• This topic has 4,400 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by tthew.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 4,401 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • CountZero

Haven’t been on this thread for a while, I love the hacked Altoids tin, they’re a common base for all sorts of EDC, I’ve got several small first aid kits using those tins, but that’s extra special, really nicely done.

The Cotic spatter paint is superb, I like the colour mix.

The only thing I’ve done lately is make a besom for leaf-sweeping duties later in the year. I found a dead but nicely seasoned hazel stick about nine feet long, almost perfectly straight which I cut into two and trimmed to useful length, one to re-handle an old rake I found, the other for a besom, and I cut a whole load of thin saplings of various sorts, ash, hazel, some other shrub, blackthorn and a couple of thin yew, bundled them together with galvanised wire and pushed the sharpened hazel down the middle and trimmed the free ends.

Worked quite nicely, just big enough to do the lawn, and the patio.

ebygomm
    Free Member

House warming present – map papercut

AlexSimon

Made an exhibit for local Library and schools.
    It’s a 3D Relief map of the local area.

1) Got UK LIDAR data from http://environment.data.gov.uk/ds/survey/#/survey
    You can get it with or without buildings. This is with.

2) Converted data into .stl using AccuTrans 3D – http://www.micromouse.ca/
    (instructions here: 4.2 : https://edutechwiki.unige.ch/…/3D_printing_of_digital_eleva…)

3) Print each 1km square VERTICALLY (I did 6 at a time) So that you keep a clean lithophane-type surface.

4) Used Bing maps to screenshot the OS map and got it laminated.

5) Made frame from plywood + some 3D printed bits. Used this technique for doing the printing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq2O66QGCwg&t=16s
    Then OSMO oiled over the top.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/238nMJ1]Relief-map-12[/url] by Alex Simon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25Th8oV]Relief-map-3[/url] by Alex Simon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24N8DEf]Relief-map-20[/url] by Alex Simon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24N8MKU]Relief-map-8[/url] by Alex Simon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/238nKHh]Relief-map-14[/url] by Alex Simon, on Flickr

swdan
    Free Member

AlexSimon, I like that!

edd

Agreed, that is awesome AlexSimon.

bodgy
    Free Member

Love that paper cut, ebygomm. What a totally lovely gift.

AlexSimon

Thanks boh

ebygomm – as you can tell above, I’m a fan of maps – that looks fantastic!

avdave2

Another fan of that map but you need to print me a little bicycle I can play with on there 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

ebygomm – as you can tell above, I’m a fan of maps – that looks fantastic!

It’s cheating really, when you have a papercutter 🙂 Takes about 10 minutes to produce a dxf file for it from openstreetmap data

AlexSimon

Are those paper cutters good ebygomm?
    What model do you have?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have a silhouette portrait. It’s a few years old now so there may be better stuff about now, but no complaints about mine. It’s limited to A4 sizes, couldn’t justify the cost bump to get the larger sized cameo – at the time it was about twice the price.

colournoise

Well, the grass frame is finally done…

Or so I thought…

I want the frame to look ‘raw’ (truth to materials and all that) so happy with the way it looks and feels. Started to fit components…

Cranks don’t clear chainstays and inner ring fouls BB/chainstay junction. Some sanding and further filling/wrapping required there (although going 1 x 10  – see below – will solve one of those issues).

Rear wheel still not quite straight, so more dropout filing to do.

Due to the HUGE seat tube it’s awkward/impossible to mount the clamp front derailleur supplied (anyone know where I can get ‘braze on’ mounts that I can bond on?) so probably going roadie 1 x 10 with a 44t.

Build pack supplied by the bamboo company included totally the wrong forks (it’s taken me so long to build the thing it’s probably not worth raising this now so some usable forks ordered).

Having said all that, I quite like the thing. Just hope it rides OK.

sirromj

I like this thread. Would like to post better stuff… I’m not even going to photograph the latest thing I made. – a wrist roller for wrist/forearm strengthening exercises (google it). A 60cm length of 38mm PVC pipe with two holes drilled in with a loop of inner gear cable coming out of the holes (one end secure with wrapped round a bolt and held with a nut). Then loop the cable around the handle of a 4 litre milk bottom filled to desired weight. Hold pipe in both hands shoulder width apart. Rotate pipe to lift milk. At top reverse rotation to lower milk. At bottom don’t stop, continue so milk raises again. At top lower milk. You might want to stop here.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Are works in progress allowed here? I started making a new sea kayak over Easter. This one is from 3mm plywood and following the plans from CNC Kayaks.

