Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What is the season for road biking, and why not do it in winter?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

I don't understand, why not ride on the road in winter as well?

mrmo
    Free Member

i am confused? not ride in the winter?

I spend more time on a road bike in the winter, the trails are muddy, the road less so. I can get a short ride in and not get totally caked in mud by staying on the road.

twohats
    Free Member

I and many other people do.

grahamt1980

As soon as work get their arses in gear I will be riding on the road more than off road too this winter. Just easier as I wont have to put the bike in the car to get to trails.
    Night riding is worthwhile off road though

grumm
    Free Member

Think it's more that some people have super posh road bikes they don't want to take out in all the mud and grit you get on the roads in winter.

theboatman
    Free Member

I think plenty do, but there are quite a few of us who spare our 'posh' (to us)road bikes from the worst of the weather, and use a bike with full mudguards on for general winter riding. My MTB is just wet and muddy all year 😀

edit – grumm beat me to it!

nockmeister
    Free Member

Mud and grit isn't as bad as salt on an alloy frame!!

scaredypants

I stopped a road ride after about half a mile one night – felt like my face had frozen solid

* And that's down on the balmy south coast & was only about -5

** But I am probably Britain's fastest rider

JoB
    Free Member

**loads** of people ride road bikes in the winter, but they don't talk about it because they're getting secret training miles in

ourmaninthenorth

Er, we ride on the road 52 weeks of the year. And have done long before being an IT manager and cycling-is-the-new-golf became synonymous.

Just because you're not riding doesn't mean no-one else is. Ever heard of Schrodinger's Cat?

oldgit
    Free Member

We do ride road all year? Always have done always will. In fact reliability trials (FOC sportives) are part of winter riding I really look forward to.
    December though has always been a month for some serious bike related chillin, a chance to ride some miles like you don't care and get to talk to everyone.
    Then come March it's race season again.
    There's always room for lots of mountainbiking of course.

scaredypants

Ever heard of Schrodinger's Cat?

Does a roadie die if someone spots him riding in winter ? (say, James Martin)

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I don't understand 😆

jonb
    Free Member

Roadies, like Mtbers, ride all year round. There are fewer races in winter which is what defines the season. Most serious racers will e training during the winter months.

Personally I don't ride on the road much during winter as often end up riding in the dark which I'd rather do off road as I feel safer. Also with ice, mud, water, leaves and drivers with iced up windows the roads become much more dangerous.

I have a large network of off road cycle paths near me (old railways) so any long easy miles I can do on them on a mountain bike with hybrid tyres.

aP
    Free Member

This winter I will be doing nice steady miles out on the road with my club on Saturdays then hurling my guts up on Sundays at cross races.
    The hardest bit about winter road riding is keeping warm enough.

njee20
    Free Member

Quite a few roadies will play on MTBs in winter, whilst quite a few MTBers will do more on the road in winter, it's slightly odd.

Serious riders will train all year round though. Winter road rides can be lovely, unless it's icy!

mugsys_m8

For me the 'season' is the racing/ sportive season. I keep on riding through the winter though. Some serious racer types take a break for a month or two around this time.

Drac

why not ride on the road

I don't understand.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Road seasons starts the second this freak nice weather ends.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do as many road miles in winter as I do in summer – and itrs a fair amount. Don't know anyone who puts their bike away for winter. Obvioulsy a lot of folk only ride at the weekend and not everyone likes riding in the cold and wet.

But I don't really know where you've got the idea that folk don't ride on the road in winter.

rammyrunner
    Free Member

There are fewer races in winter which is what defines the season

Good reason for that as marshals do not want to freeze their bums off 😆

Kramer
    Free Member

I got the idea from the pimpy road bikes thread, with loads of people referring to putting them away for winter.

I love riding in winter, frost and ice make wet muddy descents so much more interesting. 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What is the season for road biking, and why not do it in winter?’ is closed to new replies.