Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What is this
  • andyg1966

Maps

Using google maps and came across this.

Any ideas?

scotroutes

The new Space X landing pad

P-Jay
    Free Member

Canabis plantation? I came across one in the middle of a field years and years ago, apprently you’d need to smoke a joint “the size of a telegraph pole” to get high off it, but they still want to keep them quiet so they tuck them away in the middle of fields off the beaten path.

jag61

a rubbish maize maze?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Listed grotto/folly or something, perhaps?

The tree layout is very ornamental.

lapierrelady

Archeological site? Burial ground maybe?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Trees or bushes, circular for a reason, maybe just easy to cut around. Enclosed to keep animals out. Cross is pathway. Decorative, maybeva folly or small game enclosure. Easy to snake around perimeter then shoot at game browsing on open pathway.

bubs

Hmm, a giant Phillips head screw….but why?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Looks like some kind of blood-red inverted teardrop.

matt_outandabout

Nuclear launch site…

joshvegas
    Free Member

There is almost certainly treasure atvthe intersection of the two lines.

malgrey
    Free Member

Not on the 1:25k OS Map either…

Definitely a hidden entrance to the underworld. Or some trees planted by a farmer, though why he’d do that and lose crop space, I don’t know.

km79
    Free Member

No hints on the os map or photos of it on geograph. If you look at the ariel on bing maps there is another square to the right which looks like just dirt but similar footprint to your original. Maybe just something the farmer put in for the hell of it.

https://binged.it/2Bv5hrI

maccruiskeen

Seems pretty recent

If you view the location on Google earth you can click back through older satellite views – in 1999 there’s hardly anything there.

Drac

Baby Robin holiday camp.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Looks like a circular plantation of conifers, some mixed deciduous cover, bisected by two paths that make a cross. A commemoration/memorial maybe?

You can just see on street viewi, across the field from the lane to the north next to a dwelling:

donks
    Free Member

Clearly a big tacchini sign

oldtennisshoes

Is it this?

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1020511

I don’t think so, but it is shown on the location map – bottom right corner, green circle.

parkesie
    Free Member

Think wallops got it my google maps has it tagged as Rowlands castle

downhillfast
    Free Member

Landing area for recon element of an alien invasion force?

petec
    Free Member

it’s got a footpath through it, so pop along…

here

bubs

It has no specific ecological or scheduled monument status and so is perhaps just a recent copse or cover.

chip
    Free Member

A memorial garden to joe cocker.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

petec linked to side by side comparative georeferencing

My (curiously obsessive) inner-antiquarian just threw up but in a good way

I may be some time…for me that’s the best thing on the internet. Well, that, a search engine, and youtube. And STW of course 🙂

poly
    Free Member

it is clearer in the bing birdseye: https://binged.it/2CCizSO

spectabilis
    Free Member

Malvern Rider – Member
    petec linked to side by side comparative georeferencing

My (curiously obsessive) inner-antiquarian just threw up but in a good way

I may be some time…for me that’s the best thing on the internet. Well, that, a search engine, and youtube. And STW of course

Indeed, looks like no sleep for me tonight!

Great link Petec.

squirrelking
    Free Member

NLS maps are awesome, the aerial surveys are usually worth a look too (mostly Scotland)

petec
    Free Member

NLS is a great website – comparing places like Happisburgh and seeing how much land has fallen into the sea over the last 70 years is amazing

Moses

A How / site of a burial mound?

stevied
    Free Member

The remains of Professor Xavier’s School for gifted youngsters?

globalti
    Free Member

The most prosaic explanations are often the best – possibly it was planted to give cover for breeding pheasants?

Stevet1
    Free Member

jambourgie – Member

Lol!

maccruiskeen

Only from the south – from my northern perspective its the right way up.

maccruiskeen

The most prosaic explanations are often the best – possibly it was planted to give cover for breeding pheasants?

or a farmer applies for a grant for tree planting.

It might seem odd that its so geometric but if you’re planting for the purpose of habitat management you’re trying to get particular ratios between species or thresholds between cover and open space (which you might need to promise on the the grant application) then that sort of pushes you towards an easily audit-able design.

You wouldn’t notice its so regimented from the ground as the photo above shows – it just looks unusual from the air. And their are all sorts of unusual land forms that pop up in aerial photos that are just attempts to achieves those measurable / auditable methods of land management

A friend gets a grant for cutting rushes on his land for wildlife management / encouragement. The grant requires a certain percentage is cut and certain percentage is left undisturbed so that theres a mix of cover for nesting and open space for foraging. Given the rushes grow in any distribution they like its up to him to come up for a strategy and pattern of cutting that yields those percentages. It would be interesting to see what his land looks like from the air.

GrahamS

+1 for Hellmouth

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What is this’ is closed to new replies.