Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • What is the right temp to set the central heating during the winter months?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

insulation is king. mines noticably warmer now with the blinds fitted. the rooms yet to have them put up are noticably cooler when you walk into them.

ive yet to see the heating come on of its own accord to keep it at 14degrees – the thermostat lives in the living room though, sunniest room in the house during the day and then the fire is on in the house at night. – the other rooms could be cooler , i like a cool bedroom , its a constant fight between me and the mrs to try and make the bedroom warmer.

some snow on the roof will make a good insulator im sure – our bedrooms in the roof !

Grimy
    Free Member

Three bed semi here and our stat is in the hallway and set to 15 degrees. I don’t bother with the timer as our life’s don’t run to a schedule. It kicks in and out about three or four times a day for an hour or so whilst its frosty outside. We’ve old thin double glazing, 9″ solid walls with no cavity, and a little loft insulation but the arched ceilings mean that it’s impossible to insulate about 25% of the loft. 15 degrees in the hall gives us about 18/19 in the lounge. If my wife’s cold, she just pops the gas fire on for a while. Our gas usage averages out to about £35 a month.

I did just make a significant improvement to the heat retention by draft proofing the hallway. The gap between the floorboards and skirting boards was letting a real cold draft up from under the suspended floors. We lifted the carpet and caulked all the gaps, including a few around old pipe runs and broken floor board tongs. Relayed some thick cloud 9 underlay too. The difference has exceeded all expectation.

FuzzyWuzzy

Mine’s at 24c day and 18c overnight (although the bedroom radiator stays off permanently). I prefer sitting around in shorts and t-shirt rather than wearing jackets and stuff indoors like they did in ye olde days…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mine’s at 24c day and 18c overnight (although the bedroom radiator stays off permanently). I prefer sitting around in shorts and t-shirt rather than wearing jackets and stuff indoors like they did in ye olde days..

24c 😯
    But if you’re wearing shorts and T shirts inside, doesn’t that mean you have to put trousers/etc on just to go outside?

ransos
    Free Member

If you’re cold, put a thick jumper on. If you’re still cold, turn the heating up. Simples.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mine’s at 24c day

We have office wars, I get uncomfortable if the room goes above 23c; wonder if I should wear short sleeves but that seems silly in the winter. Heating off between 9:30pm and 8:00am, no idea how cold it gets then, if cold at night then just add a blanket – or even a hot water bottle.

Kryton57

You know what this thread needs? A North / South indicator. I’m willing to put money on there being a familiar trend….

trail_rat
    Free Member

im scottish – there fore im statistically going to be the “most grippit” – more so than you shandy drinking folk from north of england :d

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

21 at night according to the thermostat in the downstairs hall

Blimey. I’d just lie awake sweating all night at that temperature. 🙂

Kryton57

So this prompted some studying on my part. I managed to work out by timing the on off cycle of the Boiler and a few other numbers, that our heating bill is about £3.12 per day.

I also found out Mrs Kryton (who complains the Kitched is cold, and that there are cold spots on the house) has been fiddling with the TRV’s, leaving the Rad next to her end of the sofa on full.

Having wandered around the house re-setting the TRV’s to approx the same as our bedroom (which with the baby monitor was showing 20), AND setting the Thermostat down a degree (20 at night, 22 daytime) we’ve woken to a much more even temperature around the house.

The whole exercise is probably a bit geeky, but we may see some savings…

mudshark
    Free Member

Wow that’s like £90/month! How big is your house?

A North / South indicator.

Which are you then?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I need to fiddle with mine, not running my heating efficiently

Basically 15 degrees through the day when there’s no one around, the for 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night it goes up to 22……and I have a wife who’s motto seems to be “is the heating still on?”

wrecker
    Free Member

You can calculate it if you like;
    http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~bsapplec/newpage315.htm
    Note the inclusion of metabolic rate and clothing in the equation.

Kryton57

mudshark – Member
    Wow that’s like £90/month! How big is your house?

A North / South indicator.

Which are you then?

Mudshark – that was during the day yesterday, and it was 1 degree outside also, I didn’t take account of the lower nightime period (I’ve no desire to sit next to the boiler with a stopwatch at 3am). So the assumption was that it was running 24 minutes in the hour for 24hrs, so perhaps we can assume 2/3rds of that is more realistic.

The fact that I can afford to run my heating 24hrs and despise the thought of wearing jumpers should tell you I’m Southern…. 😀

Let me try Wreckers calculator…. hold on…

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Three bed semi here and our stat is in the hallway and set to 15 degrees. I don’t bother with the timer as our life’s don’t run to a schedule. It kicks in and out about three or four times a day for an hour or so whilst its frosty outside. We’ve old thin double glazing, 9″ solid walls with no cavity, and a little loft insulation but the arched ceilings mean that it’s impossible to insulate about 25% of the loft. 15 degrees in the hall gives us about 18/19 in the lounge. If my wife’s cold, she just pops the gas fire on for a while. Our gas usage averages out to about £35 a month.

What am I doing wrong?

This is similar to me in every respect except my bill is double that.

Kryton57

Let me try Wreckers calculator…. hold on…

Actually forget that, I can’t even read that level of maths. 😐

mudshark
    Free Member

The fact that I can afford to run my heating 24hrs and despise the thought of wearing jumpers should tell you I’m Southern….

I’m a southerner too – just a hardy one?! The person I’ve lived with who wanted the house the hottest was my mate from Scotland. My wife’s not too bad thought she’s from China and when we went there one winter they don’t do heating mostly. We were sitting there eating dinner in our coats – 6 degrees it was!

flowerpower
    Free Member

dangerousbeans – Member
    What am I doing wrong?

This is similar to me in every respect except my bill is double that.

Just double it!? We are similar (but use a log burner to boost things)and are paying £200 per month…

I have now turned it down to 5C during the day/night, and to 16 (=18/19 in living room) for a couple of hours in the morning and again in the evening. Will see if that gets the bill down 🙁

Kryton57

mudshark – Member

The fact that I can afford to run my heating 24hrs and despise the thought of wearing jumpers should tell you I’m Southern….

I’m a southerner too – just a hardy one?! The person I’ve lived with who wanted the house the hottest was my mate from Scotland. My wife’s not too bad thought she’s from China and when we went there one winter they don’t do heating mostly. We were sitting there eating dinner in our coats – 6 degrees it was!

There’s the issue right there Mudshark – my wife has Bajan blood so anything below 28 degrees is cold to her!

Kryton57

Just double it!? We are similar (but use a log burner to boost things)and are paying £200 per month

Whoah!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Whoah! indeed

MrSmith
    Free Member

Whoah! indeed

The quarterly gas bill (heat/hot water/hob) doesn’t quite get to that. Victorian terrace with poor insulation/windows.
    Thermo set at anything between 15.5-17.5 between 2.30 and 10pm. Seems to be more efficient to have it on early at a low temp so boiler doesn’t have to fire for a long time to warm rooms up for the evening.
    Southerner who grew up with no central heating so most other people’s houses feel baking hot to me.
    I find the idea of having the heating on during the night slightly odd, I could understand it if you didn’t own a duvet or liked sleeping with just a sheet.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What is the right temp to set the central heating during the winter months?’ is closed to new replies.