Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • What is the rarest component you own? Poss bike p*rn content.
  • stumpytrek
    Free Member

I have the only 18″ Pipedream Olympic in existence…

And an Mountain Cycle Zen frame…

kiwijohn

My GT Dyno Glide

My GT Moto which now has a Cool Tool quick release multi tool with chainbreaker that sits in the end of your bar.

Also have a Hite Rite on my Salsa.

aracer
    Free Member

I have a quill stem, Look Ergostem. Fairly unusual and most often seen on a trackie’s bike or my workbench!

Not even the only person with one on this thread – mine is on this:

I’ve also got a Hotta

Yeah, but the 700 ones are 10 a penny 😉 – mine’s a 650, hence far rarer – I’ve never even seen another in a picture.

I used have a Chris King/WTB Grease Guard headset that I got for free. I sold it roughly ten years ago for £50, which was a lot for a rough looking headset!
    It reappeared on Ebay a year or so ago and fetched £170!!!!

😯
    Is there anything special about being CK branded? That’s a WTB grease guard on the tandem (apparently it’s a treasure trove of rare parts), and if they’re going for that I’d be quite tempted to cash in and replace with something rather cheaper.

Though having had a think (and if cynic-al will allow this) I have something which is in a sense far rarer than anything else on this thread. I mean everybody else is showing bike frames, brakes, handlebars etc. and there are literally millions of things which fulfill the same functionality as each of those (you can argue all you like about how your top cap is unique, but fundamentally a Halfords special does the same job). I own something which is unique in that there is nothing else in the world with the same functionality (with the possible exception of a handful of similar home made things). Mine is serial number 31, and there are currently far less than 1000 of these in existence – going from the known serial numbers, probably only ~700 ever made. Though strangely enough I’m not the only person who’s posted on this thread who owns one:

Oh, and thanks for the advice, ben – is now back in use with a full complement of spokes 🙂

oxym0r0n

Another Gary Fisher top cap here
    Also just sold a set of white sram 9.0sl hubs with disc adapters – not that much interest on retrobike

Got a pair of silver hope ti hubs inc ss rear but prob not that rare & some original turbine cranks in regular use
    Sold some lovely middleburn skewers recently that looked like mini-cranks

alpin
    Free Member

Corr there’s a lot of odd ball stuff on this thread. Feeling decidedly left out, but then again those posting are probably twice my age….

I’ve got and use a Syntace VRO stem/ handel bar. I remember Big Dummy off here had one. Pretty rare outside of Germany/the Liteville crowd.

gmex619
    Free Member

Alpin..I’m 19 mate..

tinybits
    Free Member

Blimey, I used to have one if those moltons,mine was in red and I was so embarrassed that my dad had got me one.
    Hang on, I still think its a bit rubbish!

ajantom

Magura HS66 drop bar levers mated to Julie calipers, giving you hydraulic dropbar brakes.

did I have a conversation about that with you at Bespoked???

Hi Shandcycles 🙂 yes, we did chat about that amongst other things.
    Was discussing Bespoked the other day with a mate, and we decided that yours were our favourite bikes in the show.
    Did you say you still have some HS66 sets? Hens teeth they are – they go mad for ’em over on Retrobike!

bland

Got some middleburn rs2 un- etched from bob at goldtec which were from the partnership deal they did to produce the posh gold anodised groupset

Northwind

I own an uncracked 224 Evo. /thread.

andrewh
    Free Member

Magura HS66 drop bar levers mated to Julie calipers, giving you hydraulic dropbar brakes.

WANT! 😀
    Got a few rare frames, mid 1990s Coppi K14 road frame, the very nice fillet-brazed one (for sale) 1993 M-Trax ti (with 1 1/8″ threaded headsetand quill stem, 21sp LX etc),a Yeti ASR-C, and two Pronghron hardtails.
    Pre-production set of Formula R1s.

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, and thanks for the advice, ben – is now back in use with a full complement of spokes

The Penny Farthing spoke worked? Good stuff 😉

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

A set of trp euroX magnesium ti canti’s not rare but at £200+for a set of cant’s I’d hazard that there’s not that many knocking about ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Not mine, but mate has one of the few Lotus carbon super MTBs from the early 90’s (i think 500 were made, most going to pro riders). He’s owned it from new, I think one of the carbon parts recently gave up the ghost after 18 years (the bit that holds the front derailleur). also has hydraulic rim brakes (rear only in this pic).

epicyclo

So should I put my HS66s on my Ti Pompino with a Cambiogear 16 speed front ring and the automatic 6 speed rear transmission, or would it be better to put the Browning automatic transmission chainring on my EPX? And should I lace up the brand new Campag Mexico Olympic rims for it?

I have a few complete bikes that are rare, mainly because no one else would be daft enough to want one.

I think the Unicycle hub wins, but the best component mod is Ben Cooper’s twin disk IMO.

gmex619
    Free Member

Ive seen those lotus frames. I would love one.. they are superb..

wool

My Clockwork Orange, in a very limited matt orange apparently only 50 were ever done like this just near finishing the restoration just need a Rolls Sadle and apart from a new chain and cabling it’s finished…. Now I am sure someone is going to tell me that the whole of 1991 production was done in this mode…

Clockwork Orange by Piers Mortimer, on Flickr

Or this ?

BIKE CLEAR OUT !! by Piers Mortimer, on Flickr

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Not very fancy, but I have the first Ridgeback Tempest prototype…

It has such a scary low bottom bracket that I had to put 700c wheels on it so I could lean into corners 🙄

walleater

I dunno how many Syncros Magnesium hubs are left. When I build this one up, maybe there’ll soon be one less!

walleater

On a less serious note, check out this drain cover bashring that came through the shop a year or two back!

higthepig
    Free Member

I can’t compete with the previous posts, but I did find this in a the garage the other day, does anybody still use them?
    [/url] P1010696 by higthepig, on Flickr[/img]

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Oh well if we are doing prototypes.

SRAM X9 pre-production rear mech

SRAM X9 Pre Production by Tyred Cyclist, on Flickr

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Now that’s a class looking Orange, needs some skinwall rubber on it though 😀

epicyclo

higthepig – Member
    I can’t compete with the previous posts, but I did find this in a the garage the other day, does anybody still use them?

Got 4 bikes with them, and a spare box of cotter pins in the shed.

BTW the drop bar with rod brakes on the bike in the pic is fairly rare too. 🙂

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Probably the disc rotor lock ring removal tool for my red Hope Ti-glide hubs. I say red, but the ano has faded to pink.

The wheels are still good after 10+ years on V brake 517 rims – I had them built before I got discs so I could upgrade once I got a disc compatible frame. Luckily really, because the Hope XC4’s were so useless I eventually went back to XTR V brakes for a bit.

mav12
    Free Member

I have a. Full Set of campy eucilid canti brakes

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘What is the rarest component you own? Poss bike p*rn content.’ is closed to new replies.