• This topic has 4,392 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by deus.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 4,393 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • tymbian
    Free Member

@Samuri…..fantastic work. Kudos

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Your stuff is getting better all the time samuri. (I mean, it started out good, but that one’s great 😀 )

giantx4
    Free Member

Amazing detail!

spooky_b329

Seeing as we are moving into garden projects:

Six weeks of digging through virgin chalk by hand to get the garden back away from the house!

AlexSimon

Samurai – love the areas either side of his nose. Fantastic work!

DrP

Following inspiration from AlexSimon in this here thread, I felt the need to chop wood and make a bed!
    It went from this

To this

To this

To this

To THIS!!!

😆

DrP

Cougar

I’ve nothing constructive (ho ho) to add, just wanted to say I’m in awe of some of the stuff on here. Mightily impressive.

AlexSimon

oooh – DrP – that’s come out lovely! The three cubby holes look great.
    Some nice router work 🙂

DrP

Cheers Alex 🙂

I had to change the plan from the ‘shelf’ to ‘cubby hole’ arrangement as there was only 350mm of ‘space’ on the face of the bed. Thus it would have been too short for useable shelves. These cubby holes/storage boxes are really useful, and the back of them also supports the bed platform as well – this thing is so over engineered it’s oresum! (one of the reasons I dislike the cheaper bought bed frames – they don’t pass the “DrP push test” – if I can rock it back and forth, it’s no good!!)

DrP

giantx4
    Free Member

Dr p rocks!

samuri
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Great bed. That could double as a cage too. 😉

DrP

^^
    With the addition of some bars and a lock over the hole in the end piece, I’d have myself a prison of demi-Fritzel-esque proportions!

The downside is that when littleP has been naughty, he runs under his bed to hide! It’s a bit of a tight space to be wrestling a toddler in!

My next garden project is to build a replica of this:

I think it’ll be easier than the bed, TBH.
    What sort of wood would I be looking for? Weatherproof off the shelf, or standard wood, and then proof it?

DrP

mugsys_m8

Nice work Dr P!

messiah
    Free Member

Great stuff as usual.

I’ve nothing to show for my latest efforts but thats the whole point… ethernet cables now run throughout the house connecting all the gadgets via a router hidden away under the stairs. Wireless was struggling due to the thick walls and now everything is working as it should. Worth the effort and scraped knuckles.

Retaining wall in the garden for privacy hedging is the next project if the weather ever improves 😐

theflatboy
    Free Member

oooh, I can join in on this now. What used to be a shitty, uneven, crumbling, tarmaccy disgrace is now this:

The finished decking by theflatboy, on Flickr

DrP

Neat decking – I’ve a nice DIY book that I often peruse through, and the decking methods look really satisfying to do!

DrP

mogrim

The finished decking by theflatboy, on Flickr

That looks great, was thinking of doing something similar in my back garden… How difficult was it to do? Have you got any plans you could share?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I made a nice little space for a bench in my wood, on a little path that catches the early morning sun and overlooks a pretty little pool on the brook.

I’m looking forward to sitting and drinking my morning coffee there… 3 tons of crush-n-run and 2 tons of self-binding gravel to barrow down there first… 🙁

It was quite nice to utilise all that GCSE mathematics – pi, trigonometry etc – for the first time in 25 years…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers, chaps. We are lucky that my father-in-law is a total legend when it comes to any sort of home refurb projects, so I basically did what I was told and that was the end result. Don’t really have any plans – the structure to get the deck level, with a slope to drain the water, is not too complicated, just a case of digging out and laying foundations so that the frame could be built to a level and screwing the boards on the top. It was more time consuming than complicated.

There was a very useful leaflet we based it on that gave guidance on distance between supporting joists etc. to get it rock solid, the rest is bespoke to the space.

And mogrim, it wasn’t that difficult, just a case of getting it all set out right with marker pen, spirit levels and string and then building it up to the right level. As above, it just took a while. You can’t see in the picture, but there are also surface led lights to make it look fully swish!

DrP

Guys and Gals – get This book, sit down and have a read, then give all sorts of home projects a go!

