Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What is the lightest 1 man tent.
  • ton

looking for a very lightweight 1 man tent.

dont want to bivi, last time we did that, a mate ended up with a slug up his nostril.

simondbarnes

The Easton Kilo is pretty damn light.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dunno fella, but my MSR Hubba is pretty damn light at just over 1kg..

There are loads of stupidly light, but stupidly priced ones out there.. 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

isnt it terra nova lazer competition (or other lazer variant)

ive been very happy with their two man tents but i have seen people on here moan about terra nova.

Stoner
    Free Member

possibly not the lightest, but just got an email from cotswoldoutdoors about this mountain hardware tent:

on offer at £100.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/code/71110043/cm_mmc_o=4zbkltBfCjCm5wgbzkCjCqBgLjPBffBFj3AkYCjCVyBpvnjbFT

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

terra nova lazer competition? 860 grammes with carbon fibre pegs

http://www.tiso.com/shop/terra-nova/laser_competition/

slackman99
    Free Member

It’s the lazer ultra (all £650 of it)

Pieface

Consider a lightweight 2 man tent unless weight / pack size is of absolute priority.

martinh
    Free Member

Gossamer Gear had The One which was incredibly light but seem to have stopped making it due to ‘fabric issues’. Take a look at Six Moon Designs Lunar One and Skyscapes for something similar.

large418
    Free Member

Terra Nova Laser Comp – excellent little tent, roomy for one, very cosy for 2. You can go lighter with a single skin tent, but expect some condensation – the old Polaris tent was about 600gram, but very hard to come by. SupAir tents are also V light. Considered a hooped bivvy bag? They are OK, with some space around the head end

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’ve used the old Polaris (single skin) tent – wasn’t very good as foot was very low and prone to condensation soaking the end of your sleeping bag. Also quite low front door.

I owned a KIMMLite sub kilo which was a similar design but with a high front porch (good for cooking and getting in. Bit heavy/large pack size though

I also owned a Sup AIr, which was a brilliant roomy single skin tent – less prone to condensation problems because of its high volume, but also because it let loads of air through it due to holes above the doors at both ends – so it was chilly – also it had a ludicrously low front door so getting in and out was a right faff.

Currently using a Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 tent for mountain marathons, which is a similar design to the Laser Comp, but a bit smaller and lighter. Sleeps one or two at a squeeze (head to toe) – about .7 kg

The new laser ultra is even smaller and lighter, but I don’t want to spend another £650 just to save another 100 gms.

Terra Nova tents are generally all V good quality and customer service is top. I broke the pole on my Photon (or rather it broke in high winds (manufacturing fault on spigot – not design problem)) and they replaced the whole pole by return of post. If you look around the camp at any mountain marathon these days about 50% + (including almost all elite teams) will be using Terra Nova tents.

Laser comp is probably best compromise for the non-fanatic.

ton

fancied on of these.
    nice big way in.
    will i notice the weight differance between this and a terra nova lasr.

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN70309

crikey
    Free Member

ton, that much money buys a lot of B&Bs, and a similar amount of good nights sleep.

I’m getting a bit old, but the one thing I don’t miss is camping; I work nights so I am familiar with the shitty feeling of ‘not had enough sleep’, and the subsequent crappy day that follows.

Camping/bivvying is great as an adventure, but there comes a time….

ton

crikey………….are you mrs ton?
    she thinks i am nutty too, wanting to sleep in a plastic bin bag.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I sleep sooooooo well in a tent. I look foreword to my first night camping every year. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

It’s like that ‘I want to stay up all night’ thing; it wears off.

rob2
    Free Member

I fancy camping/bivvy action, but then I have two small kids so looking forward to getting a better nights sleep from it 🙂

nickname
    Free Member

terra nova photon.

i have the laser competition, an excellent little tent and quite tough too

rp16v
    Free Member

one man tent/bivy ect all very well but what the hell do u do with the bike to ensure its there the next morning?

Stoner
    Free Member

how many thieves do you plan to meet in the middle of the moors in the dark?

ton

the tent is to be used for cycle touring, staying on sites.
    it is not to be used out in the wilderness. the bike will be locked to a immovable object.

rp16v
    Free Member

good point i guess but id still be weary of it do u just tie a rope to it and hold onto it all night waiting for a tug…(oh errr :wink:)

Stainypants

I have a laser competition and it great piece of kit but the pegs are crap. however if your going for more than a few days i’d get some a bit roomier especially as your not small. That macpac looks a bit taller than the terra nova. I use an old salwa micro which is much more comfortable but its heavy compared to modern two man tents.

