3 2.0TDi with BOSE stereo if that makes any difference? I am sure the Audi haterz will have something to say 🙄

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve got the same thing in my Defender, and have been meaning to get the soldering iron out. I *think* the technical term is a ground loop. Basically, you have a knackered cable/connection at some point.

organic355
    Free Member

Assuming it is safe to drive and my electrics arent going to go “POP-FIZZ-BANG” on the motorway??

cranberry
    Free Member

The worst that will happen is that it’ll burst into flames. 🙂

Seriously, I wouldn’t like to say if it is safe or not, best to get it checked out sooner rather than later.

(In my case I know it is the signal cables from the head unit to the amp, and they are unlikely to cause me much of a problem.)

organic355
    Free Member

bit strange that there is no audio output from the stereo though? makes me think the “output” cable has come loose from the back of the stereo and is dangling near the engine and picking up engine noise somehow??

BigJohn

Take it all apart and put it back together again usually works.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What is wrong with my car? please help!!’ is closed to new replies.