• This topic has 4,392 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by deus.
Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 4,393 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • kayak23

Loving the Sylvanian families tent 🙂

I’ve been making a small Cherry and Oak box to hold a small sculpture/award. The award is a bronze of a stag beetle.
    I’m adding a brass beetle inlay in the lid to tie them.

Used a 1mm router to try to cut some of the leg material away, and made a tiny chisel out of a jigsaw blade.

samuri
    Free Member

cripes! That’s intricate. Well done.

Stoner
    Free Member

gorgeous work kayak. nice one.

leffeboy

The work in progress pics are great as well. That looks like a huge amount of work

CountZero

Wow, kayak, that’s superb work!
    Nowhere near as impressive as what most have shown, but within my limited range of skills, and facilities, I’m quite pleased with this belt. Brasswork from one I bought years ago, but was now too short, so I bought some 4mm vegetable tanned harness leather, skived down one end, drilled it with a 2mm drill, stained it, then stitched it with white waxed thread, and punched it to fit. Couple of evening’s work, and it’s no longer lurking unused in a drawer:

fasthaggis

This thread never disappoints ,well done people.

Kayak ,what do you use to stop the brass work tarnishing after it’s finally in place?

maccruiskeen

it’s no longer lurking unused in a drawer:

And now it holds your drawers up.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

kayak23

Kayak ,what do you use to stop the brass work tarnishing after it’s finally in place?

I don’t think ultimately you can stop it tarnishing but I would imagine following the oil and wax finish I’ll give the whole thing that a bit of a buff up with a kitchen scourer or light wire wool and a little more wax would bring it back to shine.

First time I’ve done it actually so basically I am making up the above! 😉

fasthaggis

🙂

Hah ,thanks

I have a bit of brass inlay stuff to do in teak,and keep wondering if I should just forget about trying to keep it all shiny .

kayak23

Nah, shiny shiny shine shine… 🙂

maxtorque

ir_bandito
    Fire Practice Tower Tubing Thingy

OK, i give up, what is it? Other than a use for lots of very large zip ties!

DrP

^^ It’s the ultimate fairground whack-a-rat stall…

DrP

Swelper
    Free Member

ir_bandito
    Fire Practice Tower Tubing Thingy

I suspect water is introduced at the base, the larger ducting pipe acts as a reservoir. Or a method of pumping out water

Im probably miles away from what it actually is

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is it for when you need a wee in the middle of the night?

CountZero

😆

lyrikal
    Free Member

It’s a jean suspension system!

kayak23

Fuming the Oak before and after, in a sealed cabinet. The ammonia reacts with the tannins in the Oak, making it chocolatey brown.
    Mmmmm Chocolatey..

It’s for this bronze of a Stag Beetle that Martin Clunes is waving about here..
    Hope it’s big enough! :-/

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLvbFFX64nk[/video]

chives
    Free Member

That looks great Kayak! I’ve not come across that process before – do you have to neutralise the fuming or does it just cease once the ammonia’s removed? Does it affect the glue joints?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve decided to give fitting a log burner a go..
    So today I made the hearth.

As Mondays go, it was a good ‘un.

Next weekend? Tiling.

docstar
    Free Member

Made a sawhorse last night, gonna use it to cut logs though, timber and saw is for illustration only.

Lummox

[video]http://youtu.be/18ZBlyReaCw[/video]

To follow on from the drill tower, here is pumping drills exhibiting jet reaction and pumping finesse.

We made a water powered flying thing

kayak23

do you have to neutralise the fuming or does it just cease once the ammonia’s removed? Does it affect the glue joints?

You don’t neutralise it and it doesn’t affect the glue. That’s about as dark as that will go now. It was in the fuming chest all weekend. You can do it at home in a sealed bag if you fancy a go. I’m really into it at the moment.
    The cherry surrounding has darkened a bit too. I didn’t expect that as it’s not known to react , but it’s definitely got darker. Looks great in the flesh though. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Made a sawhorse last night, gonna use it to cut logs though, timber and saw is for illustration only.

Can you post a video of you trying to saw logs in that clutter please. 😉

Swelper
    Free Member

docstar: May I suggest bracing the opposing legs. Thirsty work that sawing mind 😯

docstar
    Free Member

Gonna put a strap round the bottom legs so it can’t spread and it’ll double as keeping it together when folded. I’ll do any cutting outside that’s the missus’ work mess in there.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I suspect water is introduced at the base, the larger ducting pipe acts as a reservoir. Or a method of pumping out water

Im probably miles away from what it actually is
    Yup.

Its a full-scale model of the access pipe to a nuclear waste vault.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

nedrapier

I was given some offcuts from the flat upstairses’s’ss oak worktop. Added up nicely to what I needed for a Musson truing stand.

An extra wide verion – the uprights are 40mm wider in total than Mr. Musson’s pattern, and the available width on the base was only 28mm wider than Mr Musson’s 300mm. But with recesses cut for the plates to be flush with the wood and 5mm steel rather than 6mm steel, we’re bob-on. Which is a bit academic, as I can’t really see myself building 150mm hubs, but it’s nice that I could if I wanted!

Bolts are recessed in the base in a 13mm slot, which keeps the bolt heads from spinning on tightening and means I could do away with the battons at either end and not scratch the dining room table. But this created another problem in that it’s quite hard to pick up – I might cut handholds out of the bottom/side edge of the of the base.

Other things left to do are radial/lateral guides, glue back the chip on the right hand upright, and investigate some whitewash/lime finish for the base, and then oil the lot. Or just build these two wheels and put it away. It works!

nedrapier

Good work wopster. I fancy a curry now. Is that wrong, before 11?

nedrapier

Oh, and I made a hole in my hand as well, in that big muscle at the base of your thumb. A classic: “This is dangerous, I should probably find a safer method. But I’m being careful, so it’ll be fine.”

Stabbed myself really quite hard with a wood chisel. Made a proper job of it: a nice deep one that I could see stuff in. Luckily the mrs was out so I could get myself steri-stripped up without unnecessary questioning.

dantsw13

My Firepit Terrace!!

[/url]
    Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

stevied
    Free Member

Here’s a few pics of the balance bike I’m making for my daughter. Main tubeing is 2″ aluminium. Head tube, seat tube, swing arm and stem are CNC machined. Forks are modified Fox 36 uppers with CNC machined dropouts…
    [IMG]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww299/deesta-pics/IMAG2087_zpsfe1389ce.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww299/deesta-pics/IMAG2196_1_zpsaff0b37a.jpg[/IMG]

samuri
    Free Member
    CountZero

To paraphrase Ian Dury, there ain’t ‘alf some clever bastards!

ben
    Free Member

That balance bike is ace. Dibs if you ever part with it? 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks Ben.

Dibs if you ever part with it?

It’ll be going on the wall once it’s been outgrown 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Meant to share this a month or so ago – a door !

Well, a bodged attempt at a door. I wanted something thick and reasonably strong so went custom with some treated timber from the local wood yard. Never attempted anything like it before so it was a bit rough but turned out okay in the the end.

Here are the bits of timber glued together and drying. I used some solvent based Gripfill which wasn’t ideal, especially as I applied a little too much to start with. You live and learn…

A bit of a leap and it’s been chopped and the top and bottom bits put on, sanded and painted.

…and here it is just hanging. Finished with the bracing in the inside…

teasel
    Free Member

It wasn’t actually mounted on the horizontal like that, just doesn’t seem to want to behave…

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 4,393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.