Joining 8ft ply into 18ft panelsJoining 8ft ply to make 18ft panels

Mostly, at this stage I’m just making A Mess. Original sea kayak seen lurking in the top left.

Mostly, at this stage I am making A Mess.

AlexSimon

ooh – that’s a big man cave! – Jealous.
    Look forward to seeing progress.

colournoise

It’s finally finished.

AlexSimon

Been for a ride in the sun colournoise?
    What’s it like?

epicyclo

Bit crude, but very useful when you need it.

For scale, it’s about the thickness of a spoke.

Bike geek points for anyone who can guess what it’s for. 🙂

fasthaggis

Chainlifteronerer 😉

colournoise

Been for a ride in the sun colournoise?
    What’s it like?

I have today (although TBH I missed the sun by about an hour). First proper shakedown ride. Not had a road bike since I was about 14 so not much to compare it to. It hasn’t fallen apart and goes in a straight line (more than the bike that inspired me to build one did – if you saw Sean Conway’s TV show you’ll know what I mean) so I can’t complain. Some slight flex at the BB under heavy load but I can live with that as it’s only going to be a pootler / training bike / commuter. Need to tweak the chainline with some BB spacers and at some point soon I think the rear brake will need to be switched to a cable disk due to the way I built the seat stay brake mount. Also need to sort some bottle / pump / tool mounts out – got them in the kit but haven’t done them yet.

Only thing I’m not sure on is the length – it’s a ‘small’ kit but feels REALLY long – riding on the hoods feels VERY stretched out – not sure whether this is me not being used to a road riding position or whether I need to get an inline seatpost / shorter stem?

Has brought home to me the idea of right tool for the right job – it’s so much faster than even my slick-shod singlespeed MTB on the roads.

epicyclo

Not its actual purpose, but it will also be used for that,

Another guess? 🙂

Nice build colournoise.

maccruiskeen

Another guess?

is it for blowing bubbles?

epicyclo

maccruiskeen

is it for blowing bubbles?

Didn’t think of that. I’ll now start carrying a wee bottle of soapy water. 🙂

It’s for an Alfine hub. A great help for slacking the gear cable mechanism when you want to remove/replace the rear wheel. I have made quite a few before but they often get lost.

So this one has a loop, and goes here where it mystifies bike enthusiasts and can’t get lost. (Hopefully)

Mowgli
    Free Member

Sea kayak progress – looks slightly more boat shaped now.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh, I thought it was a podger. For packing the end of a doob. Did wonder why you never just stole a fire extinguisher pin like anyone else.

Oh update: still making an inordinate amount of mess, carry on.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Getting ready for Pedal On Parliament in Edinburgh at the weekend with my BMX sidecar.

househusband

Haven’t done much woodturning over the last several months thanks to tennis elbow, haven’t even ridden a bike this year… but spent a few hours at the lathe this morning – a small winged bowl from yew:

tjagain

Love the bmx sidecar.  Heavy to pedal I guess

bearnecessities

That would make an excellent baby robin holder.

kayak23

^^^lollercopters.

Sea kayak looks great Mowgli. Be interested to see how that progresses.

mrpeaski
    Free Member

Simple ‘rig’ for when I’m playing racing games on the PC,

The seat was from a Volvo S40

househusband

@bearnecessities  🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Fabric grocery bag with some of my bike fabric

cynic-al
    Free Member

I didn’t make this, but my brother and another designed the bodyshell:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/brabham-bt62-ps12m-700bhp-track-only-supercar

househusband

Just completed my first project with new mid-life crisis toy – a MIG welder:

finishthat
    Free Member

A baby robin could burn its bum on that perch !

househusband

A baby robin could burn its bum on that perch !

I know!  Not much mean on a baby robin, unfortunately…

jonm81

When out riding with my 3 1/2 year old daughter she sometimes gets tired and wants to go in the trailer.  This means jamming her bike in the back like this:

I decides to make a bike rack for the back of the Burley Cub trailer to hole her bike

Started welding up some brackets

Then made a detachable frame from 20mm tube

It worked well today and made carrying her and her bike much easier on the trip to the park today and now I can keep my backpack full of kids stuff in the trailer boot rather than on my back. 🙂

spooky_b329

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.  ARRGGGHHHHHH!

Pallet bike rack for the work van, fits my fat tyred-wide barred mtb, and my roadie 🙂

spooky_b329

jonm81 – have you not read about safe weight distribution? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 4,401 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.