Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • What is the oldest component on your main bike?
  • xiphon
    Free Member

Orange Patriot LT frame – 2000

ThePinkster

Hope Hoops Pro3 wheels are the oldest part of my current bike and they’re only about 6 years old.

My 2nd main bike is running a Shimano XTR Hollowtech crankset from about 1997 though.

Not with original rings, spider or BB I hasten to add.

andytherocketeer

Actually, I have 2 bottles and 2 bottle cages from about 1990. But they’re not on the main bike, but the 2nd bike at the moment.

Every other component is same age as or newer than the frames.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

Sram attack shifters, 10 years old this year

Crag
    Free Member

I built up my Cannondale hardtail 10 years ago and, other than the frame still have the forks (Marzocchi Marathon), xt rear mech, avid rollamajig, and front wheel (xt & mavic 717 rim) that just refuse to die no matter how much I neglect them.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

A neoprene Lizard Skin chain stay protector.

Must be at least 15 years old… or ti stem bolts. A similar age.

Although most of my components are much newer, I haven’t yet built a bike with 100% new stuff.

Maybe for my 40th (a decade away)!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I recently tried to replace the cleats on my SIDIs and found they were seized on. So reverted to my spare pair, some Shimanos that I bought in 1997. Still awesome.

I also have a Kona pertex jacket from the same year, that is still two sizes to big for me and a bum bag that I use occasionally from the same year.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Actually I have a Ging chain device too from 1997, but it’s not been on a bike in a long long time.

kcal

1998 Stumpjumper M2 (as in oldest of my bikes that was bought new).
    Cranks are still original StrongArm (I think).

Everything else replaced as it failed or upgraded. Oldest after-market component – either M959s that went on a couple years after new (so 14 years old) or the Hope Mini (front only) that’s maybe 12/13 years old. Still same rotor as well.

woodsman
    Free Member

CK headset on all my bikes 14 years is the oldest

mccett
    Free Member

1998 Middleburn cranks on square taper…. the reason all my bikes since get Middleburn cranks eventually.

UK-FLATLANDER

Frame, forks, bars and stem on my Orange C16R used as a “road” bike all circa 1996 and still going strong.

jeb

I stil use a suntour thumpshifter left pod for my frontshifter, on my spesh camber, works like a charm, it is from about 1993, build like a tank !

chip
    Free Member

Nothing against old parts, or reusing old parts but I don’t think my OCD would Cope with odd wheels or shifters, next you will be telling me some one has different make/model brakes on front from back or even different grips.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My Wheels – Hope Bulbs with Mavic D521CD rims built around the turn of the century by Wheelpro. Changed a few bearings and the pawls but they’ve been serious value.

HughStew

The White Brothers cranks on my main (until the new one arrives) bike, were from a Team Marin that I bought second hand in 1990. I still have that bike, but it’s relegated to pub / shopping / pootling duties.
    What do I win?

Northwind

Maybe the cranks? 2007-ish.

On my commuter, which i ride the most, it’s mostly from 1991.

matt_outandabout

I regularly wear an old Berghaus cycle top from circa 1996/7, and a Vaude rucsac of 1997/8 vintage, maybe that counts.

mjsmke

MTB:
    Frame – 9 years (FSR XC)

Road:
    wheels,both mechs, cranks, levers – 15 years

onehundredthidiot

11 year old Hope M4s still going strong. Except they are 6mm hose and Hope only do 5mm now. Fits though.

AD

Same as Jeb – XC pro front thumb-shifter on my Flux.
    And I thought I was a unique little snowflake! 🙂

kerbdog
    Free Member

2004 XT cranks from my old Spesh Enduro
    Deore disc brakes from the same.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Raceface Northshore XS sq taper cranks – bought late 2005 – 40+ builds later now running ‘dinglespeed’ on the Hooker.

Oh, and I do have a rather nice 1967 Schwinn Speedster cruiser.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Gary Fisher fish shaped valve cap and Klein top cap, circa 1999 🙂

rob1984p
    Free Member

My D521 rims or XT M750 shifter. Both are two components that I love and have had loads of on bikes over the years.

garage-dweller

Flite Ti saddle c. 1999.

Nothing comes close for mountain bike bottom comfort.

After that is a ust rear wheel from 2005.

Pete-B
    Free Member

In a way my main bike as I use it every day for commuting (with road tyres, close ratio cassette, mudguards & rack no less) is my 1992 Trek 8000.
    It still has the original stem & Deore DX front mech.
    Until last year it still had the original XT brake levers – the XT shifters were cut off a couple of years previously but they still must have seen 18 years service.
    The bike’s been raced, done mud plugging on the local green lanes & weekend trips to the Peak district & now does 2.5k a year commuting. (It was relieved of that duty for a couple of years when I bought an 8 sp Alfine Carrera from H*lfords but that heap of sh!t fell apart. Yes, I know, why would you buy a bike from there. Simple answer it was a bargain. Or would have been had it not fell apart).

doof_doof
    Free Member

Early 90’s Ringle bottle cage. In purple, of course.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

the LX cranks. Probably 10 years old.

poah
    Free Member

pedals, TIME ATAC bought when they first released them around 96 I think

Sven

ca. 1991 Suntour XC Pro cranks, square taper, of course…

oliverracing

my xc bike is built up of parts in the 5 year to 2 month age range, but I do have 1993 bar ends on it!

noteeth
    Free Member

Circa 93/94 Bontrager Race frame… although the Deore XT thumbies might be a little older.

All in better condition than me, frankly. 😳

martello
    Free Member

That would be the 1992 Use Ti post (yes, with purple anodised cradle) that’s attached to a 1992 Merlin frame, you Johny come latelys 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

All of my bikes have carry over parts from a predecessor, my 2004 Enduro frame now hangs from the living room wall…but it lives on in the form of my Camber, which inherited all the XT bits and Revelation fork, but all of that is no more than four years old.

The oldest component in use is the front hub of my Marin – it’s a 2005 vintage Hope Bulb, albeit in imminent need of new bearings. It’s closely followed by the front mech on the Marin – a 2006 XT jobby.

Kind of depressing to think that all the components I’ve bought for their durability back in the mid 2000s are now all long gone.

asbrooks

2001 Marzocchi Z3s. Serviced last year. Work as good as new.

robido

the rider 59 in july

knightrider
    Free Member

possibly the original xt 4 pot disc brakes? got to be over 10 yrs old

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

2004 spesh enduro frame. Everything else bolted to it is new(er).

100mphplus
    Free Member

I have an ex Nigel Page Intense Team Deemax Fr wheel circa 2002 that is still going strong and straight.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What is the oldest component on your main bike?’ is closed to new replies.