Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What is the most useless piece of camping equipment you always take…
  • david47
    Free Member

I was packing the car for the Erlestoke 12 last night and was again think about how much of this stuff we really need… Got a trailer and boot load of stuff which I’m sure we can thin down a bit:-) Oddly, the thing that always sets me off is the bottle opener and plastic wine glasses we take. Again, we have only packed beer, we only ever take beer, never wine. Why oh why do I get told to we take wine glasses !

wwaswas

the best thing about plastic wine glasses is that the bases have no weight so they get knocked over if you so much as look at them funny.

Suncream would be top of my list of stuff I take camping but never get to use 🙁

PiknMix
    Free Member

The wife 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

All those bloody chargers and technology, I always try to wittle down the tablet, netbook, smartphone etc…rarely do and always at a loss to my experience. They’re not useless because I never use them, they’re useless because if taken they get used all of the time whilst degrading the joy of camping.

Last weekend for instance, went off on a whim, tent, bedding, paperback, storm kettle and a plastic bag for storing dry kindling. Had the very best of times without looking at a screen or needing a charge point. Did a lot of talking and other stuff too.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

As pik n mix, but she makes up for it by bringing every conceivable piece of equipment/soft furnishings/light literature/mondern convenience/lifestyle product imaginable. 98% of which never leaves the car.

Hurrah.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Condoms.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

My wife seems to think that a plastic carrier bag is an acceptable form of luggage for whatever we take useless or not!

fasthaggis

I don’t tend to take any useless stuff,but I often forget/leave behind a lot of things that could have been useful 😳

Good reminder to do a double check before leaving tonight 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

and other stuff too

hunting for ray mears style wild snacks?
    starting fires by rubbing sticks?
    playing hide and seek?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

hunting for ray mears style wild snacks?
    starting fires by rubbing sticks?
    playing hide and seek?

Euphemistic genius FTW 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Just limit the available space. Our next camping trip will be in the US so all gear has to be taken on a plane with us.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Shorts and t shirt – in Scotland!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I always take my espresso pot. I always forget that, the last time I took my espresso pot I didn’t use it because it won’t balance on top of my stove.

🙂

dknwhy

She makes us take fairy lights to make the tent look pretty. FFS. Anyone got a patio that needs levelling?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

i have most of my camping kit down to the essentials only now which is good.
    it took a bit of practice though, now I have a grab box with all of my kit and a few packing lists depending on what type of camping / time of year.

the items that are the bane of my packing (but which are mostly essential) is clothing. I always end up taking way too much, one set for warm weather, one set for cold, one set for wet and so on. spare socks are a given but the rest hardly ever gets used.

oh, and the ex was a nightmare, tea lights as above, double futon mattress and matching duvet / pillows, half the kitchen including the sink…I could go on

franksinatra

Two types of camping in my family. Mountain camping, lightweight self sufficiency and then family camping. This weekend is family. Car is currently groaning on its springs. Latest useless wife purchase is a vango wardrobe. FFS.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Plastic knives, forks and spoons. What’s wrong with metal ones?

peterfile
    Free Member

Latest useless wife purchase is a vango wardrobe. FFS.

😆

Brilliant!

I remember heading away for a week of semi self sufficiency with a not-very-outdoorsy mate a few years ago.

He really struggled with the weight of his pack on day one and I started to doubt whether we’d make all seven days.

After moaning about the weight all day, as we neared our destination for the evening he said “How many aftershaves did you bring?”

😯

(When i replied “None”, he simply said that I could have whatever one he wasn’t wearing that night)

Great, thanks!

MoreCashThanDash

A 10 year old son and a 7 year old daughter….

Houns

Last weekend, Miss Houns was asked by a woman in the ladies shower/toilet area of the campsite we were staying at if her hair straighteners would work if she plugged them in to the socket.

So not only had this woman taken her hair straighteners she doubted if there was electricity

franksinatra

Latest useless wife purchase is a vango wardrobe. FFS

Just returned from our brilliant camping trip to Loch Voil but I can now expand on the previous reply I offered to this thread. Whist in the tent getting set up I (reluctantly) shouted out to Mrs S asking if she would like to come in to assemble her new wardrobe. The reply that came back was chilling

‘I will be there in a minute, just as soon as I have finished putting the bunting up…..’

Houns

😆

fubar
    Free Member

My wife managed to smuggle a vinyl tablecloth past me and on to the campsite. She was very pleased with herself until I admitted to forgetting the table !

Houns

Good to use as a picnic blanket then

Spin
    Free Member

A book.

grahamt1980

Having read this thread I am incredibly happy by the fact that when I mentioned the wardrobe and bunting comments to my wife, she just assumed people were joking.
    I feel I have got a good one

lucien

caffeineoldbean – Member
    Condoms.

POSTED 3 DAYS AGO #

Could double up with this?

scholarsgate – Member
    My wife seems to think that a plastic carrier bag is an acceptable form of luggage for whatever we take useless or not!

POSTED 3 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

You are welcome, saves weight as well….

shermer75
    Free Member

Tent repair patches, inherited them from my parents who never used them either. They are 40 years old this year 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Just about every thing about camping to be honest
    Especially communal Toilet block things, just basic
    primitive lifestyle.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What is the most useless piece of camping equipment you always take…’ is closed to new replies.