Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What is the difference? Rockshox Revelation RL, RLT or RCT3
  • Frodo

Looking for new forks I have a history of destroying forks so durability a must!

What is the difference between the different Revelation models, prinicpally:
    RL £310
    RLT £350
    RCT3 £450

It would be great to have some travel adjust (i.e. duel position) for climbing although from what I can make out none of these have that function – not essential but nice to have.

For hardtail with agressive type XC riding.

Cheers,
    Rich

chakaping
    Free Member

Rebound and lockout
    Rebound, lockout and tomato (or perhaps somethign else starting with T)
    Rebound, compression and three tomatoes

OK, I’m not exactly sure – but the damping gets better the higher up the range you go.

I have an RCT3 and it’s very good, but that is too expensive for it IMO. You might as well get a Pike.

And I’ve not found I’ve needed travel adjust for a few years now, with frame geometry getting better and damping more supportive.

Hope that helps.

🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

It would be great to have some travel adjust (i.e. duel position) for climbing although from what I can make out none of these have that function – not essential but nice to have.

They will if they’re called “Dual-Position”. That’s the spring, the RL, RLT, etc is the damper.

RL= Rebound and lockout (really a low-speed compression) adjustment.
    RLT= rebound, ‘lockout’ and threshold (opens up the damper on big hits if the low-speed comp is closed).
    RCT3= Rebound, compression and threshold (3-positions, kind of like Fox’s CTD stuff, a platform damper with open, middle and closed settings)

Personally I prefer at least an RLT damper as it allows you to dial in some low-speed comp. whilst using the threshold to keep it open for the bigger stuff.

robbonzo
    Free Member

RL- rebound with compression to Lockout.
    RLT – Rebound lockout and threshold
    RCT3 rebound and compression with 3 positions too – open, firm and locked.

I too have the RCT3 and its great and worth the extra. Found the damping abit basic on RLs.

Northwind

RL is more or less the same as old Motion Control, I think? Possibly with the better rebound damper. So if it comes in a set of ancient Pikes everyone’ll declare it brilliant but if it’s in new Revs or Sektors it’ll be rubbish 😉 Actually it’s decent performing, but the adjustment’s not that powerful (short of oil changes or custom work)

RCT3 is a really bit of kit, easy to do meaningful setup work with but also really transparent and easy to understand the changes. Haven’t used RLT.

Frodo

Thanks for info.

I’m thinking the RLT would be a good compromise given the relative costs.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

For RLT does the threshold only apply when the fork is locked out? i.e. the threshold does nothing when riding the forks normally

warpcow
    Free Member

It works when the compression (lockout) dial is anywhere but fully open. The effects are more obviously felt when fully closed though.

nedrapier

Just in case it’s not obvious already, all of these refer to the damping cartridge only.

You can find them on fixed travel forks, or adjustable travel. There will be a separate bit in the spec that tells you about that, e.g. “dual position”, “120-150mm”…

yorkshire89
    Free Member

teethgrinder

Motion Control with FLoodgate adjust – is this equivalent to RLT?

warpcow
    Free Member

Almost certainly.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just got a deal on a Rev RL £274 from Merlin.

Bought as 1 1/8″ steerers (love my orange five and don’t want to get rid for a couple more years) getting harder to source and my Float RLCs will be pretty tired by the time they hit Five years old in September. My new recon RL on my Pinnacle (tapered with Maxle) is so stiff it led me to think the Revs would be a good option.

Anyone gone from that vintage of Fox to Revs? Thoughts??

Superficial
    Free Member

Posh dampers are an acquired taste. Until you’re used to them, you won’t know any different, but once you notice the difference, going back to basic (RL) dampers is horrible. I haven’t directly compared the RLT to RCT3, but my suspicion is that the extra money will be worth it.

My RCT3 Revs are brilliant (2012). Deals on rockshox are pretty common so unless you’re in a hurry, wait for a good deal from Planet X, Merlin etc.

mikertroid
    Free Member

The RLs I’ve got in the post have the MC DNA damper. Just wondering how that compared to older Fox Fit dampers.
    The stiffness in my (100mm) Recons blows the Fox Floats at 140mm away though. Hoping the revs are as stiff.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Superficial,

Just picked up a deal on an RCT3 from Probike. Happy days!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What is the difference? Rockshox Revelation RL, RLT or RCT3’ is closed to new replies.