It’s got a great section on decking (as mentioned above) with simple but ‘real’ instructions and advice – joist spacing etc etc..

Well worth the few quid just for inspiration alone!

DrP

theflatboy
    Free Member

Presumably that edition includes instruction on how to erect a camping spot under the shade of a coolabah tree? 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

@ Dr P………great work on the bed. Here’s a pirate ship ( sand-pit ) I prepared earlier

Stoner
    Free Member

A favourite knife with a crap handle has been slowly dying in the dishwasher.

Dug a bit of apple tree wood out of the wood shed and some a’wittlin’ later:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Oil on card, a sketch I’d long since forgotten about. I repainted a few bits and reframed it.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ You see, Im not going to try any more.
    the competition is too great 😉

dammint, mcm, a chainsaw and a delicate hand!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stoner, it’s what I studied, I wouldn’t know one side of a spreadsheet from a bed sheet.

The sketch was a fortuitous find. It inspired me to try a bigger oil painting that I test fitted into it’s frame today. I used to paint a lot of stuff like this but somehow I’ve been sidetracked lately. I may try some more if the mood takes me.

Here’s one from back in the day.

Stoner
    Free Member

hah! Superb. It has a very different energy to your landscapes (not to mention palette).
    I’m going to have to come up for a visit and get you to scribble on a napkin. For the kids inheritance, you understand 😉

Love the taxi. Klimt 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

McKlimpt perhaps.

Here’s the original, it’s in the City of Edinburgh collection.

They selected the image for the Taxi from the collection to promote the reopening of the City’s museums after a major refurb.

If you are up in my neck of the woods give me a shout, I’m a very Scottish recluse, if I’m not here I will be in California or Oregon.

EDIT The icing on the cake here was that this exhibition and banner were sponsored by my ex wife’s divorce solicitors.

Stoner
    Free Member

jeez. I dont know how you can stay quite so humble with that kind of frontage!

AlexSimon

Very impressive McMoonter!

matt_outandabout

Great.
    *is also mcmooonter jealous*

samuri
    Free Member

Excellent work McMoonter. I’m seriously impressed.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Stuff like the above doesn’t happen every day but it gives you a shot in the arm when it does.

tang
    Free Member

I’m off to see my Dad soon, here’s a bit of handmade functional ware.
    [/url]
    Dads kiln by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]
    Biscuit firing opened up, opening the kiln after a firing is very exciting, esp when the glaze is on. He has diaries for every firing since 1968! Bit of glaze on:
    [/url]
    Dads by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]
    I know I didn’t make it but he is an inspiration, made a good living from his workshop in the woods. Now semi retired and widowed he has his camper van out the back with the carp rods in, takes off when he fancies does music festivals and has a large guitar collection. He makes large gallery pieces but his heart is in functional stuff.

Cheezpleez

Sourdough

Cheezpleez

That pottery’s great. I did an evening course a few years back and loved it. It’s part of my fantasy semi-retirement plan…

messiah
    Free Member

First go at blockwork. Built a retaining wall so I can plant a hedge and gain a little privacy for the front of the house.

Looks better now the topsoil is all in and the hedge is planted 😳

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I love this thread! some very talented people about, contrary to what we’re led to believe by the media, Britain is still a nation producing things, quality stuff too!
    Here’s my 2 pennorth anyway, had a few lunchtimes’ in these bits….
    70mm stem on work bike;

Shimano Parallax hub, converted to cartridge bearing, new axle, washers etc.

No name fron disc hub, converted to cartridge bearing, new axle, spacers, nuts etc. Uses a velosolo 18t cog.

Looking into making a new hub, basically same operation, but with flanges as wide apart as a fixed frame will allow…..

Road shifter mount for my 5 speed Karate Monkey

Got a few other things, I’ve knocked up too for other people (mostly, I’m afraid, VERY Paul Comp. “Inspired”. Ahem.)
    Next few projects are taking a load of broken BMX frames for a flatland bike and a balance bike.
    Anyone else made a childs balance bike? I really need to get a decent set of measurments, angles etc. Anyone?

sargey

[img]http://[/img]
    Aportable photobooth for use at weddings parties etc

porter_jamie

nice stem

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 4,393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.