Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • what is warmest base layer ?
  • iainc

I have a very warm old heavy icebreaker merino which has fallen to bits. I also have one of the part merino Helly ones which is toasty. Applying the one out one in policy allowes me a new one:-) Criteria is warm as poss, for use on proper cold days when wanting more than regular BaaBaa or icebreaker. Will be single layer under either Stealth or Altura Attack.

ton

icebreaker 200 merino.
    and i have one for sale too…. 😀

iainc

Ton, my warm icebreaker was a 260 🙂

Kryton57

My Pearl Izumi one from 2003 therabouts. I’d be really grateful is someone know what it was, as it stinks but I can’t bear to chuck it without knowing of a like for like replacement!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Warmest base layer would be a mid layer worn next to the skin! 😉

ton

iain, mine is cheap to you.

thomthumb
    Free Member

dectahlon skiing one for a fiver.

sandwicheater

Love my icebreaker 260. That, a t-shirt and a water proof while skiing is all i need, brilliant bits of kit.

Does need to be blooming cold for me to put it on.

iainc

Ton, tempting, but I need a L

P20

My winter base layer is an Odlo. Not merino like my usual ones, but very warm and comfy

ton

no worries mate.

BadlyWiredDog

Some sort of lightweight mid-layer like PowerStretch or PowerDry High Efficiency. Or for a left field take on things, the mesh stuff from Brynje of Norway is brilliant. Like a modern take on a string vest. A bit Right Said Fred but functionally brilliant.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Kryton,

Wash in Halo a couple of times to refresh. AntiBacterial and antifungal IIRC.

LoCo
    Free Member

Icebreaker, however prefer my howies and Finesterre stuff for fit, comfort and quality and it extra warmth is needed go for a merino mid layer too but that’s sub zero temps.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have some Helly Hansen turtle-neck bases for when it’s super cold. No idea of a name / model though… Sorry. 😕

Personally I prefer a synthetic base when really cold too, to help get that moisture moving.

jameso

A thinner merino with a thin polyester layer on top? I’ve found it to be more adaptable, wicks better / dries more than a thicker merino layer and 2 thin layers can insulate better than one thicker one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The “warm” Helly Hansens are v warm indeed.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

An inch of goose fat covered with cling film

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of the ones I have;
    Helly Warm – Very impressive kit.
    Odlo – A bit kinky, toight like a toiger fitting, but oh so good at temperature regulation
    Endura/Altura Merino (Same thing, different badge) – OK as a bargain basement option.
    Smartwool – Hmmm, toasty lovely!
    Icebreaker – Nice. Not something I’d pay for, but very nice

(Worked in the ski/bike trade for some time, and base layers are/were a popular freebie! I’ve got drawers full of the stuff!)

fathomer

If it’s really cold I wear a cheap Nike Combat (I think) with an Icebreaker 200 over the top.

Merino next to the skin doesn’t do it for me. Those Helly Warm ones look nice, may pick one up after Christmas.

iainc

Thanks all, sounds look like my dying icebreaker 260 is about warmest of merino ones and my Helly warm is up there with synthetics. Think I’ll just use the Helly for now till some bargains come up.

iainc

Rocketman, you just cost me £40 🙂

avdave2

Wear 2 if you need to be warmer. Gives you the option to remove one if you’re getting to hot.

CraigW
    Free Member

I want to try one of these, synthetic and should be very warm – Ussen Baltic Norj http://www.ussen.co.uk/index.php/products/activeskinz-tops/long-sleeve-top/

rocketman
    Free Member

you just cost me £40

You wont regret it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Icebreaker 260 base, hardly ever wear it for cycling as it’s just too warm. Great for winter dog walking though.

Frankers
    Free Member

Core Merino baselayers from Embers are thicker than Icebreaker 200, and due to polyester outer dry much quicker.

UK company too

Star Trek styling

cyclingdiogenes
    Free Member

I can recommend Helly Hansen Freeze – nice fit, warm and cosy. I have 3 of them and wear almost everyday, even in a pub. Yup, they’re quite expensive but I have never paid full price for it (usually around 30 quid on sale).
    If you don’t mind really long turtle neck, go for a Helly Hansen Verglas Hybrid, I think that’s the warmest base layer form HH.

Kryton57

I’ve got one of those for road riding, they are brillant.

rocketman – Member

You wont regret it!

He’s right.

DezB
    Free Member

Star Trek styling

And about £150?

Warmest I have is a Campagnolo one from TK Maxx. It’s like a waffle fabric, not that thick but really warm. Great for £20.
    (But I think OP is sorted now)

BoardinBob

Loads of merino stuff in TK Maxx in Glasgow right now. Loads of Icebreaker stuff, though it’s still a bit too pricey for my scrooge spending. I did get a really nice Australian merino top for £20 which is superb. Very comfy and warm.

kedmun
    Free Member

Helly Hansen stuff is fantastic and won’t cost an arm and leg.

The Helly Hansen Kastrup is actually a work wear top – I’ve worn mine through 2 winter season working on ski hills as well as whatever other activity in the cold – mtb’ing, walking, climbing etc. I have stocked about 4 of these in case they stop making them!

Find it cheap here

iainc

Kryton and Rocketman, it looks ideal, many thanks

iainc

Bob, interesting as local too, did you get feel for price of icebreakers ?

IanW
    Free Member

Marks and Spencer extra warm wool long sleeve thermals, if you get cold in those you are probably dead.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

STW have featured the Endura Transrib Baselayer on Freshgoods this week.

What’s the best buy out of this and the Icebreaker 260 / 200 or what would you guys go for?

BoardinBob

Bob, interesting as local too, did you get feel for price of icebreakers ?

£60!

onandon
    Free Member

Tk maxx have a load of HH base layers in at the moment.
    You really can’t do better than the HH stuff when it’s on sale.

IMHO the craft zero stuff is also worth a look.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘what is warmest base layer ?’ is closed to new replies.