Viewing 35 posts - 281 through 315 (of 315 total)
  • what is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you?
  • Cougar

Yeah, I’ve heard that before. Assuming that that’s the case though, Conservation of Mass would still apply.

cbike
    Free Member

So do Glaswegians – And they will give you directions even if they don’t know.

“How far is it to the mall?”

“Oh, about 45 minutes.”

“Yes, but how far is it?”

*puzzled looks* “About 45 minutes!”

Absolutely no concept of the actual distance, and utterly perplexed as to why anyone would ever want to know or care. Which makes some sort of sense I guess.

andrewh
    Free Member

Colleague at work thought aardvarks were fictional creatures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Do I want to work nights again

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Driving drown a country road with a canopy of branches over it one quiet afternoon:

OH: Look at that.
    Me: What?
    OH: Isn’t amazing that the trees know to leave space for the lorries.
    Me: Yes Dear 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

…I’ve been asked more than once whether hard disks full of data are heavier

Yes they are.

Not by much, but they are heavier.

Also a fully charged battery is heavier than one that’s run flat !

molgrips
    Free Member

Random woman on the cycle line (to her small dog) : “We’ve had this conversation before”

That is a truly wonderful thing to have heard. I love it 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

And a hot cup of tea is (slightly) heavier than a cold one.

langy
    Free Member

When we worked in a ski resort in Colorado, our name tags had our hometown and either state or country as appropriate.

Customer to my wife; So where in Australia is Adelaide?
    Wife; South Australia
    Customer; Yeah but where? Australia is a big country, right? (looking smug)
    Wife; South Australia is the state. You know, like you guys have North Dakota…
    Customer: right… but where is it?
    Wife; …near the beach.
    Customer; oh, nice…

Loading the chairlift with a Kiwi lass,
    Customer; You’re from New Zealand?
    Kiwi; Yep.
    Customer; Cool. I’ve always wanted to go to Europe…

rusty90
    Free Member

You’ve got to love the septics and their geography.

At US immigration:

“Where are you from ?”
    “Wales”
    “That’s in England right ?”
    “No, it’s next to England”
    (looking alarmed) “But you’ve got an English passport”
    “I’ve got a UK passport – the United Kingdom”
    (looking angry) “I reckon you’re English – you got a problem with that ?”
    (sigh) “No”
    “Have a nice visit sir”

chalkntrees
    Free Member

Whilst doing a McDonalds trip for everyone at work I ordered 23 cheeseburgers. The guy behind the counter asked if I was eating in. 😯

barn
    Free Member

I started doing some mountain biking last year.
    A mate said “you should have a look at the Singletrackworld web forum”!? 🙄

Cougar

Yes they are.

Can’t be if it’s a closed system, unless Physics broke when I wasn’t looking.

16stonepig
    Free Member

unless Physics broke when I wasn’t looking

Think it depends what Physics you’re talking about…

GrahamS

(looking angry) “I reckon you’re English – you got a problem with that ?”

Jeebus.

I can usually forgive the poor geography ones. My own geography isn’t fantastic and if I lived in a country that had more states than I could memorise then I suspect I’d struggle to bother with the rest of the world too.

BUT… you would hope that someone working on immigration would have a basic working knowledge of the globe and passports!

I suppose you are lucky you had the sense to agree with him.
    Otherwise you probably be being waterboarded in Gitmo by now.

timber

American tourists are in a league of their own.

Working in Falmouth on a clear day and the satellite station at Goonhilly was visible on the horizon. American tourist comes over and asks what it is on the horizon. Before I get a chance to say, one of the lads pipes up “they’re the cement mixers for the Cornish space project, they’re building a massive runway” American says thanks and went off to tell his wife.

ketchup
    Free Member

A few years ago in my geography class one of the guys asked the question ‘Do you remember the Christmas that was on Friday the 13th?’ to the class in general. The stereotypical dumb blonde pipes up with ‘Oh yeah, that was a couple of years ago wasn’t it?’ The whole class burst out laughing at her and I don’t think she figured out why 😀

Northwind

“more, better capitalism”

sambob
    Free Member

Heard someone say they thought a goose was a baby swan today, although that shouldn’t surprise me, as the guy who said it seems to be pretty lacking on the common sense/general knowledge front…

cheez0
    Free Member

would a frozen cup of tea be heavier than a hot one?

glenh
    Free Member

would a frozen cup of tea be heavier than a hot one?

Yes, that is well stupid. It would be lighter.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve got to love the septics and their geography.

Well if you mean Yank, and if you are talking about Americans in general, then that is pretty ironic 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Well if you mean Yank, and if you are talking about Americans in general, then that is pretty ironic

Really?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=septic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee#In_other_English-speaking_countries

molgrips
    Free Member

Yankees are people from New England. Doesn’t matter how many of us get it wrong, that doesn’t change.

But the point is it’s exactly the same as Americans calling Welsh people English.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thought yankees were one side in the civil war? No?

Junkyard
    Free Member

is it possible that we and the yanks use the same words but they have different meaning to us both …not that radical a thought. However Wales is is not in England.
    Molly your talking out your fanny for example 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

to bum a fag has a rather different meaning on the two sides of the atlantic

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes they are.

Really? How so? I thought the data was stored in the alignment of themagnetic medium

molgrips
    Free Member

So in American ‘England’ means ‘the UK’ – is that allowed then? So you can’t correct them for calling Welsh people English, can you?

TJ, I don’t think they use the term ‘bum’ for anal sex…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

is it possible that we and the yanks use the same words but they have different meaning to us both …not that radical a thought. However Wales is is not in England.

Still, the irony stands

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fair point Dr

andrewh
    Free Member

Holland/The Netherlands? Seem to fairly interchangeable here, just as England/Britain is in the States.

chomp
    Free Member

US immigration is a lot of fun when you’re flying in to any airports in Massachusetts and you’re place of birth is Boston (linconshire).

I went there about 8 times one year on business and more often than not I’d get into a debate over a) – why I had a UK passport when I was born in the US then b) which Boston came first and finally c) a little history lesson about how the area which they live in is called ‘New England’

I usually then proceeded to freak them out even more by telling them I lived in Cambridge (which I then had to follow up with no, not that one, the original one, you know, that’s in England).

I will pretty much believe any stupid quotes that have come from an american, especially where geography (and anything that’s not american in general) is concerned

pistola
    Free Member

“What bird is it that makes that cuckoo sound?”

PJM1974
    Free Member

My partner’s mother asked me if wind turbines have a motor in them to keep them going when there’s no wind…

…bless.

Viewing 35 posts - 281 through 315 (of 315 total)

The topic ‘what is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you?’ is closed to new replies.