Nick

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’ve borrowed my dads macpac for a couple of nights on a campsite and it was superb. nice porch bit for the bag etc.
    I’ve got (not yet used) a vango helium 200 2 person tent which although bigger on the inside and coming in at 1.35kg doesn’t have such a big porch and seems more difficult to put up.
    I can only compare these two but for any serious 4 season stuff the macpac easily, infact the vango probably only wins on weight. and it is damn light.

doh
    Free Member

bought a vango helium 100 (1.1kg) over a year ago with about 3-4weeks spent in it. summer/autumn use mainly but it has put up with very heavy rain for days on end and winds up to 50mph with no problems at all. the only thing bringing it down is at 6ft i sometimes feel a wee bit cramped lying down at full stretch but other than that it is pretty good for a small light tent.

i heard on here some shop selling was selling them for £100ish, cheap enough so you can buy two and have somewhere safe to stow your bike away from all those thieving sheep/deer etc that can be found behind almost every tree 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

crickey – you don’t have the right kit then. I don’t bivvy any more but sleep in my tent weeks a year and sleep as well as I do at home.

ton – Member

the tent is to be used for cycle touring, staying on sites.

In that case go for something a bit bigger IMO – If you are touring the extra comfort helps

big_n_daft
    Free Member

At your size the MacPac is recommended as they are very flexible and you can sit up in them.

They do a lighter “competition” version as well

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hilleberg Akto 1 man… very light & will take anything, have done lots of Scotland in winter & it’s always been fine. Recommended (by me). 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve used the old Polaris (single skin) tent – wasn’t very good as foot was very low and prone to condensation soaking the end of your sleeping bag. Also quite low front door.

I own one of those, and disagree that these are real issues. In normal conditions I find there’s plenty of foot room to keep the tent off my sleeping bag – if it’s blowing hard enough to collapse the tent on you, you’d have the same issue with a Sup-Air, in which case a water resistant outer to your bag is sufficient to keep the filling dry. The low front door is a bit inconvenient, but that’s something you put up with to get the ultra light weight (still lighter than any version of the TN Lazer in stripped down form). Have also used a Sup-Air, and whilst it’s bigger (have slept 3 in one, and fitted 4 in for a while), that’s not necessarily an advantage given how chilly it can be. If you want you can improve the venting on a Polaris shelter to keep the condensation down, but crucially you can also close up shop when it’s cold and to keep the midge out.

As TJ says, I’ve never had problems sleeping well in a tent – when doing MMs/Polaris it’s important to get a solid night sleep in. A decent set of camping kit gets you surprisingly few nights in a B&B anyway, even if that was the point.

qwerty
    Free Member

Coleman Rigel X2 is under 1kg and £70 (got mine for £40) but your feet get wet with condensation 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

What is the lightest 1 man tent.

A YHA card?

I’m with crikey on this one, I’ll camp but it’s a last resort
    Can’t believe I was 50 before I discovered YHAs

Stoner
    Free Member

i sent my membership card BACK to the YHA when I was 30. Bunch of savages the lot of ’em.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-hostels-youve-stayed-in#post-2522141

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ll not go near another youth hostel since I woke up to find the bloke that should have been on the top bunk sat at the edge of my bed staring at me.

But on small tents, I’ve borrowed the macpac side opening one and a long time ago one of the coffin style one mans tents and I much preferred the macpac. More versatile as you can use it as a windbreak, just about sit up in it and it’s easier to get in and out of.

Having said that I would still go for a larger tent for touring, it might weight an extra kilo but the additional space is well worth it especially if the weather turns foul. For comfort I’d subtract 1 person from whatever the manufacturer says it will sleep.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got a Terra Nova Laser Photon Elite… very light, comes with rediculous Ti pegs.. it’s somewhere to sleep and that’s about it.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ton a chap your size might want something a touch bigger than the usual TN stuff. Perhaps take a look at something like a GoLite Shangri-la 3.

Here’s a pic of mine (2nd post down) next to a TN, the Shangri-la weighs less.

http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/pages/trips.html

ericemel
    Free Member

I personally chose a MSR Carbon Reflex 2 – its a tight 2 man or a spacious one man. only 1.2kg. I have had 1 mans before and find the space too much of a compromise.

MSR Carbon

Stoner
    Free Member

second golite stuff.

Mrs S and I lived out of a Den 2 for 3 months.

Im 6’4″ and had plenty of space. Weighs about 1.5Kg. Only problem is the 22″ min pack length due to the poles.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i’ve got a terra nova laser comp from a few years ago (only titanium pegs, pfft) and i have to say, as well as weighing nothing and packing extremely small, it’s also very easy and quick to put up well, and very comfortable (if there’s just one of you) all round – headroom, porch, double skin.. really worth the cash.

drain

I love my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 (here) – very funky layout and versatile options for whether to use the inner / outer / both.

You could go lighter but at under 1.1kg all in / 0.9kg as outer only, and a low pack volume, it suits me just fine. It was also a bargain when I bought it 🙂

@Rob – just say the word, I’ll head up to yours on the Ridgeway! 😀

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

ton,

I have a vango 1 man which weighs about 1.3kg and gives me plenty of room so would be snug but ok for you (rode with you once with some Mlehers on the Calderdale MTB challenge route so am aware of your size)

I’m in Rastrick and you’re welcome to borrow it rather anytime rather than splashing out.

dangerousDOTbeansAThotmailDOTcom if you’re interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What is the lightest 1 man tent.’ is closed to new replies.