• This topic has 4,407 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by kayak23.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 4,408 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • CountZero

Thanks mate! It’s painted black now and looks a lot better. WRrong paint though – rubs off as soon as it’s touched. All a learning experience!

Might be worth trying a metallic paint as an undercoat, then giving it a black topcoat; if the black wears, it’ll show the metallic, giving a patinated effect. It’s finding a paint that really sticks, so acrylic, polyurethane, cellulose, something like that.
    Very much a learning thing, though, I’m carving a bunch of butter spreaders at the mo’, trying different shapes to see what works best, not a quick thing to do, each one takes a couple of hours to get the basic shape, with more time taken to get a decent finish. I’ll never make money from them, but they’ll make nice little pressies for friends and family.
    I need some walnut oil to soak them in as well.

bencooper
    Free Member

Wrote another book:

Linky

For myself, really 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

You ever fancied getting into Hunterston A?

With writers credentials like that I’m sure you would have no bother…

Nice book though, some of the old boys here might be interested. Linked to it in the SSC Inverclyde thread, folk on there lap up books.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’d love to, but don’t fancy getting shot 😀

AlexSimon

Really appreciate all the things on this thread.
    Thanks for sharing everyone!

DezB
    Free Member

Dog finished, much grief – especially when I knocked it off the windowsill and 3 legs and it’s head broke off 😆 GF was happy with it as a present 🙂

fasthaggis

Nice one Dezb,looks good.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bloody hell. I thought it was a lot bigger than that. 🙂

Nice work though.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Finished the wet room last week….large format tiles (900×50) on the floor, brick bond. For the fall to the drain, I didn’t want the angles to be obvious, as it makes the grout lines look too busy, so I used a dry cut and beveled the rear edge, to create the illusion that they were still complete tiles….it doesn’t even look like there is a fall now :0)

bencooper
    Free Member

Bloody hell. I thought it was a lot bigger than that.

Yes, I thought it was life size 😉

Looks really good though.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks Ben… although, not sure how it looks any bigger iin my previous pics! It was balanced on a little vid camera and there’s a Singletrack mag in one shot! 😆

footflaps

More Ply based weight lifting stuff…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CN8asE]Jerk Blocks[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CN8anu]Jerk Blocks[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Hobster
    Free Member

That tiling is impressive.

qwerty
    Free Member

Jerk blocks? Blocks to jerk off from?? Whatever happened to a healthy clean before jerking???

mark90
    Free Member

Are those holes at the right height for jerking? 😯

maccruiskeen

Jerk blocks? Blocks to jerk off from?? Whatever happened to a healthy clean before jerking???

No – you don’t understand – the Jerk is inside, the air holes are so he can breath, the weights are on top are to stop him escaping. The second box is there as a warning to others.

footflaps

the air holes are so he can breath

They’re actually so the wood can breath, the timber sub-frame is a bit damp as the builder’s merchant stores it all outside…..

fruitbat

Back onto an Engineering theme… home made Precision Level

kayak23

Mmm. That is right on so many levels. I’d quite like a posh level like that… 🙂

stavromuller
    Free Member

We needed to do a tracking shot for a promo vid, so out came the Lego
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYNApeb0N6g[/video]
    It worked pretty good

nach
    Free Member

Ooh, nice work stavromuller. Dual lines seem to do a nice job of correcting the initial acceleration wobble.

