• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by MikeG.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What is this metal stuff called!
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Evening STW..

I was wondering if any of you know what the metalwork is called in the following picture.
    I am certain I have seen it before, but can’t quite put a name to it. Its like a modular construction type thingy!

Cheers
    Josh

everyone
    Free Member

No idea but I know max on here made a frame jig like this.

matt_outandabout

???

Zìxíngch?

project
    Free Member

box section metal tracking.

nickdavies

just box section aluminium.
    you can pick it up pretty easily from exhibition companies, we use something called Sodum which is similar to that. Loads of octanorm on ebay etc if you don’t need square shape.

richmars

Lots of different types, we use Item, get it from MBS:
    Item

Other makes are cheaper but I think Item has the best range

project
    Free Member
    richmars

Used it here for a bike jig:

mickmcd
    Free Member

Google Bosch rexroth or item or valuframe they are machine building sytema, I actually make and sell frame jigs the lower cost one uses an aluminium system the same as this with a kit of parts

twonks

It’s essentially just called aluminium extrusion.

shifter
    Free Member

From the adventure van thread on ADVRider I’d say 80/20.

andyl
    Free Member

I buy it from misumi for work stuff. You can get it silly cheap direct from manufacturers though if you buy enough. Someone posted a cheap uk place a few months back, got a bookmark on my PC.

joepose
    Free Member

There are many standard profiles similar to this one.
    Octanorm as mentioned before is one. You can buy mill finish cheaper or in a nice anodised finish.

If you want enough of the stuff (250kgs plus) you can get your own bespoke extrusions made. A die for something like this would cost circa £1000 so you could even design your own.

mc
    Free Member

As others have said, it’s just Aluminium Profile.
    There are quite a few trade names for it.

I’ve bought it previously from KJN (http://www.kjnltd.co.uk/), but there are quite a few other online suppliers now with pretty good ranges.

handyman153
    Free Member

Guys…

Thank you for all the answers, given me loads to look into!

Richmars – That’s pretty much exactly what I am trying to achieve, don’t suppose you have any other pictures do you?

d45yth
    Free Member

OP, right-click the image and copy the url – you can then paste that and delete the last part to get the directory.

MikeG

These guys are just down the road from me, seem ok for price and were happy to sell small quantities

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What is this metal stuff called!’ is closed to new replies.