Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What is the smallest part you have used as an excuse for a new build?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

What have you had laying about and thought "I could build a new bike round that"? How small an excuse has it needed?

surfer
    Free Member

I found a disk bolt with no Araldite.
    Built it up to an Inbred with Talas!

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

not quite the same but the other weekend I picked a whole bike up from the tip as it looked far to good to waste, everything seemed to be working and it even had air in the tyres.

got a bit carried away and now only the frame and fork are original with everything else brand new…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlyhifi
    Free Member

I once felt a gust of wind which I promptly contained in a plastic ziplock bag I happened upon at the time. I quickly ordered a new frame, forks, and all the parts… that gust of wind went into the rear shock, best suspension action ever. 😯

Coyote
    Free Member

Was given a pair of Z3 Qr20 forks. They evolved into my Coyote Dual SS. 8)

Had shifter and mech left over from above SS conversion. Now on their way to becoming a DMR Trailstar LT. 8) 8)

Digger90
    Free Member

…on a more serious note, for me a new bike usually starts with a bare frame but I've also built bikes around a pair of forks I selected first..

firestarter
    Free Member

I had an ss crank and a seat post so I built up a karate monkey. But got a nice ss ring for it and needed a new post as one I had was layback and needed inline 😉

sssimon
    Free Member

pair of carbon hybrid forks slowly becoming a cyclocros build (and I doubt the forks will make it onto the final build)

mamadirt
    Free Member

I have a brand new red Odyssey brake cable in the tool box and a barely used v brake on the back of the Inbred – hmmmmmm, bmx or mtb?? It'd be rude not too really 😛

stevet
    Free Member

Well ive just received an extra free mech hanger when i bought 1 from Petra Cycles … Excuse to build another Commencal ?

shedfull
    Free Member

I've got a 456 Summer Season I built around a pair of 2002 Marzocchi Z1 Dropoff forks I bought for another project that didn't happen. The forks cost 75 quid. The bike cost £1000 all up.

oldgit
    Free Member

A headset and blue SLR saddle.

hooja
    Free Member

a pair or original old skool green dice dust caps!!

househusband
    Free Member

Crimped cable end.

mmb
    Free Member

i can't believe any of you actually needed an excuse tsk tsk.

singlespeedstu

I built a new bike around a puncture repair patch.

househusband
    Free Member

I built a bike once, based upon the air around me – because I knew it would soon occupy the tubeless wheelset it would have.

TheSwede
    Free Member

A ferrule.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have some rigid forks, bars/stem and a rear brake and I'm thinking of building a bike around them. Something singlespeed and a bit more road/commute oriented.

Junkyard
    Free Member

credit card….. tiny and yet it contains so many shinny new bits

ex-pat
    Free Member

Gear hub, to build a cruiser.
    Cruiser is built, hub gear is still in a box on the shelf 😕

Coyote
    Free Member

Junkyard wins! I think it rings true for so many of us.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What is the smallest part you have used as an excuse for a new build?’ is closed to new replies.