Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What is the the best bottom bracket to use where a lot of sand is involved ?
  • peasant
    Free Member

My bottom bracket (shimano xt) drive side is shot after 6 months riding twice a week and a fair bit of that at woburn can anyone recommend one that will last a bit longer and won,t cost a fortune ? thanks

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Old fashioned style shimano cartridge bottom bracket. My octalink one has lasted all year riding on the beach, you don ‘ get much sandier than that.

skooby39
    Free Member

Old style cartridge BB’s survive better in all riding conditions.

The logic of moving a part like the BB that was once nicely tucked inside the frame, out of harms way, to an ‘external’ position more exposed to grit / water / dirt / dust, only makes sense if your company makes said BBs.

Spin
    Free Member

Hope?

teasel
    Free Member

As above; any internal BB will fare a lot better than any of the latest offerings.

I’ve run a Controltech ISIS jobbie for coming up 6 years with just one bearing replacement (re-greased twice over that period). Used about three four times a week as a commuter, on and off-road in all conditions. Good external rubber seals on my model, though…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

pray?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What is the the best bottom bracket to use where a lot of sand is involved ?’ is closed to new replies.