I made an RC camera dolly once, and it worked, but would need a lot of revisions and tuning to get unpleasant vibrations out of the single line design:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-Cable-Dolly-for-Small-Format-Cameras-and-Phones/

If I ever get the time, I’ll make a V2 with a rock crawler motor or a small gearbox.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2016-01-26_08-27-31

beamers

Knocked up a log store out of some pallets, bits of fence, a large piece of wriggly tin, oh and some large boulders to hold the roof on in the high wind:

A bit rough and ready but it cost nothing and hopefully it should do the job.

bencooper
    Free Member

This is more in the category of making stuff to make stuff, but I made a tube notching setup that’s very quick to adjust and use:

Can handle tubes up to 50mm, angles up to 45 degrees, and can slot tubes too by just changing the arbor.

nach
    Free Member

A basic bearing press, partly just because I wanted to learn how to use a Bridgeport, partly because I’d already been turning delrin bits to hold bearings on the bits of wood and threaded rod I was using before. I’d make it more neatly a second time…

The acme threaded rod and nuts came from a 3D printer parts supplier, but have just enough play in them I’ll probably buy a tap and redo it with my own parts.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pics broken…

nach
    Free Member

Weird, showing up here in browsers that haven’t loaded them before. Some ISPs seem to have massive caching issues with imgur though. Links:

http://imgur.com/n2xg0De

View post on imgur.com

fasthaggis

Nach

Very nice.
    I might make something similar,now that I am going in to a world of pressfit BB

CountZero

The doggie looks really good, Dez, I’d be chuffed with that.
    Just modded a very tatty little hatchet I found lurking out in the shed, rusty, very blunt, worm eaten and rotten handle, so I thought I’d have a go at cutting it into a different shape for carving;
    Original with new hickory handle:

Finished version:

All work done with a clearance sale angle grinder from Homebase, cost £8.30, with a 3mm cutting disc and a 6mm grinding disc, and a couple of sets of cheap 2nd-cut files.
    Edge re-bevelled with a file, then finished off wit coarse and extra fine diamond ‘stones’ and leather strops.
    It’s very sharp now!

flanagaj
    Free Member

Concrete desk lamp

somafunk

Helped an elderly neighbour clean out his shed t’day and found an old but very sturdy 18″ rake head so i took it home and cut it down so that the head would fit in the bottom of my rucksack, i ground a slight edge on the left hand tines so i can use it for bush wacking/briar removal. For a handle i rummaged about in the garage and found some very thick alloy tubing so i carefully tapered the end to a very snug/tight fit in the rake head then drilled it to accept a bolt and stuck an old mtb grip on the handle.

Quite chuffed with my wombling n’ bodging, it works perfectly for raking the debris off my trails and the bush wacking ability is very decent as the angle of the tines are relatively flat when swinging it so you get a good cut close to the ground. Obviously it won’t stand up to heavy abuse but for a quick groom of the trails it’s seems to do the job just fine.

The top of the handle does protrude from my rucksack by 20″ so i’ll have to remember not to cycle under low branches otherwise i’ll be on my arse.

pictonroad

Cor, that lamp is marvellous.

CountZero

Love the bushwacker, that’s a great bit of repurposing! And the lamp is just lovely, a great piece of industrial design; it wouldn’t look out of place in a high-end shop. 😀

househusband

That lamp is really, really nice flanagaj!

kayak23

flanagaj – Member
    Concrete desk lamp

Love the lamp flanagaj. Really nice. Lush finish on the concrete.

I’ve just finished making some lamps this week too.
    I sell some stuff now and again in a shop in Warwick which sells all manner of stuff from craftspeople.
    I like to ‘borrow’ nice shades that I see in places like Ikea, and then basically pimp them with legs/stands, lovely flex and clear plugs etc.
    They seem to sell ok but as ever, folks don’t really quite appreciate the work that goes into them when they’re umming and ahhhing at prices… 😐

I made six of these Sycamore smaller lamps this week(in my holiday time) and one of the bigger ones in Larch and plywood.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Very nice and elegant but why the wonky square inlay/hole/black mark on the bottom of the legs?

AlexSimon

Nice work Kayak!

Pigface
    Free Member

The lamps are very nice, good work.

kayak23

WorldClassAccident – Member
    Very nice and elegant but why the wonky square inlay/hole/black mark on the bottom of the legs?

It’s my logo, branded onto the leg with a brand I had made which I heat with a gas torch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 4,408 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.